WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 2:01 am

some bad habits are very hard to break. when i was young there was only small game to hunt. we all would load our guns as soon as we crossed the first fence or left the vehicle.you know as well as i that gun safety is foremost in any hunt.
there is an old bumpersticker that reads ''SOME GUYS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A BUCK ''.such as shoot from the road or truck cab. the same applies to some turkey hunters. question is, are you out to work a bird or just shoot one ? is there any point in loading before you setup ? with the exception of MAN EATERS being in your area i don't believe so. unless you are willing to shoot a bird you didn't call in . i will not shoot a bird i didn't call .

'' old school turkey tactics ''

greyghost

RE: WHEN DO YOU LOAD ?

Postby greyghost » February 8th, 2009, 3:07 am

I will not load until in the woods. Sometimes not until a bird is located. I have old doubles which are really quiet. I will most times hunting with someone have the gun loaded but the gun is still open, especially if we are walking.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 8th, 2009, 3:37 am

I'm loaded anytime I'm in the woods during legal shooting hours. With turkey hunting you never know whats going to happen. I won't shoot a bird unless I call one in but if I'm walking along and a bird gobbles 100 yards or less away I want my gun already loaded so all I have to worry about is setting up and calling.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 8th, 2009, 3:47 am

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

I'm loaded anytime I'm in the woods during legal shooting hours. With turkey hunting you never know whats going to happen. I won't shoot a bird unless I call one in but if I'm walking along and a bird gobbles 100 yards or less away I want my gun already loaded so all I have to worry about is setting up and calling.

Same here
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 8th, 2009, 4:04 am

I load the night before.  But I hunt with a muzzle loader.  I cap only at set-up.  I place a leather strip accross the nipples and have a loaded tag I attach to the trigger guard when stored.  The only exception is when hunting in the rain.  Once I set-up and cap I keep the gun capped.  Normally I carry the gun on a sling over my shoulder so there is really no point in keeping it capped.  Never had a problem in 30+ years of hunting with front stuffers.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 4:08 am

i use a double which is quite a bit quieter to open and close than a pump or auto .

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 8th, 2009, 4:23 am

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

[:D]

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 8th, 2009, 5:05 am

I don`t load till I have a bird located, I use an auto, but only load 2 shells, one in the chamber and one in the tube. I know some guys who load the gun to max (5 shells) and I can see that being a possible problem if they waited. Once loaded, I don`t usually unload till I am on my way out of the woods.
"Old School Elitist"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 8th, 2009, 6:17 am

Have to agree with TC. I typically hunt with fifteen people a year.

I Love the guy[:@] You are walking in front of and has the gun at his side pointed forward. You think OK I am walkin behind this guy, next thing the gun is over his shoulder pointed backwards. Then I typically lose my cool.

howl

Postby howl » February 8th, 2009, 6:26 am

I keep mine loaded all the time. When I hunt with others, I am inclined not to put one in the chamber until the last possible moment and ask the same of them. However, I took a newbie out once and assumed that he knew how to slip one in quietly enough that a bird a couple hundred yards away could not hear. Jacking one in will sure shut a bird up sometimes....

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion