What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ben Sobieck

What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Postby Ben Sobieck » February 24th, 2009, 10:04 am

Here are the results of the turkeyandturkeyhunting.com home page poll. What are your thoughts?

dmcianfa

RE: What's the most important element of your turkey hunting success?

Postby dmcianfa » February 24th, 2009, 10:27 am

I've always though personally that scouting plays the most important role in success afield.  Experience comes in third; take that mongers, the people have spoke. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:)]
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 10:33 am

i take a turkey on one of our wma's every year....never scout it, i just here them gobble & go to him,set up then talk him into commiting suicide...no scouting needed strictly experience & calling

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 10:51 am

You have hunted it before then?

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

i take a turkey on one of our wma's every year....never scout it, i just here them gobble & go to him,set up then talk him into commiting suicide...no scouting needed strictly experience & calling
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 24th, 2009, 11:26 am

I would have to say patience. When I first started turkey hunting I was always antsy if a turkey wouldn't come in, I couldn't sit still too long, but over the years i've learned to be patient and sit still and wait them out. But the other three definately play a role too. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 12:26 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

You have hunted it before then?

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

never killed 2 birds in the same area, its 14000 acres, i ride a bike up & down the roads till i hear one gobble then i go in & TALK him into commiting suicide,,never go in the woods until its time to kill, no scouting needed...

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 24th, 2009, 1:17 pm

What, no option of "knowing the lay of the land" ?  I'm not sure if it's #1 for me, but it's definetely a biggie.  If I don't know what's beyond that ridge or on the other side of this thick pinestand, I'm at a huge loss.  I feel I really need to know what areas turkeys are likely to come from or travel to.  Topo's show you the elevation and water sources, but they don't tell you where an open field might be or where the pine stand turns into open hardwoods.  If I can't get out there ahead of time and walk it, I at least pull it up on google earth and see what I can make of it.  If nothing else, you can usually make out fields and logging roads that you might not have known existed.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2009, 1:23 pm

I'm not surprised that the overwhelming majority attributed their success to all the factors. I am surprised that calling came in last among those that selected a primary skill for their success.

Of course they're all important as we all know, but it looks like calling is no longer a priority for the contemporary turkey hunter.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 24th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Ben, I would have to say all of these, maybe not in the percentage as surveyed.

To bad dmcianfa, had to have his snide comment.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 24th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Calling and making the right decisions are what kills turkeys for me nothing else matters. Scouting means nothing when the birds change so much from day to day they rarely stay in the same area or roost in the same tree which is the case for where I hunt. There are some areas that usually have birds but thats not a sure thing and you'd find that out with locating gobbling birds anyways.

Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion