Getting into Turkey Shape

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

Getting into Turkey Shape

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 5:57 am

Just wondered what if anything you guys do to get into or stay in shape for hunting? I used to work construction for a living and stayed in pretty good physical shape. I have had a sit down office job for the last several years and it had made me kind of lazy. After trying to keep up with a twenty something hunting buddy last spring and a short stay in the hospital this past summer I changed my eating habits and started to exercise. I go to our local Y three times a week for some weight training and some cardio exercise. On my off days from the gym when the daylight hours are longer I try to get out and walk or ride a bike. On the weekends I try to get out and walk the country side hunting or scouting.   

greyghost

RE: Getting into Turkey Shape

Postby greyghost » February 3rd, 2009, 7:37 am

Although I have not seen a gym in many years [:o]. I just try and get out in the woods and hump hills [8|] . At work although we have an elevator that goes to the 9th floor, I walk the stairs [&o]. Although I try to watch what I eat, I watch it go from the pastry cabinet to my mouth [:)].

I will push myself a lot. No pain, no gain. Aches and pain, just take the pain [:@].

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 3rd, 2009, 7:49 am

I have always taken the Ben Lee approach and just did what it took to get my fat butt into a good calling position.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 3rd, 2009, 8:10 am

Shape? I always thought ROUND was a shape,that seems to be where I'm headed.I usually try to start walking about mid of Feb. for spring. Fall season I'm usually all right, from all the other types of hunting.
canecreekcalls.com

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 3rd, 2009, 10:33 am

With my dog passing this past spring I have had no ambition to go for walks. In a typically winter he and I would walk for hours a couple times a week in the woods. With his passing and the butt hole deep snow I havent done squat.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 3rd, 2009, 12:53 pm

I start cutting next years firewood in Feb. but we have too much ice this year will start as soon as the
ice melts.
I work in construction and that helps but the cold weather has put that on hold somewhat.
Will spend a lot of time scouting late march and early april.

Turkeybuster

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 3rd, 2009, 1:12 pm

I do alot of hiking when the season comes in. I'm in pretty good shape by the second week [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 3rd, 2009, 2:24 pm

walkin the hills around here in TN  has always been sufficient for me,plus i do a lot of walkin' at work

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 3rd, 2009, 3:59 pm

Hey Brad,

For the last 7 days I've been out shoveling snow and chipping ice. That really let me know that I'd gotten out of shape over the winter, as if my waist line hadn't already told me. There has been a combination of events that have kept me from working out this winter and I can really tell the difference.

If all goes well, I hope to get back to the gym in a few days. I have in the past, worked out for at least 3 days a week during the winter and that has kept me in decent shape for the spring. There have been exceptions and I've paid the price for that.

We'll see what the next few days have in store and then go from there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 3rd, 2009, 4:04 pm

I walked three miles this morning. Part of it up and down these so. Tenn. hills. If I can't get outside, I have an eliptical in the house and a treadmill in the shop.

I'll be lean and mean by March 16. (poet and don't know it)[;)]
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion