CONFESSIONS OF A TURKEY HUNTER

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

CONFESSIONS OF A TURKEY HUNTER

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2009, 5:17 am

first let it be known that i have not arrived to the place in the sport of turkey hunting where i think i can go out at any given time and call up a turkey. secondly , i don't know a person of such skill that can do that .
there have been a lot of FENCES to either cross or straddle in my progression as a turkey hunter. looonggg range shot squeezers or basic shotgun ? decoys or no decoys? spot and stalk or figure out how to call the bird? hear a yelp or a gobble and take for granted that is the real thing or slow down and think things through and weigh in the possibilies that it just MIGHT be another hunter that is really good with his calls ?
fence straddling is not a very comfortable place to be . i want to be on the side where it is safe , ethical , legal and i will get the most possible satifaction from the hunt BEFORE i squeeze the trigger.

i've made some decisions in my turkey hunting career that some will turn their nose at . i choose to shoot a gun that is barely a 40 yard gun . that decision forces me to be better in other areas . my calling and ability to pick the right spot to setup had to improve in order to make up for some lost distance with the gun. i've killed turkeys with the distraction of decoys in play . i soon learned that i don't like distractions in my turkey hunting . i want that bird looking for the hen that he can't seem to locate by sight.
i stalked and killed a big ol' tom once ,,,'bout as satisfying and pleasurable as a visit to the dentist. and i've made the mistake of convincing myself that the hen or gobbler i heard was a real bird and make my move to only find out i was wrong . since then , whenever i hear a bird i'm not 100% sure of, i'll raise the caution flag and move on to find another bird.that may have cost me a few birds,or the chance to work one,but nothing happened to prevent me from hunting the follwoing morning,,,you know ,,, like getting shot.
my desire to become a better turkey hunter outweighs my desire to squeeze the trigger. i'll not shoot a huge longbeard that somehow let me get too close as i'm walking through the timber.
i AM attempting to teach and train my boys the same mannerisms and tactics of turkey hunting , and hopefully they will teach their children the same ,,,or even more refined .

''old school turkey tactics''

p.s. i realize many of you have read these same things in part , from time to time , and i apologize for the repitition,,,,,i just feel like i need to clear the air from time to time .

JPH

RE: CONFESSIONS OF A TURKEY HUNTER

Postby JPH » March 14th, 2009, 5:52 am

Cool by me.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 14th, 2009, 6:01 am

Mark, I only find one fault with your post.  It is imperative that you change your beliefs.  I believe that I am going to call a gobbler to the gun each and every time I use a caller.  Otherwise, I would cease to use one.  It would be counterproductive to make a call that I didn't believe would be successful.

Of course, you nor I will call in a gobbler everytime we use a caller, but it is imperative that you believe that you will.  The gobbler will pick up on the call if it does not demand his his compliance.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2009, 6:37 am

well, i didn't mean to imply that . each time i hit a call i do so to strike a bird , coyote or crow or whatever i'm pursuing at the time . i don't know what will become of my call until it has been given,,,,therefore i strive to stay ready at all times ,,to be able to read the bird . also i don't know how many times i've hit a call and no bird replied , but came in ,,,i do know of a few ,,, but as to exactly how many , no way of knowing. and i'm glad i can't go out and do everything perfectly each time ,,,season would end too soon.

deja vu

Postby deja vu » March 14th, 2009, 7:17 am

Mark and sil, that is a good general tip for any caller, if you don`t think about what you are trying to say every time you call.... it may not sound right or real to any bird who hears it. Plus a little voice inflection means alot in most any language and I`m sure the same with turkey, like you said, if you don`t believe in it, you may be just squwaking jiberish to the turkey.
"Old School Elitist"

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » March 14th, 2009, 9:22 am

Its confidence in your ability be it calling, scouting, or shooting. It all comes with experience and time practicing and time spent in the woods. Just like the others, I believe that I can call and take a gobbler everytime I step into the woods.  If not, then maybe I should take up golf.
I know it does not happen every time, but I have confidence in my ability. I would not call it bragging either.  Some days, the old gobbler wins and some days he doesn't.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2009, 10:04 am

that's it,,,,,CONFIDENCE,,,,,that's it .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2009, 10:28 am

with the passing of each season , and the experiences accumulated over the last 11 seasons , my confidence has grown dramatically. for example , when i hear some feller running his box call like he was playing a fiddle , i just ease out to a more remote area.
iv'e learned to appreciate the finer points of what some have called the ART of calling . as my confidence grew , my reliance on other so-called tools of the trade deminished. i hone my confidence year round . it is not a spring passtime or just another thing to hunt in the fall. i'll gladly go out of my way to observe and possibly learn a little more about theses birds .
when i was growing up the big game in our part of the country was a fox . and the big bird was a pheasant . the wild turkey was only something to THINK about . and now that i've had a few years in the turkey i can really appreciate the labor of many people that helped to restore the grandest of game .

JPH

Postby JPH » March 14th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Mark, do I read you correctly? You've been turkey hunting for 11 seasons?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 14th, 2009, 3:57 pm

it actually started in the early '70s,,,,,,,but my determination ,addiction ,passion ,obsession began in '98,,,,wish i had all that in the '70s.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion