Hearing aids vs Game ears????????

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

Hearing aids vs Game ears????????

Postby Steve_In » March 9th, 2009, 6:02 pm

I am in need of hearing aids.  30+ years in machine shops have taken their toll.  I have been quoted $3000 and up for hearing aids.  I am reluctant to spend that much and insurance won't cover.  Would a game ear be any help?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

trkynut54

RE: Hearing aids vs Game ears????????

Postby trkynut54 » March 10th, 2009, 3:13 am

I used the Walker Game Ears for 10 years. They are a good company and stand by them. I was having trouble with 1 and I sent it back and for 60.00 they sent me another one.

If you do decide to get Walkers make sure you get 2 of them, that way you can tell what direction the sound is coming from. Now I have the Miracle Ear Hearing Aids, both ears.I don't regret paying that 3 grand for mine either. I think it's the best investment I made.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 10th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Trkynut how do the Miracle ears compare?  thanks for the reply.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 11th, 2009, 2:33 am

Try a product called Sound Scopes. They shut off anything above 80 decibles in a millisecond and turn right back on automatically. When I bought mine they were about $400 for the pair. If you are married try to keep your spouse from washing and drying them when you (or she) forgets to check the pockets of your camo[:D]. Your audiologist will take an impression of your ear and custom order them for you. Walker is "one size fits all".  Even with one in each ear, you may have some trouble "coursing" the direction of the sound. I use them to hear birds, then just leave the one in the muzzle side ear to work and shoot the bird. Your ear opposite the muzzle blast takes less of the brunt  because your head acts as a buffer.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 11th, 2009, 3:31 am

ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Trkynut how do the Miracle ears compare?  thanks for the reply.

To be honest with you I like the Miracle Ears the best. They stay right in your ears, I wear them constantly except when I go to bed or take a shower. But you can wear them while it's raining it doesn't bother them at all. Like onpoint said above the dr. form fits them just for your ears. I'm glad I got them. They are great for hunting turkeys. It used to be I couldn't hear any gobblers when the leaves were on the trees, now I can.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 11th, 2009, 3:49 am

I need a pair of hearing aids, but cost and this: http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?submit22=Search+Latest+3+Months+of+Rip-Off+Reports+Now!&q1=ALL&q5=Miracle+Ear&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0

have me clueless about what to do.

Here is a good starting point site: Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hearing-aids/HQ00812

You should start with a good competent audiologist.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 11th, 2009, 9:30 am

My 1st wife was an  hearing aid dispenser and audiologist.  She used to do a ton of business with folks that tried the big name guys and then looked for a second opinion.  Her hearing aids were better than the Beltones and the Miracle Ears, but she could price them at a fraction of list and still make a bundle on the deal. 

Look for an independent hearing aid dispenser.  As I remember Siemens is an excellent choice for a MFG and they sell through independent vendors. See if you can find out who sells them in your area.

I had several friends who used my ex.  In most cases, the aid made incredible changes in their lives, all for the better.

One other tip: unless you're vain, go with the behind the ear hearing aid.  They're so much less expensive and easier to maintain.  You pay gobs for the in-the-ear type due to the minaturization.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Steve_In do whatever you want to do. I've had my hearing aids for over a year now and I haven't had a problem with them at all. 

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion