Commonly used excuses.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

Commonly used excuses.....

Postby StevePA » February 20th, 2009, 2:33 am

What are some commonly used excuses when one goes home empty handed.....?

Call shy
turkeykiller

trkyklr

RE: Commonly used excuses.....

Postby trkyklr » February 20th, 2009, 2:42 am

henned up

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 20th, 2009, 2:59 am

The only excuse I use is I did something wrong. I feel every turkey I go after is killable.

Now the excuses one hears Steve is something else. The one I hear the most in the spring is hens.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 20th, 2009, 3:00 am

Let's see, henned up is good, I missed, I moved and he saw me, Someone else walked in on me and flushed him. I didn't have the shell all the way in the chamber.  These are a few that I can think that have happended over the years. 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 20th, 2009, 3:20 am

I wasn't really hungry anyway. [;)]

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 20th, 2009, 3:59 am

Tobacco juice dissolved all my mouth calls.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 20th, 2009, 4:04 am

In the last couple of years mine have been, Henned up, Got too close and spooked em, Missed, And my personal favorite. The darned bird outsmarted me! LOL!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

shaman

Postby shaman » February 20th, 2009, 4:18 am

I can remember a time when I would go the whole season not hearing a gobble during legal shooting hours.  The only turkeys I'd see were in the ditches along the side of the road as I was driving home. In those years the best excuse was "no turkeys came on the property." 

There is a variation of that now even though I have decent flocks to deal with on my  little 200 acre patch.  There will be days when everything shuts up 10 minutes after fly-down and there isn't a gobble to be heard for the next 24 hours. I can go hide out at one of the honey holes and wait.  I can go back to the house and do chores.  "I picked the wrong hole." suits fine in the former.  "Nothing was gobbling, so I came home" suits for the latter.

"I screwed up." works for the general list of failures I encounter-- calling wrong, getting busted, etc. At the heart of it was usually a lack of patience. Nowadays, its' usually more the other direction-- I could have gotten up and run off to do an end around or crawled through the sticker patch, but I am now just too old and lazy.

"Didn't have my mind on it" sufficed for the days I didn't let the job go and just go turkey hunting. One year, the job was weighing so heavily, I just packed up and went home.  I may not have that excuse again for a while.  It always made me feel sacrilegious-- kind of like listening to a ball game on the radio while sitting in a church pew.

Nowadays,  it's the turkey's laughter that I find the biggest problem. It grows louder every year.  I find myself  with my back to a tree listening to it, and it just slowly wears at me.  It starts just after flydown, after all the turkeys disappear from sight.  I know what they're doing-- they're all sneaking around to get behind my back and snigger.  They're laughing at my silly calls. They're laughing at my camo. In early season, my feet get cold and wet and they laugh at that.  Later on they laugh at the skeeters biting through my face mask at my ears and nose. Eventually I can't take it anymore and I come in for lunch.

"How'd it go?" KYHillChick will ask.

"They hung up."  I'll say.  She'll nod like she understands, and bring me a cup of coffee and some biscuits and gravy.  I just can't bear to tell her that it's all the sniggering finally got to me. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 20th, 2009, 4:27 am

You never disappoint me, Shaman, you know that?

[;)]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 20th, 2009, 4:54 am

Alot of killable birds survive because people give up with the excuse of them being call shy, or henned up.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion