What would you do?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

RE: What would you do?

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 1:40 pm

it really sux when your workin a bird & hes gettin closer & then you here the gun shot, ive had it happen twice one of them i never caught up with the other guy  said he thought it was a bird doin all the talkin'..go figure...i still think he was lyin, i call like chit[:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 9th, 2009, 1:53 pm

we did more than our fair share of scouting without seeing any other scouts. weekend after weekend we did this . it was a new part of the public land for us all and there were too many birds .
well we were on the edge the evening before the opener, spread out and just listening. one vehicle drove into the parking lot , sat there a few minutes and drove out. next mornin we each drove our own truck to fill up the lot. we had been standing on the top of the high ridge well over 1 hour before the first auto came into the lot ,,,they left ,,,as did the next 2 . i was not concerned with someone else killing some of those birds ,,, i just didn't want to be interrupted.
actually , i drove my truck and each of the boys drove their own dodge 4 x 4,,,hee , hee

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 9th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I always have plan B and C.  I've never had to resort to a plan beyond that, but you can bet if I do, it'll be a hike no one else wants to undertake.  I won't hunt on top of anybody else.  I keep my eyes and ears open for someone moving in on me and I'm always wary of the dangers that come when multiple people hunt the same areas in uncoordinated efforts.  The first time I went out, it was on public land and another hunter happened across me along a forest service road.  He offered an unnecessary apology for cramping my style before setting off to find another spot himself.  That made an impression on me and since that day, I make a point to follow his example.  If some other hunter beat me to a good spot, then he's got squatter's rights and doesn't need to share it with me.  I'll find some place else.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 9th, 2009, 2:26 pm

> I don't see a problem with talking to the other hunter and going a different direction than him when there is 10's of thousands of acres of land in all directions. <

That sounds reasonable, and I would make an attempt to talk with the other hunter as well. But the problem is you can't trust someone you don't know and when it comes to hunting and firearms some folks can get real competitive, not to mention squirrelly.  Consider this cautionary tale...

In Michigan we have H.A.P. properties. (Hunter Access Program) They are privately owned blocks of property, essentially leased by the state for public hunting purposes. There is a common parking area and a check-in system where you are supposed to fill out an info card and put it in a drop box.

About 10 years ago I went for an evening deer hunt alone on such a property. I encountered a younger hunter in the woods after I had built a brush blind near a swale. He looked a little rough around the edges with stringy hair, no hat, grease smeared orange coveralls and an old shiny rattletrap shotgun. We had a brief conversation and I asked where he was headed. He assured me that he was headed toward the back of the property (360 acres) and wouldn't interfere with my hunt. About two hours later it was primetime, 20 minutes before dark. I had rattled and grunted a couple times when I heard a twig snap behind my tree. I slowly looked around the tree and there was the same young hunter standing about 15 yards away. I was steamed and chastised him pretty good for not going where he said he was, sneaking around in a public deer hunting area just before dark and generally violating every safety rule that existed. Somewhere in the conversation I told him that was a good way to get shot and he needed to find a place and just sit in a hunting  area like that. He never said a word and just turned and left, although I could see he didn't take the sermon very well.

I started packing up my stuff as the hunt was ruined but I had an eerie feeling about the whole experience and was a bit unerved. On the two-track out I met up with a couple other hunters and struck up a conversation figuring there was strength in numbers. My concerns were not unfounded because when we reached the car park the youngster was waiting in his truck with the engine running. When he saw me with two other hunters he got out of his truck with his shotgun. He made a big show of racking all five slugs out onto the ground and then threw the gun and shells into the truck bed and slammed the tailgate shut. We watched in surprise and I could see the other two guys wondering what this nutcase was up to. His next move took the cake...he put his truck in drive and shot straight forward into the farmer's yard below the farmhouse on the hill. He proceeded to do several donuts, gunning the engine and tearing the hell out of the yard and spraying mud and grass everywhere. When he came back towards the car park he veered sharply onto the gravel road and gunned it spraying the remaining four vehicles and the three of us with rocks. Holy sh*t!

I've thought about that incident ever since. Why was he waiting with a loaded gun in his truck? What would have happened if I hadn't met up with the other two guys? Was he on drugs, or crazy, or both? I contacted the DNR, but of course he didn't check in and the license plate on his truck was covered with mud. That was the last time I ever hunted a H.A.P. property.

It's been my experience that turkey hunters are a bit more congenial and ethical than deer hunters for the most part. But a scene like that can play out anywhere, anytime. Think twice before you trust a total stranger that has a gun. Better yet, just keep driving.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 9th, 2009, 8:29 pm

WOW! Fun club! That was a very disturbing story to say the least! And a good one to get a point across. And i agree. there is a differance between the hunters you run across in deer season vs. Turkey season. When ever I do hunt public land if I see somebody is already in a given area I will go farther down the road or turn around and go to a differant area altogether. Sometimes I have come across guys just getting ready to leave their trucks and will stop to chat with them. Even if they say that they are going WAY off in the distance I will still move along. You never know when someone might change there hunting area and why take the chance of having a ruined hunt or worse yet having a guy mistake you for a bird and shoot in your direction. 

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 10th, 2009, 12:24 am

Sounds like Mr. Deliverance gave you a lesson in how to get a spot all to yourself, Fan Club..  You were lucky to have come across the other guns.  That guy was gonna kill you and eat your liver.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 10th, 2009, 2:45 am

> That guy was gonna kill you and eat your liver. <

Yeah, with fava beans and a bottle of Boone's Farm!

I'd like to say that I can laugh about it now, but it still gives me chills.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 10th, 2009, 4:00 am

TC,you sure they weren't roost shootin like them fools in kantucky

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 10th, 2009, 6:21 am

I drive on I live next to 125,000ac of N.F. got to be another bird somewhere.
canecreekcalls.com

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 10th, 2009, 6:53 am

There is a guy who hunts the neighboring property to our lease, but we have never crossed paths. The landowner sees his truck some mornings, but he is always gone by the time I get out of the woods.  We never hear much shooting from over his way either. He probably can't sit long, or sit still.

I too, get in the woods at least an hour before light because it has just worked well for me in the past. We work hard to keep the roads and paths open and I can get to most of the places I hunt in the dark. We don't have too much trouble with people encroaching on us because the land is gated & heavily posted, there is also little area to park along the road, and the property that shares a back boundary line is a long ways from the nearest road. Most folks wouldn't walk that far to get where I'm hunting.  Besides, they would be walking through some killer property to hunt in order to get to our land. 

The other little place I have to hunt is bordered by a horse farm on one side and a huge swamp on the other.  I'm the only one with hunting rights for the horse farm and anybody would be a fool to try to get through that swamp to get to the side I hunt.  The other side of the swamp gets hunted & they have a lot of land, which is also posted. Both spots are pretty safe.
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion