Ambushing spring turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
steelheadr

RE: Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby steelheadr » February 19th, 2009, 4:24 am

I believe that most turkeys taken are taken by ambush.  I think when one sets up on a bird that the bird is already heading in that direction.  Especially when setting up on the roost at first lite or or pm sits; or at a strutting zone. Maybe less in the midday 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:38 am

When the warmth of the spring comes along and turkeys start struttin,  but the actual "season" isn't in yet...you know b fur ya kin go out n shoot um

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I have confidence in my calling, I just don't call to them in the scouting phase of the season....[:D] Thought ya had me huh?

What's the "scouting phase of the season". 
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 4:43 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> it doesn't make you a spring turkey hunter by any means... <

I didn't say that was the only way I hunted turkeys. I've called in dozens. Your arrogance is astounding. I make no presumptions about the way you hunt and really couldn't care. Like Gobbleman said...here we go again.

As for your stalking skills, preseason scouting hardly counts. One would assume since this is a turkey hunting forum that the subjects discussed would pertain to turkey hunting.  A henned up gobbler in the first week of May, that has been called to and hunted for nearly a month bears no resemblance to the flocked up turkeys you birdwatch that haven't even separated yet.

Your penchant for starting non-specific threads leaves you lots of wiggle room. That's how we end up reading about the weather in Pennsylvania in March instead of turkey hunting in May.

I call em in and shoot em in the head...Like yEr supposed to....even the ones that have been hunted and called to for a month...and BTW...Im hardly a bird watcher(more of a killer)....ps...Any good turkey hunter also knows that the turkeys get easier as the season progress'....
turkeykiller

Tail Feathers

Postby Tail Feathers » February 19th, 2009, 6:30 am

I don't start out to bushwhack a turkey but I'm a hunter.  I'll kill him that way if that's the way it turns out. 
Of course if he just wanders by while I'm calling is that really bushwhacking?

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 21st, 2009, 9:13 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman
YIKES!,...here we go again.

Yep, you hit that nail on the head Gobblerman!! [8|]
This post was designed to set up those who do stalk turks, and abuse them once they admit they do it.
I say, if you can't get the turks to come to you in the traditional fashion, but have the skill to bushwhack them instead..............vs. letting the turk walk out of your life..............then GO FOR IT!!!
BUT, don't get on me and claim that I am illegal, or unethical, or any of the other BS because you don't think I should do that.  I repeat, if it is legal and the season is in and you have the skill to make it happen,  GO FOR IT!!!!
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 22nd, 2009, 3:55 am

Yeh, it was setup, Rutt. We all knew that and I avoided it for the first day until it was claimed "stalking wasn't a challenge." Well once again, an individual's definition of "challenge" can vary greatly.

Same principal for the "Is calling overated?" thread. After several posts are made it is announced that "There's no such thing as an uncallable bird", designed to make others feel inferior, if they in fact actually buy into that.

I have no problem with a topic that stimulates debate and you're seldom going to get a group of turkey hunters to agree on anything. It's the criticism of other's choices and tactics that we could all do without.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » February 22nd, 2009, 5:05 am

If I may interject here. In Wisconsin turkey hunting is relatively new so I didn't even know that people had a problem with stalking a bird.I just thought that it was a natural part of hunting to put the sneak on a wild animal. As I am sure our hunter-gatherer predecessors thought.I mean would you not try to get a little closer to that 10 pointer that is bedded down in the willows if the conditions are right??? I waited 7 years until I had enough confidence to even try to stalk a Tom. Thankfully all went well and his tail is hanging on the wall and I have no regrets!
side note to r&s shooting turkeys from the roost is not illegal in wis either there is nothing in the rulebook that says you can't but I personally won't do it  

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 22nd, 2009, 5:49 am

ORIGINAL: gutpiler

If I may interject here. In Wisconsin turkey hunting is relatively new so I didn't even know that people had a problem with stalking a bird.I just thought that it was a natural part of hunting to put the sneak on a wild animal. As I am sure our hunter-gatherer predecessors thought.I mean would you not try to get a little closer to that 10 pointer that is bedded down in the willows if the conditions are right??? I waited 7 years until I had enough confidence to even try to stalk a Tom. Thankfully all went well and his tail is hanging on the wall and I have no regrets!
side note to r&s shooting turkeys from the roost is not illegal in wis either there is nothing in the rulebook that says you can't but I personally won't do it  

Being from Wisconsin I'm sure your a deer hunter first and a turkey hunter second. Stalking and ambushing is second nature to the deer hunter and its hard to blame a guy for stalking turkeys if he's a deer hunter but turkey hunting is a total different game then deer hunting. Calling a bird to the gun is what it is all about. If your doing it any other way your cheapening the hunt.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 22nd, 2009, 5:57 am

Woahhh there guys.... take a deep breath and don`t let the paranoia get the best of ya, everyone is not out to get ya. I think if everyone states thier position and leaves it at that, your point has been made. Why point to some other topic? You don`t have to be dragged into unproductive bickering. I was staying away from this topic too because I know you don`t want to here what I think, because I know some here won`t like it, that is what it is coming to. One point I feel I have to make is that today turkey hunting is almost exclusivly considered..."sport hunting" It is not "subsistance hunting" like it may have been years ago. If you need to kill a turkey or go hungry, then do what you have to do to feed your family. The whatever it takes attitude is just as disturbing to me as my attitude may be to others. gutpiler said that turkey hunting is relativly new to his area, ok, well sport hunting turkey has a long history and many traditions and accepted ways where it has been around for a long time. Because one lives in an area without the history, there may not be mentors and one has to learn on his/her own. Thats ok, its a learning experience one has to go thru... until the anything goes comes into play...I certainly hope that new hunters don`t read statements like  
I repeat, if it is legal and the season is in and you have the skill to make it happen,  GO FOR IT!!!!
and figure that this is acceptable behavior. There is no law against roost shooting in my area.... so it`s ok? I don`t think (I hope) the author of that statement would condone roost shooting.... but it`s legal... more of an unwritten rule among sport turkey hunters?....so where do you draw the line in unwritten turkey hunting rules? I am not trying to be argumentitive here, just something to think about while you are putting down the "old ways" There are at least 2 views, most likely more to any discusion, I`m sure many hunters fall somewhere in between the extremes, and in written words many things can be taken in a way that wasn`t fully intended, I know a wordsmith I`m not! So don`t read between the lines. In....out....in...out.....
"Old School Elitist"

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 22nd, 2009, 6:55 am

ORIGINAL: RutnNStrutn

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman
YIKES!,...here we go again.

Yep, you hit that nail on the head Gobblerman!! [8|]
This post was designed to set up those who do stalk turks, and abuse them once they admit they do it.
I say, if you can't get the turks to come to you in the traditional fashion, but have the skill to bushwhack them instead..............vs. letting the turk walk out of your life..............then GO FOR IT!!!
BUT, don't get on me and claim that I am illegal, or unethical, or any of the other BS because you don't think I should do that.  I repeat, if it is legal and the season is in and you have the skill to make it happen,  GO FOR IT!!!!

........just dont call yErself a turkey hunter if you arent calling it into the gun....Id hate for a youth to read your statements and have them thinking that they need to use every available law there is for them to be successful...Course in todays society...shortcuts are the norm...I recall reading on a forum where a hunter stated..." If we had to wait for the turkeys to come to us we wouldnt be takin' many pictures...."..Seems that same philosophy holds true here for alot of folks...
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion