Do you???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkynut54

Do you???

Postby trkynut54 » March 6th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Do you gut your turkey in the field or do you wait to gut it after you weigh it? 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

turkaholic

RE: Do you???

Postby turkaholic » March 6th, 2009, 2:00 pm

I,m a breast man myself. I bring him back to see how much he weights and just remove the breast. I'm not into the legs that much. I have done the pluck and roast deal but I guess I've gotten lazy.
live to hunt hunt to live

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 6th, 2009, 2:01 pm

considering where i hunt , i'm never more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours from kill to butcher. i do not gut . if i were any farther from home ,,,i'd open him up.

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » March 6th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I dont gut mine but I try to get the breast meat out as soon as possible. I tried to cook all of the bird once before and it was not a pleasant dining experience. I just use the breast now. The drumsticks are too tough to eat in my opinion. Sorry if the fact that I dont eat the whole bird offends anyone.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 6th, 2009, 2:15 pm

It doesn't offend me at all. I roasted them all the time and the legs get pretty dry and tough so I just might breast them out myself. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 6th, 2009, 2:22 pm

I've never field dressed or gutted a turkey either. I take care of them when I get back to camp or home, as the case may be. I would not want to leave bird for several hours without cleaning him but I know folks in other parts of the world hang whole birds and let them "age" for some time before cleaning them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 6th, 2009, 3:43 pm

I bring my bird back home to weight It then breast It out.

deja vu

Postby deja vu » March 7th, 2009, 3:16 am

I breast and dejoint the legs above the thighs as soon as I can after returning home (never in the field/woods) I don`t ever remove the guts from the carcass. You guys need to try stewing the legs down, striping the meat from the bone, thikening the broth to gravy, serving over biscuits and/or potatos. You are missing some good eating [;)]
"Old School Elitist"

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 7th, 2009, 11:58 am

You guys need to try stewing the legs down, striping the meat from the bone, thikening the broth to gravy, serving over biscuits and/or potatos. You are missing some good eating
Now you are talking.  There is a lot of good meat on the theighs.  Slow boil the legs and wings and strip the meat from the bones and those stick bones in the legs.  keep the wing bones for calls.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » March 8th, 2009, 6:22 am

Do not dress them in the field.  Bring it back to the cabin, weight it, then breast him out.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion