What would you do?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: What would you do?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 9th, 2009, 6:54 am

I move on to the next spot.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 9th, 2009, 7:28 am

A truck parked in a location may be a give-a-way that that ridge leads to turkeys; then again, he may not know a danged thing and be prospecting.  If you see the same truck in the same spot with regularity, you have probably found a honey hole, albeit a well hunted honey hole.  Come back at mid-day and you may be pleasantly surprised.  Please leave a few feathers at the parking spot to alert the regular that he has been had and that he should not be hunting a dead turkey.  A really sneaky hunter will save a number of feathers from previously killed turkeys to spread when he comes out even if he has not killed a turkey.  You got to do what you got to do.  The above applies to public ground.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 8:22 am

i always thought that was considered scouting...[:D][:D]

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 9th, 2009, 10:57 am

I don't see trucks on our property where I  mainlyhunt as it is private, so I guess I can't answer this.  However, if I see a monster bird on some public during scouting or what not, I will hunt public to get him and subsequently be subject to this situation..

I guess I would move on and hunt another locale or place I scouted down the road or back at our property.  No sense hunting on top of another.  I wouldn't want it done to me, so I follow that policy when in the woods.  I would just make a mental note to get up earlier the next day if it was a spot I valued that much to hunt, say with a big strutter known to be in the vicinity.  This would all never happen though as I don't see many other turkey hunters in my parts.  It's actually quite nice, almost got the county to myself.  I'll never tell where though![:D][:D][:D][:-]
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 9th, 2009, 11:01 am

early on , in my forays with EASTERNS, i would find many of my spots cluttered up with chevrolets , dodges, and trucks . didn't take me long to figure out how to get the upper hand on these fellers.
i get up between 3:00 and 3:30 am nearly everyday of the year , and it is no trouble to me to get to where i want to hunt a couple hours before the grey dawn of a clear morning. been my experience that too many hunters like to stay up late watching the idiot box instead of getting ample sleep and rest for the real pleaure of turkey hunting.
if by chance there is an empty truck or chevy in the parking lot i usually have plans B & C.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 9th, 2009, 11:37 am

It's actually quite nice, almost got the county to myself. I'll never tell where though!

[:D][:D][:D]  Good one, perfect timing. [:D]

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 9th, 2009, 11:46 am

I don't see a problem with talking to the other hunt and going different direction then him when there is 10's of thousands of acres of land in all directions. Then again you could probably hunt a totally different area if there is that much land.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 9th, 2009, 11:50 am

no problem at all

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 9th, 2009, 12:39 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

early on , in my forays with EASTERNS, i would find many of my spots cluttered up with chevrolets , dodges, and trucks . didn't take me long to figure out how to get the upper hand on these fellers.
i get up between 3:00 and 3:30 am nearly everyday of the year , and it is no trouble to me to get to where i want to hunt a couple hours before the grey dawn of a clear morning. been my experience that too many hunters like to stay up late watching the idiot box instead of getting ample sleep and rest for the real pleaure of turkey hunting.
if by chance there is an empty truck or chevy in the parking lot i usually have plans B & C.

Mark, you and I think alike. I get up way before daylight and get to my spot an hour before daylight. Most people where I hunt don't even come down the mountain road until the sky is starting to light up. I'm in the woods heading to my spot by then or a little before.

Last year I was sitting in my truck, I saw headlights out the road coming. I jumped out of my truck and started putting my gear on and this guy pulls in beside me and asks where i'm heading. I told him below the road. He and I both knew there was a gobbler down there, so he says to me, if I hear you calling to him i'll back out. Well I hunted that gobbler with no results so I walked back to my truck and there he was parked in front of my truck. But he was no where around.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm

thats common practice around here 3 cars in each parking area you chat at the begining of the hunt try not to go to a bird you think they are workin & if you hear a gunshot that just meens well...your odds just got worse

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion