Ethics Check: Rooster Rhetoric

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
J Hook Max

RE: Ethics Check: Rooster Rhetoric

Postby J Hook Max » February 28th, 2009, 7:55 am

The turkey has flown into the tree to escape danger,not to roost.If I had called him in,I would probably shoot him.However,about ten years ago,I called in three longbeards for a twelve year old boy.He shot one of the gobblers.One of the others flew away and the other flew into a tree.I could have shot him but I did not.I let him go and concentrated on the youngster's kill.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 28th, 2009, 12:46 pm

A.

I called in a gobbler last spring that landed in a tree. The only reason I didn't shoot was because I couldn't see him, too many leaves on the tree. I did watch him fly away. [:@]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

dwfish

Postby dwfish » February 28th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I have to agree with most.  "A" ... take the bird.  Any bird that was coming to the call is not roosting.  As Ny said ... lots of things don't happen like they are "supposed" to.
Fish

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » March 1st, 2009, 7:58 am

If the law states that "any bird in a tree" is illegal then it is illegal. If the bird is in a state that allows turkey to be shot in a tree then I think that the scenario mentioned is ethical. I have had birds flush and fly up in trees while I was moving to a new location. I did not shoot because I had topped a ridge and "surprised them". I did not know they were there. They never made a sound nor did they ever answer my call. So I did not shoot.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 1st, 2009, 8:20 am

b it's the way i hunt i don't judge any one else

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 1st, 2009, 3:13 pm

Been there done that. My state does not say you cannot shoot a turkey out of a tree it says turkeys roosting in trees. I missed a bird one time and he flew into a tree above me and I flattened him. I felt kind of bad after. That is not the hunt I lie in bed at night and think of. I don't think I would do it again.
live to hunt hunt to live

dewey

Re: Ethics Check: Rooster Rhetoric

Postby dewey » June 9th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Here us another old thread I found but it has some pretty good discussion topics for the off season.

I would have shot them at 30 yards...but the question was if the gobbler is in the tree I would shoot him barring it is only illegal to shoot a roosted turkey. So in essence option A

Thoughts?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion