Ambushing spring turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

RE: Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby StevePA » February 18th, 2009, 3:26 pm

ORIGINAL: swpatrkyhunter

Here in Pa it is illegal to stalk turkey. But some peoples opinion of stalking can vary! Steve. Your from Pa. What exactly would be considerd "Stalking" as far as what the regulations say?

I lump stalking (sneak up to a field edge and shoot one) bushwacking(shooting one from the roost , shooting a flushed turkey etc) and ambushing(setting on a known trail or area that turkeys use and not calling) all together...Our law states "Hunting by calling only-no stalking"..it has two meanings...ONE...You have to call the bird in and TWO you cant do any of the above I mentioned...thats how I see it...
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 3:38 pm

It leaks, I bought sum cb joint but fergot it

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

before it got sunlight I heard thunder in the background and decided I better go home before I got wet.

Does your out'ehouse blind leak or are you just scared of thunder ?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 18th, 2009, 7:10 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA
I know alot of southern hunters practice this deadly art because its legal....To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey...

That's where you PROVE that you are an idiot.  You can either sit stone still hidden in brush and wait for the turkey to walk in to you, OR, you can get up and go after the turk if he won't cooperate.  In the first scenario, there is nothing to tip off the birds, in the 2nd scenario, you have to anticipate, move, stalk and be successful to kill a bird. Often times when moving you have to beat several sets of eyes. 
No, no challenge there, not at all. [8|]
You've got to be kidding me Steve.  You are such an inaccurate, arrogant hypocrite that it isn't even fuuny.  Sounds to me that just because you Northern hunters don't have the skill that us Southern hunters do, you have to try to bust on us.  Nice try Steve, it didn't work.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

shaman

Postby shaman » February 19th, 2009, 2:06 am

ORIGINAL: Ozarks Hillbilly

Define ambush, according to a dictionary every turkey hunt is a ambush.

I would quite agree. All turkey hunting should be some form of ambush.  At some point, you sit yourself down and let the turkey come into you. 

On the other hand stalking is something that is seriously frowned on, purely for safety reasons.  Both KY and OH , the states where I hunt most frequently do not have it as a law, but it is Rule #1 in the Safe Turkey Hunting Tips:

From the KY Hunting Rules, 2009:
1)  Don't stalk a turkey.  The chances of getting close enough are slim, but the chances of becoming involved in an accident are even greater.

Not calling is just as effective and ethical a method as calling.  So is moving in close to a gobbler before sitting down.  The point is that at some point you want to stop moving and put your butt on the ground and wait.  Besides, if we had everyone up and stalking through the woods, we'd have a lot more fatalities.

Now I also acknowledge that there seems to be a specialized meaning to ambush among turkey hunters.  I read it as something like "waiting for a turkey or flock to pass from a concealed position without benefit of calling."    I do a lot of that sort of hunting, and I do it for several reasons: [ul][*]It's easier to do with kids. About half the time I hunt, I have a son in tow.
[*]I hunt the same 200 acres every year and the patterns of the turkeys have become somewhat predictable
[*]A lot of my hunting ends up being in the early part of the season before the gobblers have really warmed up. They don't gobble much and they don't come to calls all that readily.[/ul]It really makes no sense  when you're on the same plot year after year to  fake surprise when a flock that's been in the same tree for decades heads toward the same oak grove or pasture to feed.   It also does not make sense to wear a hole in your call when the gobblers are following hens tightly.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 2:17 am

ORIGINAL: RutnNStrutn

ORIGINAL: StevePA
I know alot of southern hunters practice this deadly art because its legal....To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey...

That's where you PROVE that you are an idiot.  You can either sit stone still hidden in brush and wait for the turkey to walk in to you, OR, you can get up and go after the turk if he won't cooperate.  In the first scenario, there is nothing to tip off the birds, in the 2nd scenario, you have to anticipate, move, stalk and be successful to kill a bird. Often times when moving you have to beat several sets of eyes. 
No, no challenge there, not at all. [8|]
You've got to be kidding me Steve.  You are such an inaccurate, arrogant hypocrite that it isn't even fuuny.  Sounds to me that just because you Northern hunters don't have the skill that us Southern hunters do, you have to try to bust on us.  Nice try Steve, it didn't work.

Skill?....Southern states have such lack in their laws to compensate for hunters...They allow jump shooting...stalking...bait...Come on...Save your personal attacks bud....Its all in black and white....Legal isnt always ethical...nor does it make you a turkey hunter...
turkeykiller

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 19th, 2009, 2:30 am

> To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey... <

You might not agree with it, but that statement right there tells me you have never none it. Because if you had, you would know that stalking a mature gobbler is one of the most challenging things that you would ever do. I'm not talking about just waiting by an area that turkeys frequent. I'm talking about going after a bird that won't cooperate and has resisted any and all efforts to be called. And yes, you frequently have to defeat several pairs of eyes.*

RNS- Now I know that while you were laughing, you slipped up and generalized about you "Northern hunters" in response to Steve's comment about "Southern hunters". I'm not takin' it personal, but one guy doesn't speak for all of us. I can stalk turkeys with the best of them because I learned from the best. Also, I know several "Southern hunters" you wouldn't care to be lumped in with. Nuff said.

* I do all of my hunting on private ground. Do not attempt to go after a gobbler where there may be other hunters present.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 3:40 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> To me its really not much of a challenge to stalk a turkey... <

You might not agree with it, but that statement right there tells me you have never none it. Because if you had, you would know that stalking a mature gobbler is one of the most challenging things that you would ever do. I'm not talking about just waiting by an area that turkeys frequent. I'm talking about going after a bird that won't cooperate and has resisted any and all efforts to be called. And yes, you frequently have to defeat several pairs of eyes.*

RNS- Now I know that while you were laughing, you slipped up and generalized about you "Northern hunters" in response to Steve's comment about "Southern hunters". I'm not takin' it personal, but one guy doesn't speak for all of us. I can stalk turkeys with the best of them because I learned from the best. Also, I know several "Southern hunters" you wouldn't care to be lumped in with. Nuff said.

* I do all of my hunting on private ground. Do not attempt to go after a gobbler where there may be other hunters present.

Ive "stalked" turkeys in my scouting and have not found it to be challenging...from one to as many as 30 plus at a time...Done it for years..If you need every available law to harvest a turkey then thats great...But it doesnt make you a spring turkey hunter by any means...
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:11 am

I stalk turkeys every year, and I must say it is very difficult to get within shooting range of them.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 19th, 2009, 4:22 am

> it doesn't make you a spring turkey hunter by any means... <

I didn't say that was the only way I hunted turkeys. I've called in dozens. Your arrogance is astounding. I make no presumptions about the way you hunt and really couldn't care. Like Gobbleman said...here we go again.

As for your stalking skills, preseason scouting hardly counts. One would assume since this is a turkey hunting forum that the subjects discussed would pertain to turkey hunting.  A henned up gobbler in the first week of May, that has been called to and hunted for nearly a month bears no resemblance to the flocked up turkeys you birdwatch that haven't even separated yet.

Your penchant for starting non-specific threads leaves you lots of wiggle room. That's how we end up reading about the weather in Pennsylvania in March instead of turkey hunting in May.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:23 am

I have confidence in my calling, I just don't call to them in the scouting phase of the season....[:D] Thought ya had me huh?

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

There's a reason why the turkey hunter choses to stalk...

It could be he has no confidence in his calling....or maybe patients is his problem.....most likely a combination of both.

I would rather back away from a turkey than risk spooking him by stalking....there's always another day. 

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion