WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stormshooter4

RE: WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Postby stormshooter4 » February 9th, 2009, 12:46 am

I load at the car using the interior lights to see with. Putting 3 shells in the mag only. Nothing in the chamber. I'll walk across the road to my spot, set up dekes and the blind or stick in the ground blind, lay out my calls and strikers I plan on using, get comfortable, and then I'll work the action real slow to load one in the chamber. Then it's time to enjoy the day waking up and taking in the morning sounds til it's daylight.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 9th, 2009, 1:14 am

I can't believe some of you guys do "runnin & gunnin" without your gun loaded. I couldn't do it. In all the excitement of hearing a gobbler being close, I would forget to load it and then I would hear that unmistakable "CLICK" [8|]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 9th, 2009, 3:29 am

I load my gun when I leave the truck. I hunt alone 75% of the time and am confident in my safety mindset and awareness. I am also conscious of safety when with someone else and will remind them of such if neccesary.

As far as you guys who will not shoot a turkey you didn't call up, that is admirable but I'm not that proud. Sometimes good woodsmanship will get you a turkey you can't call up and is usually the more difficult. To each his own though. That's what makes this old world go 'round.

Hope you all have a safe and successful season.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 9th, 2009, 3:59 am

Load when entering the woods. Unload when leaving.

Most safety issues present themselves when hunting with multiple people as you can only be responsible for yourself. As in the case with Gobblerman, I'm sure he's realized by now that carrying a loaded shotgun in one hand while traveling is not a good idea. We cover a lot of ground in Missouri and the safest place for your gun is slung across your back at an angle with your head and right arm through the sling. The safety and trigger are behind you protected from brush and the muzzle is above your head pointed to the side. It cannot slip off as when slung over just a shouder and you have both hands free in case you slip, trip or fall.

> Sometimes good woodsmanship will get you a turkey you can't call up and is usually the more difficult. To each his own though. <

A bit off topic but that's the best post I've read in a month. I'm sure wisturkeyhunter meant he wouldn't shoot a turkey someone else had called up, not a turkey that wouldn't respond to calling.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

jpb

Postby jpb » February 9th, 2009, 4:21 am

I usually load 3 in the tube at the truck.When my butt hits the dirt I rack one in the chamber.If and when I move its a toss up.In the hay,now corn fileds I will leave on in the chamber with the safety on.Slung over my shoulder.If I have to cross one of the small streams with slicker than snot rocks in it ill empty the chamber and put the round in my pocket.Cross the stream and re-chamber.The few seconds it takes is peace of mind for me.
Joe

sonofdsouth72

Postby sonofdsouth72 » February 9th, 2009, 4:41 am

i load up once i get out of the truck and start into the woods .
there never is a off day of hunting !

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 9th, 2009, 3:09 pm

I load before I walk into the woods and unload when I come out.  If it's daylight, good weather and I'm familiar with the walking route, I'll have one chambered.  If visibility is limited or I'm walking new territory, the chamber will be empty.  Going up or down steep ridges, the chamber will be empty and before traversing creeks I'll unload it completely.  I'm retired military and I habitually carry my weapon at port arms.  I just feel like I have the best two handed control that way, it's close to my body, yet the business end is always ponted up and away.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 9th, 2009, 3:33 pm

[;)]

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 3:43 pm

I load my gun when I get out of the truck and am about to walk into the woods.  I have the safety on, and the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times.  There is nothing unsafe about that.
I have a pump gun, and as such, need to ensure the action is completely closed so I don't have a "click" when Mr. Big struts on in.  If I wait until I am in position and have a tom gobbling on the roost, I don't want to make that much noise.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 10th, 2009, 3:59 am

My gun gets loaded at the truck and chambered with safety on, I will then unload once the hunt is over.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion