Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Turkeybuster

RE: Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Postby Turkeybuster » February 22nd, 2009, 7:25 am

TC
This Is why I went strictly to custom calls, two years ago I dropped a double glass call I had for 25yrs.
At that time I paid 30.00 for the call a lot of money then but it had a lot of turkey in it. I took the call back to Cody as they are located close to me and Bill rebuilt the sound chamber and replaced all of the glass at no charge. This is where the custom call enters the equasion try that with a commercial call maker. If you get a call from them and over the years you grove it from use they will rebuild that call for you at no charge. Box calls usually don't wear out but some minor damage can be repaired by the call maker and they will do that. Diaphrams require a strict tolerance in streching the latex to assure you consistent sound from call to call you won't find it in commercial calls. I got to the point that I was throwing three diaphrams away to get one good call. I wrote the company about it and they sent me six calls these calls being consistent and I'am sure they didn't come off their assembly line. So my point is buy good calls from a reliable call maker instead of the big box stores, you will throw half of them away anyhow. I'am very particular about my calls maybe more than most but I'am not going out there to yelp at the world.You will on accasion find a out of the ordinary commercial call and if you do buy it.
This happened to me a few weeks ago at the Eastern Sportsman show I ran a glass call that had a two note yelp out of this world, a person came from two isles over to ask me how I was makeing that yelp needless to say It took a ride in my truck,I also passed on a mahogany/walnut box call for 25.00 and still hate myself!
TB

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 22nd, 2009, 7:51 am

Cody isn't custom. You can buy them at the store.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 22nd, 2009, 8:02 am

You can buy some of them at the store but not the World Class or Spec. 1 calls.
Also there is the Legend 100 made and all sold hope this clears that up.

Turkeybuster

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 22nd, 2009, 8:09 am

Cody does have a few custom made calls. He will make some special from what I understand. They do stand behind their product and one of the best sounding slate pots I own is a Cody Woodsman.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 22nd, 2009, 8:37 am

Hi Limbhanger 150
His World Class and the Spec 1 can be ordered from him only and are not sold in stores there is usually a waiting period as he only makes a limited number of them each year.
The woodsman is a very good call I have one I wouldn't part with also like the woodsman glass.
I like the idea that if you damage the call it can be repaired and will sound like new.
Turkeybuster

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 4:19 am

Anywhere there is money to be made you will see over commercialization.....Its been getting worse every year, but you also see more trucks on the side of the road hunting gobs each spring, so they know that every weekend warrior will want all the new gadgets.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 23rd, 2009, 5:50 pm

I just returned from Nashville and I can honestly say there are alot of calls that do not sound like a turkey. I would walk up to the booth, hear the owner running a call and it was not decent, I would not even pick up these calls. There are seriously some mass produced pot and box calls that talk turkey well compared to these calls.  With this being said there was also some booths with really good sounding calls.

So yes turkey calls have become somewhat commercialized either through marketing or looks of the caller. I have always said give me the ugliest pot call made from the ugliest piece of wood availiable and if it talks turkey well I am satisfied.

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 23rd, 2009, 5:56 pm

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

There are seriously some mass produced pot and box calls that talk turkey well compared to these calls.  

When you saw those pro-staffers running those mass produced calls that you thought sounded so good (and I'm not doubting your opinion, either, I bet they did sound really good), did you walk up and ask them if you could buy the exact pot or box they were running instead of the ones in the bubble packs hanging on the pegs by the hundreds????

(That was a rhetorical question by the way, no need to answer, only making a point)

I do know one thing for sure, a reputable callmaker will sell you the call in his hands that he's using to attract attention to his booth.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 23rd, 2009, 7:44 pm

I know what you are saying PA, but I am basing this on some of the better mass produced calls from the big names that I have run, not the ones being run in the booths.

And yes I understand a reputable maker will sell the one in his hands. But my original point is that I wouldnt want the ones in some of there hands. [:@]

tinker

Postby tinker » February 23rd, 2009, 8:44 pm

I love buying calls from the mom-n-pop makers at my local sportsman show, but I would be lying if I told you I didnt have a few knight and hale or primos calls in my vest. If it sounds good to me , I am buying it! That being said, I will always lean towards the mom n pops before a blister-pack call maker. I live about an hour away from Quaker Boy, so I feel some alegence to them but I also like having my call signed by the fella who made it!!!
 Hell, has anybody here ver made there own diaphrams out of Trojan condoms and athletic tape? I did!!! (note to all of ya, dont use the lubricated ones!)

Tink

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion