What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Jim Spencer

RE: What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Postby Jim Spencer » March 8th, 2009, 11:35 am

FWIW, I don't think they listed the most important element of turkey hunting success, which is...persistence. In my case, anyway. Persistence is different from patience. It's that streak of masochism/optimism that keeps you going back, day after day and defeat after defeat, until something clicks and all the pieces fall into place. That's what kills turkeys for me - not any deep well of expertise, or any great calling ability, or any super-woodsmanship. I don't have any of those. What I do have is a head as hard as a bowling ball and a stubborn streak as wide as a barn door. If I don't get him today, I'll be back after him - or after a different one - tomorrow. And the next day and the next and the next, from the first day to the last, hunting every minute I can beg, borrow or steal. 

Va.ridgerunner

Postby Va.ridgerunner » March 9th, 2009, 5:03 am

I don't see any mention of Confidence.  I think you need to be confident of your abilities.  Shooting, calling, set up, decision making. 

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 9th, 2009, 8:04 am

But knowing when to call and getting "inside his head" a little can really help.

Here's the part where I'm weakest. I've only been following this addiction for about 6-7yrs., got the calling down pretty well, but I'm finding out that "turkey calling" and "working a turkey with your calls" are two separate skills. The latter being the hardest to figure out. Will take all reasonable suggestions.

JPH

Postby JPH » March 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

Well I've been looking for a good place to jump back into the conversation. I guess this is as good a thread as any.

First I think I sould define what I consider "success". To me that means killing gobblers in a manner that is legal, humaine and offers a personaly enriching experience. That does not mean to imply that hunts that do not result in a kill are a failure, it is just that kills are objective markers.

Given the options that were given, I'd have to say "experience" is my most important element. It has taught me that conventional turkey hunting wisdom is often flawed. Turkeys do not play by the rules that were pounded into my head when I was a rookie hunter. Because of my experience, I am no longer afraid of the wild turkey. I have a respect for him that is rooted in real world encounters and not folk lore.

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » March 16th, 2009, 11:10 am

by far....Patience!

vtgobble

Postby vtgobble » March 16th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Without experience I don't believe you can consistantly kill turkeys year in and year out. Even though every turkey is a little different, being able to draw off of previous hunts and mistakes made in the past is crucial to making the right moves in each "chess match". Woodmanship and knowing the land is right there behind experience, but I believe all roads lead back to how much experience one has in the turkey woods.

alawaddlwhkr13

Postby alawaddlwhkr13 » March 16th, 2009, 4:34 pm

experience plays a big role but determination is number 1.
i KILL turkeys

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 17th, 2009, 9:27 am

OPTICS

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion