Ethics Check: Distance Dilemma

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeylimb

RE: Ethics Check: Distance Dilemma

Postby turkeylimb » March 11th, 2009, 11:43 am

B. THE WAY FOR ME.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 12th, 2009, 6:29 am

Surprisingly the morbidity statistics on turkey hunting in states where rifles are allowed is fairly low.  To me, it all depends on what you feel is a legitimate trophy.  I have no problem with guys hunting with a rifle where it is legal, and I also have a slim chance of going out West to bag a Rio in the near future.  Grand Slams are probably not within my reach, so all I'm doing is armchair quarterbacking.

Having said that, I would look at it this way:  Do I want to hunt turkey with a rifle? Do I want a shot at a Grand Slam? Do I care if there is some sort of asterisk next to the Rio in my own mind or in others? Before the rifle entered into it, I'd be keen to sit at the roost tree and wait with the shotgun on that last afternoon.  With the rifle as an option, I'd be thinking about those questions hard.

I gotta say that I don't know.  Some years and some days only a mature gob is going to satisfy me. Some years, I've eaten tag soup trying to get a single old bird at flydown.   Other days in other years a 1-legged Jake with dark glasses and tin cup and a squirrel on a leash acting as his guide dog may seem like fair game.   I'd probably take the rifle along and figure it out as I was getting out of the truck.  Somebody offer me a Rio hunt, and I'll let you know.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

NAZTY

Postby NAZTY » March 12th, 2009, 7:08 am

B. Most definately! That's what truly sets turkey hunters apart from everyone else is the respect for the animals we hunt. There is a set of rules that has been passed down from generation to generation, and the main rule is don't kill him if you can't kill him right. Remember the Gobbler's sacrifice is much greater than ours.  Give him a fair chance in the game. If your shooting at him from a different zip code, what challenge does that pose, and what kinda chance does that ole gobbler have of wuppin you!

dewey

Re: Ethics Check: Distance Dilemma

Postby dewey » June 8th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I was looking through old posts and I came across this thread. Some interesting opinions given.

I am not exactly sure what I would do...I would be awfully tempted to grab that rifle, of course assuming it is legal in that state, and get that turkey to complete my single season grand slam. This is a tough question...

Thoughts?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

valimbhanger

Postby valimbhanger » June 9th, 2013, 5:29 am

"B" would be the one for me. Simply because it's about the whole ritual for me. I understand the dilemma though with the grand slam hanging in the balance. Although I saw a tactic that might have worked on that ol boy. Belly crawling out into the field at the Tom with a spread fan hiding you from him. I saw it in a hunting vid and it worked like a charm!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 9th, 2013, 8:04 am

I too will take the bet and check. I faced this very scenario 20 years ago and waited a very long time for my grand slam finishing hunt .....I waited many years for it but never regretted it. It was 1991 and i was in Montana and we had a frustrating week of hunting from a very early spring and inactive birds. We found one old bird that every day would make his way around this small bluff and over look a meadow for hens. He would camp there all day and he flew to it in the mornings. We did not realize this until the last day and there I was 100 yards watching him strut back and forth in 4 inch high grass. I was at the edge of the tree line and could get no closer. My host leans over and says, I have a 17 in the truck that will bring him off that bluff easy, I'll go get it and you can finish this. I replied, "I would rather go home empty than live with the thought I didn't do it my way". So I waited 20+ years to finish my slam......pay up !

Now all of you know I pretty much kill my gobblers as I can, but getting close is important to me. I've snuck up on them, I've killed them off the wing and I've shot some that just showed up in the wrong spot, but none of them were part of a quest like a grand slam. There's a difference in setting a goal and just plain hunting. when you take a goal hunt you stick within the parameters that give you the personal feeling of accomplishment you aspired for. Now if I was just there for a hunt and to have whatever fun I lucked into, hand me that rifle brother, I'm taking some meat home.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 9th, 2013, 8:45 pm

It''s very interesting to see this thread revived. I am currently in the process of completing an article about "long range" turkey shooting, or at least the encouragement of long range shooting.

After so many years of promoting woodsmanship, clean kills at ethical ranges, it seems that some are promoting shots of 50 yards or more. I'm seldom critical of anyone frankly and respect the right of everyone to express themselves. When however it comes to promoting long range turkey shots, with a shotgun, I have great concern about the message that we are imparting to new hunters.

I plan to have the article completed in the next week or so and will put a link to it here. I'll be interested to hear your reactions.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dewey

Postby dewey » June 9th, 2013, 11:08 pm

allaboutshooting wrote:It''s very interesting to see this thread revived. I am currently in the process of completing an article about "long range" turkey shooting, or at least the encouragement of long range shooting.

I plan to have the article completed in the next week or so and will put a link to it here. I'll be interested to hear your reactions.

Thanks,
Clark

I am looking forward to the article. Thanks in advance for the link.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 10th, 2013, 10:37 am

Here's a link to that article http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=595

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 10th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Good article Clark. I admit i was sucked into the hevi-shot and extended range shell game a few years ago and bought exclusively the pricey shells hoping it would add gobblers to my bag. Mostly my thinking was that I know I am a poor judge of distance and it would help me compensate. That never happened as in the back of my mind I was thinking now I can shoot farther. I doubt it killed me more than a couple extra gobblers, but it sure cost me a lot more for each one I shot. Time after time I ended up shooting birds at 25-35 yards and thinking, boy that was a waste of an expensive shell, when a good old standard 3" magnum would have done just fine. I can think of one bird the extended range shell may have helped me on. It was a bird that stuck his head up over a clump of dirt and just as i was shooting I realized he was dropping his head, but too late I had shot. He flopped a time or two and got air under his wings and was off. I swung through him and dropped him cold out of the air at least 50-55 yards out. I doubt a standard lead shell would have done it. Then I broke the sights off my gun and was putting new ones on and didn't want to blast off a bunch of high priced shells just adjusting my sights, so I purchased some Remington Nitros and started patterning. When I felt the sights were right I shot an extended range load and was aghast that the pattern was far worse than the nitros. I contemplated those facts for a while and decided since 95% of my birds are killed between 25-35 yards why not stay with the Nitros. That was 4 years ago and I have killed every turkey since ( 22 birds) easily and saved approximately $60-$70 in shells. Heck that's like getting a free license for a year or two. As for my range judging problem, I got a range finder and mark out my distances when I set up, if possible. That has made me a better judge of distance too. The last four gobblers I killed were all 15-25 yards...who needs extended range for that. I suppose if you were hunting wide open territory all the time they might be worth the investment, but only for the 40 yard shots. Oh one last thing, when I was doing all that patterning I tried both shell at 50 yards and both patterns were very wide and spotty, but the extended range shells did penetrate my back board further. I don't know if this is a fair test, but I also messed with testing penetration and would mount 1/4 inch plywood to my back rest and up to 30 yards both lead and hybrid alloys penetrated well, after that the hevi shots out penetrated the lead significantly....have you seen that as well or was my testing flawed?
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion