Ethics Check: The Mystery Caller

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Ethics Check: The Mystery Caller

Postby shaman » March 12th, 2009, 2:26 am

I've had this sort of thing happen a few times.  It is strictly a bad situation.   I have to say C, if you think you can get out of there safely.   Safety is the primary concern here.   You could be shot. If a gobbler shows up, you don't know if your shot is going to hit the other guy.  This is where having a little hunter orange to put on helps. When I hunt public land I carry at least an orange hat when I'm up walking.

#2 son and I got a shot string over our heads once on my own property from a poaching neighbor on our first time out on our new farm.  In another situation, a buddy of mine and I were on our side of the line calling to a turkey on the same side .  The line ran down a creek bed.  There was another hunter somewhere on the other side that we could not hear.  The gob came up and crossed the line and went to the other hunter, but in doing so, he came between us all.  All we knew was it seemed  like the gobbler was doing and end-around us and BLAM! 

Be conservative.  Announce yourself and explain your intentions before you start making movement.  I've had to announce myself with squirrel hunters and rabbit hunters during deer season.  There's nothing quite as chilling as being all dolled-up in camo up in a tree and see a squirrel hunter come in and start looking your way.  Sensible people appreciate being told they are encroaching.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

JPH

Postby JPH » March 12th, 2009, 3:44 am

D. None of the above!

First of all, some of the worst callers I have heard are real hens. I will not assume that a call is a hunter (or a bird for that matter) until I lay eyes on something.

Secondly, if it is a hunter, calling aggressively or getting up and moving are both bad ideas in my book. I stay put and wait the situation out. I see one of three things happening.

1. The hunter is going to kill "my" bird. Oh well.

2. The hen is going to steal "my" bird. Oh well again.

3. The flock is going to gather up and move toward my inital calling and I am going to have him over my shoulder soon.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 12th, 2009, 5:25 am

I hear what you're saying.  My concern is ranges involved.  If I've pegged a roost and have slid within a hundred yards,  the phantom caller is probably closer than that and puts me in range of his shotgun and he in in range of mine.

Having said that, I had a similar situation last year that  became your option  'D' .  I was hunting with Mooseboy about a 150 yards from the back corner.  There were four sound sources.  One was us.  Source 2 was a gobbler and hens. Source 3 was my neighbors calling from up the hill in the center of  their property.  Source 4 was either a very odd obnoxious hen or a caller that had come up to the back of the properties from the other side of the corner and was either camped out just on the line or just inside on my side.  We were far enough back that I did not fear for our safety.  I figured exactly as you did.  However, the geometry was such that no one was going to be hurt. We had a clean field of fire and we also had the benefit of a 5th source that showed up after flydown, a gobbler that came from further into our property and showed an interest for Moose's calling. He came close, but then faded away as the morning progresssed.

Here in this scenario, the geometry is more like a straight line.  If I call the gob towards me, I may have the interloper turning his gun my way.  At close range, that can  either mean I get shot at, mistaken for game, or the gunner shoots through the gob and doesn't know I'm on the other side.  It could just as likely be me doing the shooting.  That's why I chose 'C' and bailed out. 

The epilogue to all this was that later in the week, I recognized the obnoxious hen calls from Opening Day and followed them back to the source, well inside my property.  That was how I managed to nail the two poachers you and I discussed back in January.  These were two young zekes who did not know much of anything about calling and hunting.  If they had continued hunting in our neighborhood, they would eventually caused an accident, either by stalking sounds, or unloading their un-plugged shotguns at me or one of the other landowners.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion