Are you cutting back on hunts this year?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

RE: Are you cutting back on hunts this year?

Postby trkyklr » March 5th, 2009, 10:59 am

ORIGINAL: NTBNB

i'm heading on a bear hunt in aug., hopefully!

wish i could go on a bear hunt...we have a few in the state...maybe i need to talk to my buddy wilson, he bear hunts up in carter co.

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » March 5th, 2009, 11:01 am

As an outfitter, I like the way trkyklr thinks. [;)] However, there is some great public land that has turks also, and it's much cheaper than using a outfitter.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 5th, 2009, 11:22 am

yes its cheaper to hunt public land & if i travel thats what i would hunt (if not a buddy's land)....but it seems like if you went with an outfitter it would double your chances of success...but it doesn't seem like you would get the same satisfaction with the outfitter as you would doin' it all solo

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » March 5th, 2009, 11:32 am

I really don't even know how much I "guide" most turkey hunters that come here. Most just want me to point them in the right direction and they just do it themselves mostly. We had 2 boys from Wisc. last year that drove 11 hours to get here and each guy shot 2 birds within 1 1/2 hours. If you or anyone else is interested in public land hunting here in Nebraska, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.
I'm looking forward to the bear hunt, one of my deer hunters runs a camp in Wawa Ontario, we have a group of 8 going up, should be fun no matter what.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 5th, 2009, 11:55 am

good luck with the bear...i think jim spencer is wanting some info on public land in nebraska maybe you should hook 'im up

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » March 5th, 2009, 12:01 pm

I'd be glad to help, have him contact me or let me know how to get ahold of him.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 5th, 2009, 12:10 pm

he's got a thread in the general discussion asking for info

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » March 5th, 2009, 5:45 pm

There are somethings I'm willing to sacrifice, turkey hunting is not one of them. There are only so many trips to the top in any one body. I'm going to hit 50 this spring and now is not the time to cut back for me.
live to hunt hunt to live

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 6th, 2009, 12:46 pm

well said , turkaholic .
actually i intend to hunt more this year than ever before . not that i'm going out of state ,,the vacation time is there and also guiding some newcomers during youth season .
i may never get to hunt another state , and i can live with that ,,,provided i can hunt my old turkeywoods .

''old school turkey tactics ''

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » March 6th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Evening to all. I for one am not only NOT scaling back but am planning on going out alot this spring. I've never seen so many birds before, they seem to be everywhere. Just this morning my son and I went out to the back of the property and got the birds talkin'. It was something. Hey NTBNB, I live down the road in Broken Bow so if you ever want to hunt up here with someone new just holler. Howdy Mark, how r things? I took a bit of a break but I gonna start coming around again. Later my friends.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion