WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 7:27 am

i see,,,,probably why many of us prefer to hunt alone ,,,,something goes wrong and there is noone to be mad at but ourselves. on the other hand ,,,according to statistics , my life is over half used up ,,,therefore i ain't takin' chances no longer,,,,i want to live to hunt gobblers as long as i can. if you turkey hunt with me we'll all wait till setup time to load.
that story of the feller carrying his loaded gun pointed carelessly at the man in front,,,well that's happened to me for the last time .
there happens to be a lot of folks that never handle a gun till it's time to go hunting , and they don't hunt all year. training and familiarity of the firearm makes good safety sense to me. like so many things in life,,,ACTIONS WILL SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS,,,and i don't believe many of the fellers that i've hunted with , when they talk .

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 8th, 2009, 7:28 am

I load at the truck.  It is a question of noise, metallic noise. 
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 8th, 2009, 8:53 am

Shotgun's not much good unloaded.  I fill 'er up when it comes out of the truck & empty it before it goes back in the case when the hunt is over.

I usually carry my shotgun on a sling over my shoulder (safety on) when I'm walking in (in the dark) & carry it at the ready (also safety on) on the way out...unless I'm totin' a bird, then I sling it again.

I only take the safety off right before I intend to shoot.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

shaman

Postby shaman » February 8th, 2009, 8:55 am

I've always hunted with a pump or auto. I used to be of the sort that loaded at the truck.  Then I got to thinking of it, and decided that it was just too dangerous to be relying on the safety.  It was the only hunting sport I did where I was walking around cocked and locked.  Even  bird hunting, I walked with the bolt open on my 1100 and a round in my hand. Where I bird hunted, the hills were steep and I just could  never depend on my footing. I've practiced the drill for so long it's automatic: start with my back turned to the trap, yell 'pull', flip the round in and press the release as I turn, shoulder the gun, acquire the bird, aim, and present fire. Finally, one season, I declared an end to depending on the safety when I was turkey hunting.

It payed off a few years ago.  I was crossing a fence line about 200 yards from the house.  The fence was down in this spot.  I'd been walking through this opening for years.  However, as i walked through the opening this one afternoon, a tangle of barbed wire under the leaves caught my right foot and I went sprawling.  I got up, and dusted myself off and checked the barrel. Then it hit me that the first time I'd ever gone across that opening in the fence I'd been fully loaded. 

I almost always wait to load until I get into my setup, and I now do all my walking around with bolt open and two in the magazine with one in my shirt pocket ready to go.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 8th, 2009, 9:48 am

Depends on what I'm doing and who I am with.  If I am using the "sit and wait" method, I will have a round chambered.  If I am "running and gunning", and hunting with other hunters, the chamber will be kept empty until a gobbler is struck.  If I am by myself, I sometimes will carry a round in the chamber, unless the terrain is difficult enough that I think there are safety issues.  Here is some food for thought.

Decades ago, I learned a valuable and lucky lesson about carrying a loaded gun in the woods.  I was alone, and several miles back in the Gila Wilderness, descending a steep slope headed towards a distant gobble I had heard.  I was hurrying along, trying to cut the distance to the gobbler as quickly as I could, carrying my old reliable Model 12.  I had the gun firmly (I thought) in one hand as I scrambled down the hillside, using the other hand to help keep my balance as I went. 

I was a lot younger then and, of course, thought I was indestructable, so I always carried a chambered round, thinking that there would come a time when I would not have that split second needed to pump a shell into the gun.   Anyway, as I clambered down the hill, I hit a patch of dry pine needles covering some loose soil.  Instantly, both feet went out from underneath me so suddenly that my gun-carrying hand jerked violently upward, sending the shotgun airborn like a twirling baton. 

As I landed on my back, I watched the gun, seemingly in slow motion, as it made a couple of quick cartwheels and then headed back to earth six feet below me and landed sharply and solidly on it's butt, with the business end pointed straight at me.  Fortunately, I heard the dull thud that followed, as the gun harmelessly came to a rest. Chills went instantaneously up my spine as I realized just how close I had been to spending my eternity sprawled out dead on that remote canyon hillside.
To this day, thirty years later, I can still see that shotgun spinning in mid-air in front of me, and the feeling of helplessness I felt as it hit the ground.

I learned a priceless lesson on that day.  No matter how competent one thinks he is with a weapon, nor how safety conscious, things can happen in the blink of an eye that can change lives, and the living, forever.  Each of us should think often about the possible consequences of carrying a loaded weapon in instances where it really is not necessary, and especially when there are multiple individuals involved.

Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 9:59 am

good example and good story.

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » February 8th, 2009, 12:13 pm

I load when it is legal shooting time. I will not shoot a bird I just walk up on. This is 1 less thing to make noise when I get set up.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 8th, 2009, 2:41 pm

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

I'm loaded anytime I'm in the woods during legal shooting hours. With turkey hunting you never know whats going to happen. I won't shoot a bird unless I call one in but if I'm walking along and a bird gobbles 100 yards or less away I want my gun already loaded so all I have to worry about is setting up and calling.

I do the same

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » February 8th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I loading my gun as soon as I get out of my truck... I've seen to many so called experts try to shoot a turkey with a unloaded gun... 

I do not see anything un safe about walking in the woods with a loaded firearm...
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » February 8th, 2009, 5:39 pm

deleted double post
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion