What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
rsmithpa

RE: What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Postby rsmithpa » February 24th, 2009, 1:33 pm

ORIGINAL: trkynut54

I would have to say patience. When I first started turkey hunting I was always antsy if a turkey wouldn't come in, I couldn't sit still too long, but over the years i've learned to be patient and sit still and wait them out. But the other three definately play a role too. 

I agree the older I get the more patient I got and learned, that the birds when they went silent never really moved that far off.  They can be called back if you have patience and that gobbler is the one you want.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 24th, 2009, 1:37 pm

i haven't always scouted , nor have i always filled a tag . but since i started scouting things have changed quite a bit in my favor . as all have probably suffered through those days when you couldn't get a bird to gobble if you had a truck load of loud hens . i believe that scouting as much of the area that i intend to hunt will give some insight on the local residents and some knowledge of the sweet spots they favor in the big timber.this has helped in the past on those SILENT days as i will tone down my calling and put more time between the calls . and , as you all know, nothing is for certain in this , the finest of hunting sports , the hunting of the WILD turkey , spring or fall.

''old school turkey tactics '' the MOST important thing ,,,is to GO !!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Sam Tater,

Most experienced hunters would classify "Knowing the lay of the land " under Scouting. It is understood that when you scout you are not just observing the turkeys movements and habits, but the habitat itself and the current condition thereof.

This is obviously a priority on new ground. You don't want to watch turkeys from the same side of a field for three mornings without knowing why they want to go the other way. If you've hunted the same land for years, it's still a good idea to give it the onceover. Waterholes dry up, crops rotate, clearcuts and new fences appear, etc.  As you mentioned, topos will only take you so far... for the rest you have to burn a little boot leather.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » February 24th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Experience(40 years), scouting and calling, in that order.

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 24th, 2009, 2:46 pm

The most important element of my success is being versatile. I know many tukey hunters who use the same tactics every day, no matter what, and I know many hunters who adapt to every situation and every individual bird/hunt. Guess who kills more turkeys? 
I have had success based soley on scouting and observed movement, I have had success based soley on calling and decoying. Experience fits in with everything. I have learned from many mistakes. And I am still working on the patience aspect of turkey hunting. One of my goals for the 09 season is to be more patient and stay in setups longer. I will, of course, let you all know how that works come may.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 24th, 2009, 3:24 pm

YEP ALL OF THE ABOVE![;)][;)][;)][;)]
TB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Well put NYSS...Patience does factor into a hunt and probably cost more hunter turkeys than anything, problem is you never will know cuz you didn't stick around to find out.
I had read somewhere when I first began to hunt turkeys to always stay another 15 minutes after your first inkling to leave, I have to say that has helped me more than once.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » February 24th, 2009, 4:12 pm

In the field as much as you can,just hunt,all of the books & dvds and dont forget to TALK to fellow turkey hunters spred the wealth!!!!!!  zipperman

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 4:14 pm

seems like its the longest 15 minutes in the world...when your ready to go your ready to go...i have to fight myself to stay, i'm as impatient as...well as impatient as they come

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 25th, 2009, 3:01 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

seems like its the longest 15 minutes in the world...when your ready to go your ready to go...i have to fight myself to stay, i'm as impatient as...well as impatient as they come

If you lack in patience, make it a point to hunt some smaller parcels of land. I hunt several 10 and 20 acre tracts and have taken some fine birds there. You won't get them if you're waltzing all over the place though. Limitation of property is a great teacher. Then go back to the big woods.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion