What got you started?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Pressured Gobblers

RE: What got you started?

Postby Pressured Gobblers » February 13th, 2009, 7:06 pm

My best friend got me into it... We were both in the military together... Him in the navy me in the USMC... He got out about 4 years before me and when I go out he told me that I had to give it a try... Well I did and that was all she wrote!!!

Thanks Rick I hope your in turkey hunters heaven
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 14th, 2009, 2:36 am

dad and i went the first time in '72 or '73,,,heard nothing but saw one hen at quitting time on the last day.
tried it again in '82,,,,heard one bird gobble many times as he was traveling .
'88 ,,did some more study and put more time into scouting . hunt was over by sunup. i called in my first turkey and watched my dad kill it . in the excitement i messed up a good opportunity to call in a second bird that was coming in from a different direction.
then hit it half hearted for a few years [ too many wasted years ].
i took a second job in a local sporting goods store and was exposed to a lot of turkey hunters and all the latest calls and equipment.
i made up my mind that i wanted to become an EXPERT TURKEY HUNTER . so i resumed my calling practice on a daily basis and bought some gear and a gun. i went at it like i was killing snakes . believe me it didn't take me long to become EXPERT. expert at bumping birds . expert at being impatient . expert at calling too loud and to much.
but i did work some birds , a lot of birds ,,, i just couldn't get a shot at them . well i realized i was doing some things right and needed to figure out how to elliminate the all that i was doing wrong. i kept at it, year after year , things would get a little better , and each season would come to an end and i'd get grumpy. with each passing year my GRUMP would get worse .
maybe my addiction came on more slowly than a lot of hunters ,,,nevertheless , it came.
to me it became a battle to work the bird, to trick a stubborn tom that has his feet planted in a strut zone you can't approach , and make him come in . my addiction is to work the birds first ,,,and if all is up to my personal expectations ,,,IF he comes in ,I'LL SHOOT.
EXPERT ? BY NO MEANS CLOSE !!! i gave up on the expert part and just settled it in my mind that it is an education that will go on and on ,,,without any graduation ceremony.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 14th, 2009, 7:01 pm

I had some friends who spring turkey hunted, and thought it would be a great way to extend my hunting season.  Turns out that it is now my favorite type of hunting.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » February 27th, 2009, 1:00 pm

My dad loved turkey hunting and started taking me turkey hunting in the late 60's,when I was about 12 years old.I also had some uncles who loved to turkey hunt.I now take my 9 year old grandson turkey hunting.On his first trip last year,he bagged a jake.We are going again in about three weeks and he said he was going to hold out for a longbeard.My family turkey hunts because we have it in our blood.

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 1st, 2009, 4:17 pm

A friend and I heard about this new thing "spring gobbler hunting" in 1968 and we skipped school a few mornings and he bagged a bird.  Later he called one in for me (there were not a lot of turkeys then and the gobblers came running!), I was so mesmerized by this giant bronze bird that I did not even shoot!  I have been hunting them ever since ... have shot all the subspecies.  Still chase them every spring.  Hey I am also from South western PA.  Would love to hook up someone from Merriam country. 
Thanks guys ... Fish

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 1st, 2009, 5:53 pm

Hey Fish!

Thanks for replying to the thread. I live in Fayette county, in the mountains near Uniontown. There's some great hunting up here and I would be more than happy to show you a few areas you could hunt.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 2nd, 2009, 3:44 am

with me i got my dad hooked the first season here was when i was 16 i started reading every thing i could read about turkeys and hunting one the one name i kept seeing was ben lee then isaw in the newspapper that the owego treadway inn was hosting a turkey show and the guest speaker was ben lee i asked my dad to take me. my dad to me was the greatest deer hunter that ever lived he was one of those guys when you heard him shoot you knew he was dragging a deer out .any way he thought turkey hunting would'nt be a big thing in ny but he went with me after ben did his show i was standing in line to meet him that's when i saw my dad in front of me he had already had bought a call my dad passed away 7 years ago but i thank god for all the time we got to spend together hunting oh ya it turn out he was just as good hunting turkeys as he was with deer 

dwfish

Postby dwfish » March 2nd, 2009, 7:30 am

Hey SWPA ... I just live in Smithfield ... Surley I know you.  I used to write for the Hearald for several years.
Still ... like to turkey hunt!  Was looking for a couple contacts for Merriams out west.
Dave Fisher

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 2nd, 2009, 9:48 am

Hey fish!

My Sister and brother-in-law used to live in Smithfeild. You probably know them too. Have you ever hunted up here in the moutains? I live along RT. 40 just up from Fort nessescity.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

dewey

Postby dewey » March 2nd, 2009, 11:46 am

I went out last year for the first time after deer hunting the previous fall when a flock of turkeys came walking by me in a ground blind.  I then talked to a bunch of people about turkey hunting and found out that it is a very fun & challenging hunt.  After going last spring for the first time I plan on going every spring from now on.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion