Getting into Turkey Shape

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
saxman

RE: Getting into Turkey Shape

Postby saxman » February 4th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I had a Kidney Transplant in March of 07 and the meds I'm on just beat me up and make everything phyisical very hard but I love to hunt so much that it motivates me to do what I need to do to be there.

I've killed 7 deer so far this season and did all the work myself
I'm proud of that.

I am chomping at the bit for March.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 4th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I used to play hockey (ice & in-line) year-round and ran 3-5 miles every weekday, plus did 250 to 275 push-ups after the run in the morning before work. The car crash I was in on 4-21-07 ended my hockey career at age 46 (can't stand another head injury) and hard running hurts, skating is out of the question, but I still jog for exercise to the best of my ability most days.  I had shoulder surgery two weeks ago to rebuild my left shoulder and get me more feeling in my left arm/ hand. The stitches come out tomorrow & I'll have to go back to square one on the rehab for my shoulder, but I should be good to go by turkey season.  if not, I will just have to shoot right-handed. My best hunting buddy offered to do the shooting if I couldn't, as long as I called 'em in... 

It is all about desire (just like typing this with one hand).  When I was in rehab working to get my broken pelvis used to bearing weight again, I met many people who were more busted up than me working their hardest, when they didn't have as good a chance to get back to as good a condition as I did. Anytime the thought of how hard it is for me creeps into my head, thinking how steep a hill they had to climb always gives me that cold slap of reality.

I love turkey hunting and would probably be out there trying if I had to do it from a wheelchair.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

sonofdsouth72

Postby sonofdsouth72 » February 5th, 2009, 5:45 am

i do plenty of walkin with my job . plus im always hunting so i kind of stay in shape till after turkey season i get lazy when fishing .
there never is a off day of hunting !

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 5th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Seems like every year around this time it feels like I'm carring around 10 to 15 extra pounds. I use the approach of turkey season to motivate myself to loose it. It sure feels good to get it off but its getting harder every year to do it.
live to hunt hunt to live

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 6th, 2009, 11:04 am

As for myself I go to the gym a couple times during week ,and scout for turkeys when I can helps me to.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 6th, 2009, 12:06 pm

been doing the same job for 24 years. i do a lot of walking,,,on concrete. it ain't exercise by no means. that stuff is poison at its best.
i attached one of those gizmos that measure how far you walk. one ten hour day = 9+ miles of concrete. i agree that walking is good exercise ,,,,if you are walking in grass , where you must pick up your feet. want more ,,,walk in some fescue about 6 - 8 inches tall,,,add some incline and you muscles will ache,,,for a day or two.
i don't claim to be in top condition ,,,toward the end of spring season i feel a lot better than i did early on.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 10th, 2009, 3:21 am

I WEIGHT TRAIN IN THE MORNING BACK UP WITH A 3.5 MILE WALK.

JPH

Postby JPH » March 10th, 2009, 4:18 am

Check out this board on our brother forum, D&DH.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tt.aspx?forumid=66

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 10th, 2009, 5:20 am

45 minutes of cardio here 3 days a week.  I switch between the eliptical, stair stepper and the treadmill at various inclines and difficulty.  The stair stepper I hit hard the last 2 weeks of April because the area I hunt in Upstate NY has tall ridges everywhere and it gets me used to walking up steep areas.  I keep in pretty good shape being in the Coast Guard and all but I like stepping it up at the gym 6 weeks before the season because it makes it a whole lot easier for me.
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 10th, 2009, 8:27 am

I've been running about 5 days a week for last couple weeks, I just got up to 3 miles this week.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion