feed

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

RE: feed

Postby Cut N Run » March 13th, 2009, 3:49 pm

We have 3 feeders we fill before and during Deer season, they usually run out of feed in February and we don't put them back in operation until August.  There is a Game Warden who lives just around the corner and also hunts the next property over, so we play by the book.  It is also real handy to have a Game Warden so close as it drastically limits the number of poachers & tresspassers.  He also knows the three of us and where we generally hunt, so if there is a strange vehicle around, it probably belongs to someone who shouldn't be there.  All three of us also have Lifetime Sportsman's Licenses, so after the first time, he hasn't needed to check us again.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » March 13th, 2009, 4:20 pm

I was told by a "Wildlife Officer" that corn piled on the ground in large quantities is not good for turkey. I cant remember the technical term he used, but the best I can remember it tied in with wet fermenting corn. It supposedly did not digest correctly and could cause death. Also disease can spread easier because of the large concentration of food and birds in one small spot. A feeder that spreads a small amount over a large area or a feeder that keeps the corn dry and off the ground is preferred. Around here the corn has to be completely gone for two weeks before hunting the area. That means not one kernal on the ground. We have enough food plots usually to help the game but some of the neighbors feed corn in the winter. We have too in years past, but usually when there was little mast and crop failure due to drought. It has been several years since we had any corn out and that was only from mid-january to 1st of march or so. I always cut the crops open of birds I kill and have determined that mostly the birds are feeding on bugs and green shoots in the spring. I have even seen crawfish (small ones) in crops. Over twenty two years of hunting and have only killed two birds with corn in them. That was on public land and I never did find a corn pile.

alawaddlwhkr13

Postby alawaddlwhkr13 » March 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm

every turkey i kill has a craw full of corn and i dont have any corn on the ground after the 6th.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 15th, 2009, 2:15 am

A.feed to get the turkeys on your land
ORIGINAL: alawaddlwhkr13

quick question if its legal to feed as long as all the feed is gone within 10 days before the season starts would you

A.feed to get the turkeys on your land

Question for all concerned. We have small greenfields and feeders for deer hunting. Also supplement on sandy two-trail roads with 3-way scratch to attract and hold birds. We have a small flock of about 15 hens that use them regularly but the only gob that was on the property (240 acres) was killed a couple of years ago. He was an extremely dominant bird (4-5 yrs. old) Since his demise, no other boys have showed up. We have other leases around us. One has the biggest greenfield I've ever seen in Florida. If there's girls, where are the boys? I know their ranges change from fall to spring, but we aren't even seeing the boys during the regular deer season. Am I wasting my time trying to hold the birds in the area since we seem to have only the fairer sex?

alawaddlwhkr13

Postby alawaddlwhkr13 » March 15th, 2009, 4:59 am

i couldnt understand why you wouldnt  have turkeys .unless someone has feeders on the otherside and shots the mess out of them.
i KILL turkeys

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion