Nebraska info needed

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jim Spencer

Nebraska info needed

Postby Jim Spencer » February 28th, 2009, 5:40 am

It's way late to be starting research on this, but my wife and I just had a hole open up in our spring schedula and we've decided to work in a Nebaska hunt on our way to South Dakota in early May. We've never hunted there before, so I';ve been doing some prelim research online and the southwet part of the state, specifically the Republican River drainage within 40 miles either way of McCook, looks good so far. There are five or six WMAs surrounding flood control lakes in that neck of the woods - Medicine Creek, Red Willow, Swanson, Enders, Harlan County, maybe some more I haven't sniffed out yet.

Before we commit to this part of the state, though, I wanted to see if there's anybody on here who can tell us if we're on the right track. I expect these are mostly Rio strain birds in this part of the world, but subspecies really isn't important. What I'm really looking for is confirmation that there are decent turkey numbers and decent availability of public land in the area.

Anybody out there know anything about this part of the world? Thanks -

Never let 'em see the whites of your eyes...

Treerooster

RE: Nebraska info needed

Postby Treerooster » March 1st, 2009, 7:30 pm

Jim I hunt a lot in NW Neb, but I have a buddy that has hunted that area for quite a few years. He hunts private land but has said he has seen birds on the public on Swanson Res. I know there are birds on the Republican and I think a pretty good population too.

Colorado has birds on the Republican and the CDOW didn't put them there. The turkeys came in from Nebraska. Same with the Arikaree river in Colo.

Sorry I couldn't help you with any firsthand info. But I would say go for it, you should find some birds.

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » March 5th, 2009, 12:27 pm

I'm an outfitter north of North Platte about 90 miles and there is the Halsey National forest that has about 100,000 acres of public land. Come in the North end of the forest land and travel clear to the southwest corner on the Dismal river. We have land that borders this and there are turks there, some merriam and rio and hybreds.

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » March 8th, 2009, 11:49 am

See, NTBNB, I TOLD[size=50] [/size]you you'd make it worse. Now I've got not three but four areas to decide between.

Seriously, thanks very much for your information. I'll check it out. Hope you get some more hunters to fill up those cancellations in your schedule.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion