What got you started?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stormshooter4

RE: What got you started?

Postby stormshooter4 » March 2nd, 2009, 12:33 pm

The landowner got me started in turkey hunting. Met him about 8 years ago. He invited to come up to his place and eliminate some deer. Boy, was I in heaven. At that time it wasn't unusual to see 12-24 deer in a mile around his place. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. As you all know the custom, share your take with the landowner. Except he detested deer meat. But he let it well known that wild turkey was his fav. Never hunted turkey  before but was willing to try to fill his requirement to his tastebuds. From there, the rest is history.
  I have always asked if it's ok to hunt deer in the fall and turkeys in the spring and fall on his land, and the answer I get is "don't forget I like wild turkey".
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

2ndCreekMO

Postby 2ndCreekMO » March 2nd, 2009, 12:51 pm

For me it was my Dad.  He wasn't even a real passionate turkey hunter as deer hunting was his favorite activity but he knew that I would enjoy the 1 on 1 challenge of turkey hunting and convinced me to give it a try.  It did not take long to meet some challenging birds, make lots of mistakes and get hooked for life!

UNCLEJED

Postby UNCLEJED » March 2nd, 2009, 2:54 pm

Turkey hunting interested me when I was a kid but didn't grab ahold of me with a tight grip untill I was 18yrs old.   My old man didn't have much experience so I read every book and magazine I could get my mitts on.  My dad bought me copy Lohman's Guide to Succesful Turkey calling and I went absolutely turkey crazed from there.  I got my dad hooked too. At this point Dad and I hit the spring woods every day.  I'm so thankful to have the plentiful turkey numbers we have.  I could have grown up in a time turkeys were hard to come by.  I couldn't imagine that!!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 2nd, 2009, 5:36 pm

HI UNCLEJED

It wasn't easy in the days when turkeys were scarce but it made a hunter out of you ,either you were going to be dedicated or you were doing to hunt something else.
I got hooked.

Turkeybuster

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 3rd, 2009, 6:55 am

SWPA ... Sure I used to hunt on the mountain a lot.  At one time that's the only place we had turkeys.  I was very involved in getting the NWTF to buy the land behind "the cross" ... I shot my first turkey there early 70s!!  Since I'm 57 now and fat and slow it's easier to hunt around home here or over in Greene County.  Know the land very well.  Took an Osceola in Florida last spring to finish my grand slam, then shot two real nice gobblers here.  One had a double 11 inch!!  I have been very fortunate turkey hunting.  Am fooling around coyote hunting now ... have called in fox but no coyotes so far.    {Dave}

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 3rd, 2009, 4:46 pm

A friend invited me in 1998 and I've been ADDICTED ever since.  Time...money...they mean nothing when Turkey season nears.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 4th, 2009, 2:47 am

Has anyone ever started a person turkey hunting and come to regret it?
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 4th, 2009, 6:46 am

Regreted starting someone turkey hunting?  Not exactly, but I have gotten friends started and then they think it's going to be "you & me" forever!  You know; in most cases turkey hunting is a one man operation and after five or six birds are shot in front of you ... you'd like to have the opportunity to kill one ... or have a morning by yourself!!  It's hard sometimes to get them to "go it alone ... you're all grown up now" !!

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 4th, 2009, 2:17 pm

I was 12 years old and never had even seen a turkey not really even heard of a wild turkey. My grandpa was a truck driver and on a trip home he spotted a flock about 10 miles from our house so when he got home he loaded me up and took me to see them, it was a flock of about 40 with 4 strutters.KY didn't have a season in that county at the time so we asked the land owner if we could go watch them. We bought a Lohman box call went down the next day. We got in the back of the truck and used it and with the first time one gobbled and i have been hooked since, we called that ol tom to about 60 yards of the truck, no lie. I thought man this going to be easy, five years later i finally killed my first tom.

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 4th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Mark;
Enjoyed your "story"!!  Yep, been there!!  I have become somewhat of an expert, but only through hard work and mostly persistance.  I get out of bed and drag myself out in the rain when all my buddies have quit and gone back to work. For the last few years I've even killed old, adult gobblers in the fall.  Again, hard work ... find where they roost ... be there in late afternoon when they come in.  But don't get me wrong ... I have those dry spells too when I have to sit down and ask "what the heck did I do wrong"?  Most of the time nothing. But the next morning he may come running ... if I'm there!!
Good luck ... you sound like a good hunter.  {Dave} 

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion