What got you started?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

RE: What got you started?

Postby StevePA » February 12th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Friend took me fall hunting on the last day many years ago...He needed a ride and just stuck me out in the woods..lol...I shot a lil hen at daylight...Been whackin' them ever since.....
turkeykiller

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 13th, 2009, 1:43 am

I use to see them during deer season and that started the thought of turkey hunting.  Then, I heard Ben Lee give a seminar and that started the addicition. I gave up deer hunting years ago and only hunt turkey now. Its a great sport and I never had a bad day in the woods. Always learn something new.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 13th, 2009, 2:17 am

My grandfather started me off at age 8 in 1958, PA. He only hunted turkeys and grouse. He took me turkey hunting with him before I went deer hunting with my dad at age 12, my dad never hunted turkey. 

Fall hunting was all that was back then, PA did not have a spring season until 1968. Gramps refused to hunt them in the spring. He was funny spitting his tobacco and cussin the PA GC at the same time with the tobacco juice running down his chin, when ever he was up set he could not spit right [:D]. In fact he was one of them back then trying to fight the PA Game Commission to not allow it [:@].

shaman

Postby shaman » February 13th, 2009, 4:33 am

I got hooked on hunting when I was just out of college.  I was reading in the Ohio Rules that there was a Spring Gobbler Season.  At that point, I was just beginning.  I was looking for whatever was in season. I mentioned it to a buddy of mine, and he decided over pancakes one Sunday morning about this time of year  to call a buddy of his that had a 70 acre orchard in one of the counties where turkeys could be hunted. 

I went to the sporting goods store to buy shells.  While I was there, a guy from Quaker Boy was standing around.  I can't be sure. I wasn't paying attention, but he looked a lot like Dick Kirby from the pictures I saw years later. He set me up with a Quaker Boy box call, some Quaker Boy mouth calls, and a couple of Ben Lee tapes. 

I borrowed my Dad's Win Model 12 trap gun.  Dad had been his club's champion back in the 50's and had a few trophies from Vandalia, but had given it all up before I started Kindergarten. The gun hadn't been fired in 20 years.

I went out that first morning and pulled on my box call. A gobbler responded. I was hooked for life.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

jpb

Postby jpb » February 13th, 2009, 6:02 am

I was a late starter to the Turkey hunting scene..Usually around Thanksgiving or Christmas I would say to my family "one of these years its going to be a wild turkey on the table".
      Thanksgiving of 07 was my starting date.As I was carving our frozen store baught bird my wife says to me."I know what youre going to say, and don't you think its about time you do it?".
       Spring of 08 comes rolling around and I get my first bird.Talk about being a wreck in the woods.Am I doing this right,shoud I be doing something different.Heck one evening while i was waiting for the birds to roost I even called Clark Bush up and picked his brain for a few minutes(thanks Clark).
        If my wife does not have me commited, come April I'll be out playing cat and mouse with another long beard.
Joe

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 13th, 2009, 6:39 am

Trace,
That town is called Notheast. That is a nice little town! Lots of outdoors fun to be had in that area as a whole. Good luck if you go back this fall.

MAK

Postby MAK » February 13th, 2009, 6:54 am

Dad and I were rabbit hunting in the fall of 1969, at 14 I was playing dog for Dad. Another group of guys broke a flock of birds and one of them sailed over us, we both shot and one of us (surely not me) hit a bird. We marked where it landed and made a 2 man push through the area, I spotted the hen sitting in a brush pile and finished it. That was the last time we hunted rabbits.

PA spring season grabbed me in '73 and I've been chasing them ever since.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 13th, 2009, 12:06 pm

My hunting and fishing mentor along with my hero was my father. It was the spring of 1977 I was 8 years old. I was clutching a Stevens mod. 311 .410 bore SxS in one hand and my cedar box call my father had made and given to me as a Christmas present that year in the other. We hadn't gotten out of the glow of the porch light and the legs of my overall's were already soaking wet with the heavy dew that was covering the grass in the field. Thats when it happened there was a thunderous noise that filled the air. It seemed to shake the leave on the trees and made the ground shutter under my feet. It had caught me by surprise as it was still well before daylight when the old monarch sounded off. My father found us a tree and had me sit beside him. He whispered to me that we would just sit there for a bit and see what was on the old birds mind. I sat there and listened to the bird sounding off every few minutes or so and started to shiver as the cold started creeping in from my wet paint legs that had also soaked into my boots. As the sun slowly started to light the eastern sky I herd the wing beats of the bird as he left his roost. My father grabbed is old worn box call and made a practice sweep with the lid above the call like a golfer's practice stroke and then sent three soft sweet yelps toward the old bird. The gobbler honored his call with a reply.He then made a single cluck and the bird fired right back at us with a double gobble. Dad said it sounded as if the bird was drifting farther down the holler, he made a few more yelps and the bird gobbled back. Daddy said lets go the bird is headed down the holler away from us but I know where he is headed too. We made a big half circle around to the mouth of the holler it opened out on a old cedar glade. There was a small clearing in the middle of the glade my father had me plop down behind a small tree that and fallen over. It was just the right hight to help hide me and made a perfect rest for my little shotgun to lay across. Daddy took up a spot maybe ten feet behind me and sent out a few sweet yelps from his old box call and the gobbler answered right back. I could tell he was close a I herd my father say get ready son. I tightened the grip on my gun and my heart was pounding so hard I was sure the Turkey would hear it. As the old bird stepped into the clearing I watched in amazement. The old fellas beard was so long that on a long stride I was sure he could have stepped on the end of it. I froze as I watched the old ground raker strut in front of me. He broke strut and I could hear my father saying shoot son shoot him. I cut down on him with the little .410 he my have been 15 yards away. It was a clean miss I am not even sure if I had my head down on the gun or not. I watched the bird as he scurried off through the cedars and I knew even as my heart sunk I was hooked for life. As my father consoled me he explained that was part of hunting and there would be many mistakes along the way. My father was a wonderful teacher he showed me lots of things about hunting,fishing, bird dogs and life lessons in general. I lost my hunting partner and hero in the summer of 2007 to a long battle with Lou Gehrig's disease, I miss him greatly.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 13th, 2009, 3:32 pm

well what got me started was helping my wifes uncle on his farm,for about 3-years I of seeing turkeys on his farm and said I was going to hunt them one of these day. Well in 2000 I bought me a box call and when on opening day and sat in the rain for about 30 minutes I seen what I thought was a crow fly over I still remenber think about how big that crow was until I seen his bread hanging down as he flying by me,and when he hit the ground I started call to him as he gobbled back I was think this was cool he then started to walk right at me as I raise my gun he walk right down my gun barrel when I pull the trigger the gobbler rolling over as I started to get up to get my bird I seen him get to his feet and the last time I seen him he was flying over the ridge.( and I am hooked for life)

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 13th, 2009, 4:15 pm

I have hunted with my dad and brothers since I was able to walk. None of us had ever even thought about hunting turkeys back then. My friend from NY knew I was a deer hunter and invited me to hunt turks. After the first gobble I was hooked. I then got my dad and brothers into it and they are all hooked. That was 22 years ago. Dad is gone but my brothers and I have not missed a season since
live to hunt hunt to live

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion