Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Postby shaman » February 21st, 2009, 1:12 pm

One thing that really boils my bunny is how so much of the internet content related to turkey hunting is all related to buying product and little more.  The forums are some of the few places that you can actually get decent information on what to do with the stuff after you buy it.

Turkey hunting is one of the LEAST consumerist sports out there.  It's a bummer that folks try to make it a cargo-fest.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 21st, 2009, 5:00 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

One thing that really boils my bunny is how so much of the internet content related to turkey hunting is all related to buying product and little more.  The forums are some of the few places that you can actually get decent information on what to do with the stuff after you buy it.

Turkey hunting is one of the LEAST consumerist sports out there.  It's a bummer that folks try to make it a cargo-fest.

A very high percentage of forums have nothing but crap info on them..You have to weed thru it..thats another test altogether
turkeykiller

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 21st, 2009, 6:12 pm

> wonder how they came up with such stupid names for many of these callers. <

Very interesting and it's usually good for a laugh. Here a few of the more unique ones:

Just a few years ago the trend was for whimsical names-

Primos ..........."Freak"
M.A.D. ..........."Egg"
Woods Wise.... "Mystic"
Knight & Hale... "Pocket Puppy"
H.S. Strut....... "Witch"

Now, the calls themselves sound like weapons-

Primos......... "Battleship"
M.A.D. ........ "Bomb Squad"
M.A.D.......... "Hatchet"
Knight & Hale "Hammer"
H.S. Strut.... "Gobbler Grenade"

Anyone have a take on this marketing phenomenon? If I was to guess, they're probably aimed at the younger hunter with a propensity for "run and gun" tactics. That might also help explain the latest vest trend that would have you with calls strapped all over your chest like some modern day turkey commando.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 21st, 2009, 6:53 pm

One thing that I don't understand about commercial call companies is when they do get a good call they will market it for a few years then drop it from their line and come up with a piece of crap and try to market it with the assumption that the new call is superior to the old one.
I have seen this done with all types of calls and then you see the consumer scurring to buy all of the old calls up. The trend is to get the prices up and as soon as one company jumps their price the other ones tend to try to catch up.Calls are expensive Boxes are going out of site Mouth calls go up about a dollar a year Slates are going up also. There is one company in particular that when their calls hit the market they were high dollar and still are today this seemed to start a trend and we were dumb enough to fall for it. I sent two calls back to them one I wouldn't accept another slate and the glass call they couldn't get it right so they sent it back and also sent a new call to me which was very nice of them but that one didn't sound much better.Another company which I used their diaphrams for years cheapened their latex and dropped a couple of the diaphrams from their line so what is up with that?
I had it at this point and went strictly to custom calls, calls I can get made and calls that can be repaired if I sit on them or drop them.It may be a little more expensive but you have a quality call without fishing around.I don't need ebony in my box call or funny slits in my diaphrams or zebra wood in my pot call just a basic custom call that is full of turkey and I could care less what call was used at the win the latest competition.
TB

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 21st, 2009, 8:15 pm

Brothers, I honestly got to see it in its purity today at the Nats. I took a fifteen year old with me and he ran a multitude of pot calls and box calls. I might add he can run them both quite well. He has not learned the "finer" arts of trumpets, wingbones or diaphrams yet. He had his pick of any caller that he liked. I would also like to add that he did not pick either one of my favorites. What he picked was a caller that he could run in his normal technique with confidence. It was not a production call with a fancy name. It was not even a call made by a prominent call maker with an extensive "list". It was a caller that "HE" felt comfortable running and could make suitable renditions of certain calls that he could use in hunting situations. I will not name the callers he chose because it means very little to anyone but himself.  The point is what may work for you may not work for me. What right does any person have to critique another when comes to his caller choice? As long as it works.

I had one the best times I have ever had watching him choose a couple of callers. We even attended a seminar or two and picked up a couple of things that we may try this season. It was a great day.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 22nd, 2009, 2:25 am

I don't think I read anyone on this thread criticizing another for his choice of callers.  If the caller works well consistently, that is enough.  I would think that all would agree that the vast majority of commercially made turkey callers are junk designed more to separate the consumer from his money than to consistently call turkeys.

I use the same Morgan Caller I began with in 1973.  I use an inexpensive box with no recognizable name because it makes reasonable yelps.  I would like to own a fine box, but I don't.  I have three wingbone callers that I carry, one Jordan type that I made, a Jordan type made by another and a two bone caller that I made over twenty years ago.  I would like to own a nice sounding trumpet, but I don't.  I use the Morgan Frictionwood caller because of the ability to manipulate it to make the sounds I find most appealing to a gobbler.  TC made a comment in another post about a piece of slate in the hand sounding better than a pot.  I agree and have used a piece of slate or other similar type of material for years.  My strikers are commercial, but nothing fancy or expensive.  I occasionally use a nail on a piece of rock or ceramic.  I will occasionally use a diaphram caller, but I find that it is difficult to replace a good one when I am able to find one.  I bought a couple from StevePA last year that still sound good, but whether I will be able to replace them remains to be seen.

I would carry the callers with stupid sounding names if I had confidence in them, but I have not found any that instilled that confidence.  Perhaps in some instances it is the stupid name that creates a bias in me that will not allow me to believe that the caller has turkey in it, but I don't think so.  I know turkey when I hear it and I seldom hear any turkey in the callers with stupid names.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » February 22nd, 2009, 2:49 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Now, the calls themselves sound like weapons-

Anyone have a take on this marketing phenomenon? If I was to guess, they're probably aimed at the younger hunter with a propensity for "run and gun" tactics. That might also help explain the latest vest trend that would have you with calls strapped all over your chest like some modern day turkey commando.

The biggest influence is from the wars.  The same thing happened ads in the 40's with WWII. Somewhere I saw the back contour of a shotgun's receiver being favorably compared to a P51 Mustang.  If you picked that one apart, that was a serious mind-bender.

You are also starting to see digital camo in the turkey hunting clothing lines. The only reason for digital camo is to fool turkeys armed with nightvision goggles.  The day i run across one, I'm getting out of the sport. 

The call company I represent markets directly counter to all that. Their pitch is aimed at picking off folks that are disaffected by the hype, the mass-production, and all that. One product is deliberately left rough without finish sanding or staining. It's just a good loud box call tuned by guy who knows his stuff. The major selling point, if there is one, is that for every one of Toby's Dixie Darlin's that gets sold, several get thrown out the window onto the wood pile. Toby's a stickler on tuning, and the company was astute in trying to accentuate that.

I'm not trying to sell Toby's call or anyone else's.  I'm just saying that marketing is marketing. If I sell you a call that's made from space-age polymer or old barn siding or skid wood whittled by an old blind codger in a tarpaper shack. There's an image attached.  Whatever you carry into the woods represents some image. Some people respond to fighter planes, some folks like bombs, some people like old blind codgers. Any way you look at it, sooner or later you're pulling out your billfold and at that point, an unseen finger is moving to flick off the safety.
ImageImage

shaman

Postby shaman » February 22nd, 2009, 5:52 am

BTW:  I just wanted to apologize in advance to all the old blind codgers out there, their friends and families.  I didn't want you thinking I had anything against them. I didn't want to come off as maligning their maladies, their age, or suggest that all old blind codgers live in tar paper shacks.  I've known a couple that did, and one of them made really lousy turkey calls, and wove baskets that fell apart, but I don't think his was representative of the body of of work done by old codgers, blind codgers, or any combination thereof regardless of their living conditions.
ImageImage

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 22nd, 2009, 5:57 am

ORIGINAL: deja vu

In the rephrased question.... I think I would have to say .. absolutely.
I really think the word "callmaker" has been molested, or maybe "custom callmaker"
It` amayzing (or disturbing) the amount of junk out there, and your right... seems like more every day. If there is money to be made, there are people out there that will try to take advantage quick.

In the rephrased question, I agree with deja vu
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2009, 6:42 am

Some hunters are constantly looking for an edge, or had such poor success in previous hunting seasons, that the idea of a new or different call might somehow change their luck.  People are suckers. The market is filled with gizmos & gadgets that are all designed to make current calls appear inferior, so some hunters can be fooled into thinking that their old calls are somehow ineffective, or not AS effective as the shiny, new model. Fishing tackle is much the same...how many lures are designed to catch a fisherman's eye, yet fail to perform in the water?  As long as the consumer can be fooled into buying it, the call /tackle company designers are in business. Without new products, there would be little need for as many designers & engineers to be employed by the mass production companies and the company would not reap as much profit.

Yet, an antique wood Jitterbug works as well on bass as a 35 year old Lynch box call does on turkeys. There is a reason both are still manufactured.

I happen to favor a slate turkey call that the pot is injection molded plastic (it sounds great & has accounted for a bunch of dead Gobblers) mainly because several years ago, I lost a hand-made wood one that had been rendered useless by weather when I found it many months later.  Funny thing is, as good as that plastic pot slate sounds, the company no longer manufactures it and has gone with a "New & Improved" model with a different name. *sigh* See what I mean? 

I chose the calls I own because I can make them sound good enough for Turkeys to believe they are real birds calling, which builds my confidence using them & translates to hunting success.  I can't say how many calls I've discarded  because they didn't measure up.  Years ago, I fell into the hype of looking for a "new" edge, until I realized that I just needed to stick with what works for me.

Now all I do is replace the worn out diaphragms as necessary & keep better track of my slate / strikers.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion