Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Postby StevePA » February 21st, 2009, 6:27 am

....has the turkey call been ruined by money and greed?....
turkeykiller

paboxcall

RE: Over commercialization of turkey calls.....

Postby paboxcall » February 21st, 2009, 6:29 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

....has the turkey call been ruined by money and greed?....

No, Steve.  As you know there's still some great call makers out there. 

The turkey call BUYER has been ruined by turkey call company money and greed.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 21st, 2009, 6:37 am

Steve, I don't think so.  There are some company's that are selling calls that are way over priced.  There a lot of individuals that are making great quality calls not massed produced for the love making calls and the reward is knowing that someone has taken a fine bird with their call.  There is a handful in PA as you know that make quality calls and are not rich as a result. It all boils down IMO to one's own choice and not who made the call and how much one paid for it.  That is what free enterprize is all about.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 21st, 2009, 6:47 am

Maybe I should rephrase the question a lil....Has the turkey call been molested by "callmakers" for money making purposes?...I mean look around and see the "callmakers" out there...at least a million new ones every day..lol...
turkeykiller

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 21st, 2009, 7:07 am

In the rephrased question.... I think I would have to say .. absolutely.
I really think the word "callmaker" has been molested, or maybe "custom callmaker"
It` amayzing (or disturbing) the amount of junk out there, and your right... seems like more every day. If there is money to be made, there are people out there that will try to take advantage quick.
"Old School Elitist"

shaman

Postby shaman » February 21st, 2009, 7:15 am

I am on the pro-staff of a turkey call company.  The company turns out one-of-a-kind hardwood calls that work well and sound great.  They're nice calls.  They're remarkably inexpensive. I'm not trying to sell you those calls right now, I'm just saying.

On the other hand, I can go over to Basspro or Walmart and see the wall of pegs filled with calls that sound about the same and cost about the same, but they were mfg'd by some mexican who has no idea what he's doing out of injected plastic. He gets pennies an hour to do it. The call company gets delivery by the container load. Both the mfg and the retailer has a huge markup. It's sold you by a counter monkey with no more credentials than a nametag.

Or I can order some parts from customsawing.com, sit around with some sandpaper and construction adhesive and a little varnish and have a call that will kill a turkey with a couple of hours' work over the next week or so.

Some people don't care. Some people don't understand the difference. Some people would rather buy on reputation, or based on a NASCAR decal.   I've killed turkeys using all three kinds of calls. I know the turkey doesn't care.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 21st, 2009, 9:51 am

It is not so much the caller as it is the sport that has been over commercialized. There has always been a certain amount of junk out there, but now there is a ton of it.  I roll with laughter when I browse a catalog of "turkey callers" and wonder how they came up with such stupid names for many of these callers.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 21st, 2009, 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

...I roll with laughter when I browse a catalog of "turkey callers" and wonder how they came up with such stupid names for many of these callers.

How true.  They really do end up with some of the dumbest names. 
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 21st, 2009, 10:34 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

It is not so much the caller as it is the sport that has been over commercialized.

No question about that. 

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 21st, 2009, 1:01 pm

i think there to much commercialization i'm not going to buy a call just because this or that guy uses them lately i'm looking at small dealers and  i'm not going spend 80 dolllars or more on a call i buy calls just like my guns to use not hang on the wall and look at

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion