What would you do?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
rsmithpa

RE: What would you do?

Postby rsmithpa » February 9th, 2009, 1:32 am

I go to another spot.  later if not there then I may hunt it.

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 9th, 2009, 2:37 am

Go on down the road to plan B. Couple times I ended up with no plan in new ground and ened up with a bird.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 9th, 2009, 3:04 am

Depends on the spot and if I have a chance to talk with him. If I can talk to him and theres room for both of us I'll go different way then him. If I don't know where he went or he's going the way I planned I'll go somewheres else.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 3:07 am

keep on cruzin'

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 9th, 2009, 3:08 am

Depends on where it is. Some walk in areas may have multiple entrants. Otherwise, I move on.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 9th, 2009, 3:25 am

Keep driving and go to plan B.

I you decide to hunt there anyway, a number of things can happen and most of them are bad; you could ruin his hunt, he could ruin yours, or someone could get hurt.

No turkey is worth risking an accident.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 9th, 2009, 3:37 am

He was there before me so he earned the hunt there that morning, unmolested by me.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 3:54 am

i know a few fellers that consider a truck on the side of the road a bonus,they'll drive a lil' further down the road park & then circle around in the direction of the other hunter on foot to try to get in on some action of course this is usualy on public land but it has happened to me on private[:@] 

shaman

Postby shaman » February 9th, 2009, 4:06 am

If I get to MY hunting spot, and there's a truck already there, I call the CO and have the poacher arrested. We own the spot.

What was really funny was the first night we'd taken possession, we came back from eating dinner and there were a bunch of guys out in the field.  I looked through the binos, and there was a white Blazer and half a dozen guys in camo. It was just after sundown. The first thing I did was light my Coleman lantern. That let them know somebody was now living at the old place. Their only exit from the place was not blocked.

The guys out in the field reacted by gunning the Blazer and heading off towards an end of the pasture that I knew was a dead end.  They came back to the same spot they'd been previously a few minutes later.

By this time  I'd grabbed a 6V lantern, my camo field jacket and a hatchet.  I got within less than 50 yards of the Blazer. They were arguing in the dark over what to do and accusing each other of getting them in this fix.  They didn't see me close to within 20 yards.  I then flicked on the big flashlight, and they all got that deer-in-headlights pose.

"Good evening, Gentlemen."   I'm roughly the dimensions of John Wayne in his latter years. I was at least a couple inches taller and I out weighed everyone there by a good hundred pounds. The hatchet handle was protruding from my field jacket.

"Who are you?" Asked one of the guys who had appointed himself spokesman.

I introduced myself.

"Do you know Orey X_____"

"Yes, I am quite familiar with Oren J. X____"  I replied. " In fact I saw him not half an hour ago."

"Did Orey give you permission to hunt here?"  The fellow took a step towards me, and the crowd started to close a little.

"No." I said. "The place is under new ownership."

"And who might that be?"

"Me." I replied. "We own the place now."

I then led them out of the place and explained the new property lines. It turned out these guys were my next door neighbors. I later went and talked to their patriarch, who apologized for the transgression and promised that there would be no repeats.  He kept his word, and I have have not had trouble from his kin since.  Until the trailer burned in 2003, I would sit at my thoughtful spot and trade owl hoots with them from across the holler.

Prior to getting our place, I'd hunted public land and various private plots over the years.  I can tell you that it was pretty disheartening to do all the pre-season scouting in a spot and then have the turn-out filled with trucks on Opening Day, but there is not a whole lot you can do. I always erred on the side of safety and never deliberately hunted behind another turkey hunter.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

sonofdsouth72

Postby sonofdsouth72 » February 9th, 2009, 4:40 am

move along find another spot .
there never is a off day of hunting !

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion