What got you started?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

What got you started?

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 8:29 am

I was just wondering what got all of you started hunting Spring Turkeys? Was it your Dads taking your out? A family freind? Or something else? I would like to hear about it!  For me. My Dad had taken me hunting since I was little but he never got into Turkey to much cause having only one hand working a call was not easy for him. But I love to hunt! A few years ago My best bud and I went out one Spring morning Just to go out and hunt. After hearing that first bird gobble to our calls we were hooked!

wordbird

RE: What got you started?

Postby wordbird » February 12th, 2009, 9:08 am

The lease I used to hunt had turkeys but I had never hunted them. I kept hearing the ones who did talking about it so I finally tried it in '89. I ain't been the same since. I plum quit crappie fishing. I take nearly all my vacation in March and April. I fall hunt them. I had rather talk turkey hunting in the summer than baseball and I love baseball. I'm definitely a fanatic addict.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 10:01 am

Mine is pretty simple, a few freinds and myself used to drive up to Erie,PA and steelhead fish once a year.

Coming home one year I seen a few gobs on the side of the interstate and about had a wreck trying to see what it was.
When I got back I couldn't get that sight out of my head, so about 5 months later when spring time rolled around I purchased a license and the rest is history.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 12th, 2009, 10:13 am

Hey Frank,

Glynn Shubert! I did not know anyone who hunted turkeys but had just developed an interest in the sport. I had decided that I wanted to try it and had located some land that the owner said had turkeys on it.

Then one day, I met this guy, Glynn, and in the course of our conversation, he told me he was a turkey hunter. That started a 3 decade+ obsession with "the bird".

I have met so many fine folks who also enjoy this sport and feel very priviliged to have been able to chase these great birds for all these years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2009, 10:14 am

My Dad paticipated in Michigan's first sanctioned turkey hunt in 1967 and bagged a jake. But there were only a few turkeys, all of them way up north, and a tag was hard to get as there were only a few and they were by lottery only.  We continued to hunt deer, rabbits, squirrels, ducks and geese. Not much changed until the mid-80s.

In 1985 Dad went to Missouri turkey hunting for the first time with a hidden agenda. Tony Knight, inventor of the Knight in-line black powder rifle had his shop in Lancaster, Mo. (Knight is now in Iowa.) Dad got to meet Tony, got his shop tour and got hooked on turkey hunting all in one visit. Over the years the contingency of hunters making the trek to Missouri steadily grew until there were 12-15 guys in camp at the 4,000 acre state game area. My brother-in-law went and he was hooked, so I finally gave in and went for the first time in 1994.

I didn't get a bird that first year, but after hearing those gobbles echo through the hollows and across the ridges I've been hooked ever since. We still make the trip to Missouri every year although we got a four-man lease in 2001 and split from the group. In 2006 they logged out the Game area and ruined it for turkey hunting, turning it into a moonscape. You can literally see across three or four ridges. Took all of the roost trees, even the trees by the carpark were we used to camp. arseholes. 2007 marked the first year there was not a contingency of hunters from Battle Creek, MI at Rebels Cove WMA in over twenty years.

With the help of the NWTF and the state DNR, the turkey poulation in Michigan doubled during the 90s. I get to hunt turkeys on my own property now and I'm thankful for that. You can now buy tags over the counter as well but there is a Feb 1 st deadline for doing so.

Long live the wild turkey!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 12th, 2009, 10:20 am

In 1983 I heard one gobble when I was walking an old logging road on some property I had permission to hunt.  I read everything I could get my hands on about turkey hunting & went out and bought a Lynch box call.  That Lynch would make some decent sounding calls, even if I didn't know a thing about what calls to use when.  First day I went Turkey hunting, I took a neighbor along (mistake #1).  When I heard the turkey gobble on the roost right when it got light, I answered (mistake #2).  He gobbled several times before he pitched down to see what in the heck was making that noise.  I was not ready when he got in range, (mistake #3) but knew to hold my position.  My neighbor raised his head up to get a better look at the bird & scared him off (mistake #4).  I realized right then & there I had a lot to learn since I'd already been schooled the first time out. That was 26 years ago & my addiction has only gotten worse.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » February 12th, 2009, 1:01 pm

It was Spring 1975 (I think WV's first turkey season in my county) while fishing early one morning for catfish I heard a turkey gobbling his head off up on a ridge behind.  I knew there was a heavy deer trail that ran along the top of the bank so after fishing I walked up to see exactly how the trail ran where I had heard the bird the most.  I had only a 20 ga 2 3/4" Winchester Model 37, I thought that wasn't enough so I borrowed my brother's 20 ga 3" inch/22 rimfire Revelation to go after the bird the next AM.  I got there early and waited on daybreak, sure enough he started gobbling just at first light.  I didn't call on the old Lynch 101 call I had borrowed, just sat and waited on him to walk the trail.  Well, he walked right past me without gobbling at 20 yds.  Since I had never even seen a turkey before I wasn't even sure it was a turkey, the thing was BLACK!  He dropped over the side off the hill toward the river and began gobbling hard, I tried with the call and he would gobble but would not move.  Finally I decided that I could creep over to the crest of the hill and see him.  Sure enough we saw each other at the same time.  Of course he ran and hit a clearing at about 60 yds., I shot and he went back on his tail feathers and was goofy.  I ran as fast as I could to him and he was alive blinking his eyes and kind of dazed in the briers and small blueberries.  I quickly switched over to the 22 and shot him in the head.  Roughly 22 lbs and 10 in. beard.  That was the start for me.  Now I can't get enough of the latest calls, decoys, guns, ammo, apparel, and even retired not enough time to chase those black birds.

Jim

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 12th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Hey Trace,
I live just down the road from Erie PA! Its a neat place and there is alot of turkeys around here!
I started turkey hunting in 1997. No one in my family turkey hunted. I just hated to wait until I was 16 to start hunting deer with my grandpa. So a few friends and I got some camo and some calls. I hunted spring and fall seasons every minute that I could for darn near 7 years until I finally killed a turkey.  I was hooked on turkey hunting before I even saw one. The first time I heard a turkey gobble in the wild I said to myselt that I would never quit. I live for it now and I am glad that I was such a persistent kid.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 2:32 pm

NY,

We use to stay in a little town right outside of Erie called Northwest I believe, at a little motel called the Colonial.
We would fish the 16 and 20 mile creeks. We haven't been up there since 2003 I think but we have been talking about going back.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 12th, 2009, 3:14 pm

I shot my first turkey in 1978. After that I always had an interest in turkey hunting but it wasn't until the early 90's that I got serious about it. My mentor started showing me how to use a slate call and what types of calls to use and when. He left me go with him one spring morning. We were set up on a gobbler, me at one spot and him about 30 yards away from me. He was doing the calling. I heard this gobbler coming up through the woods as he was calling. The last time he gobbled I swear he knocked my hat off he was so close. I heard him shoot and then he said he got it. I walked over to him and there it laid in the leaves. It had a 11 7/8 in beard, 1 1/2 inch spurs, and weighed 16 lbs. I went with him several other times over the years, then went out on my own. Another friend of mine called one in for me and I got it. That was in 1995. The following year, I finally called one in by myself and killed it. It was the greatest feeling ever. I was then hooked for life.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion