Bottom Line

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
greyghost

Bottom Line

Postby greyghost » February 18th, 2009, 1:31 am

I have only been an internet turkey hunter for maybe 2 years now but it is noticeable when turkey seasons are not in. Everyone is politically discussing turkey hunting facts.[:D]

The most interesting posts currently is the biologists thing. I know I kinda started it but the one thing is biologits even amongest themselves beg to differ and when you throw hunters into the equation well you have a whole different perspective. As most of us on here are turkey hunters (I know some may not agree with that) we all share a common bond with one another that was covered by Silvestres in another post. 

Most biologists do little hunting, if some none. I wish you all could know a 'Kit' Shaffer. He is a biologist but a hardcore turkey hunter as well. Meeting him and talking with him on the phone was an honor, especially what he has done for the wild turkey here in VA but assisted in NC, WV and PA. He is now 91 and in a retirement home. He wrote like 58 articles for a magazine 'Turkey Hunter' in the 80's. If any of you have old copies you will all I am sure get a pleasure and some insight into turkey hunting and culture. He even had conflicts with science and hunting.

Bottom line is I guess its nice to know as much as one can about your enemy you are up against and doing battle with (Mr. and Mrs. Turkey)

And the bottom line is I am getting enjoyment out of the discussions as well as food for thought and want to thank all. 

But it is getting about that time of year to switch gears and get into the real turkey hunting world and not the internet turkey world. 

Fan Club

RE: Bottom Line

Postby Fan Club » February 18th, 2009, 2:46 am

> I have only been an internet turkey hunter for maybe 2 years now but it is noticeable when turkey seasons are not in. <

This far north we call it "cabin fever".

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 18th, 2009, 3:13 am

can't wait....

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 18th, 2009, 5:48 am

10-4 on the cabin fever. This time of year drives me crazy waiting for spring gobbler season.  It will be here soon.  Its video watching and practicing calling for now.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 6:09 am

I know April 20th can't get here soon enough for me either. We get into some good fishing towards the end of March into the first of April if we get a few warm days in a row. Until then get out and hunt some predators Coyotes, Bob Cats and Crows are fun you can call to them and there all a pretty good challenge to hunt. You'll do your Turkeys a favor this summer when the young'uns start to hatch.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

pennsy

Postby pennsy » February 18th, 2009, 6:45 am

Drivin me crazy waitin for the season to get started, maybe this will be my year to finally score on one of
these bad boys!!!!!  
pennsy

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 18th, 2009, 8:12 am

Got a call from my hunting buddy today to let me know he saw a big gang of Turkeys in a field not far from our lease and there was a huge gobbler amoungst 'em in full strut.  Oh Boy!   BTW it is in the low 40s & rainy here today, probably why they were out in a field.

Hope I can stand it till April...

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 18th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Fever is gittin baddddddddddddd here more rain sleet and snow today what a mess.
By the time the season rolls around we will probably still have tracking snow or ice.
TB

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 8th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I got the fever for sure.!

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Love the internet thing, it does help us addicts thru the long off season. Gets your turkey minds heading in the right direction, on new tactics and equipment maybe you never considered. Reading posts from people you mostly do not know, but have something greatly in common with. I have been an internet turkey hunter for a few years and have had some fun and  learned some good stuff on here. When I'm sleep deprived in May and hunting hard I never get on line it seems.
live to hunt hunt to live

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion