Confessions of a Turkey Stalker

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Confessions of a Turkey Stalker

Postby shaman » March 14th, 2009, 1:09 am

Lo and behold, I wake up this morning to find that the fire has burned well into the wee hours and JPH, the original arsonist, has left the scene. I also find my little romp through the pasture last spring has caused me to be be pilloried; I am now the stalking poster boy.

I was trying to make a distinction last night between the perfect legitimate practice of re-positioning and the ill-advised practice of stalking.  In my mind moving to find a better position to call is an advanced skill of the hunter. Moving to find a shot is a dangerous fools errand.  I contend that my encounter last spring was more the former than the latter.    I started the hunt in one copse of trees 2-300 yards distant from the flock and downwind in a +20MPH wind and after an hour of frustration, used the terrain to mask a 200 yard movement to another copse of trees  only 60 yards distant and crosswind to the flock.  I set up, I called, the birds eventually busted me, but it was probably because I was trying to get my shotgun redirected at the moment they broke. I repent nothing. My only regret is that I didn't take the end-around further and try to intercept them on in the woods as they went back towards their roost.

If we were to take this argument for calling-only to its logical extreme, the first moment you hear a gobbler you  would be obligated either by law or ethic to put your arse to the ground and begin to call.  A gobbler at 200 yards distant would have to be called from 200 yards. A gobbler at 500 yards would have to be called at 500 yards.  Closing the distance would be stalking.  Even  PA, where stalking is prohibited by law, does not attempt to claim this.

Closing a reasonable distance is the correct method. If you're in the woods, and you hear a gobbler honor your call you are allowed to move to a safe and strategically advantageous position to effect your calling. When it gets dangerous is when you don't sit down and call at the end of your advance. If you continue on towards the sound of the gobbler and attempt to shoot the turkey without letting the turkey close  on his own you invite failure in the best case and tragedy in the worst case.

Estimating where a turkey may be later in the morning, and moving to intercept him is also perfectly valid.  There are a lot of gobblers in the woods that initially reveal themselves to us at a time and place where they will be hard or impossible to hunt.  Good woodsmanship can help us maneuver to a strategic  encounter.  If I know the gobbler in the bottom is likely to come up the hill and loaf on the point of a nearby finger ridge later in the day, it is perfectly all right to go to that point to begin my call.  If I hear a gobbler coming up the logging road I am on, it is perfectly all right to withdraw into the trees rather than be caught flat-footed out in the road.  None of this is stalking in my book.

Let me repeat:  stalking, that is attempting to close on a gobbler in order to get a shot,  is something I would not advise under any circumstance.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » March 14th, 2009, 3:02 am

Anybody else find it funny or odd that JPH left awhile back after crying that people were elitist then he makes a post like this which he knows darn well is going to cause fights.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 14th, 2009, 4:27 am

There are two things I am certain of. The first is that whatever your stance on the topic, you can't deny that he hit the nail on the head-

> To many of you this is all about calling and any hunt that does not rely solely on your skills as a caller is cheap. That's fine by me. Please continue on in peace my purist brothers. As for me, I will choose to avail myself of every opportunity to interact with and ultimately kill spring gobblers <

The one point that clearly stands out is this is all relative to where you hunt. On Public land certain tactics are foolish and downright dangerous. As has been noted, in some states they are illegal. On large tracts of controlled private land, the number of tactical options available dramatically increase. The vast majority of private land owners and hunters know if there are unauthorized access problems and deal with them, allowing them to safely hunt turkeys as they wish.

It is up to each hunter to decide if his location will allow a safe manuever. It is a personal choice...nothing more, nothing less.

The second thing I am certain of is that the hunter who takes advantage of more tactical options than the call, wait and see approach will always fill more tags. Please hunt safely on either side of the fence.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 14th, 2009, 5:41 am

No, I haven't contacted any moderators yet.  But I am.  If the L***O gets me tossed,
sounds like a threat to me[;)]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 14th, 2009, 5:43 am

ORIGINAL: wisturkeyhunter

Anybody else find it funny or odd that JPH left awhile back after crying that people were elitist then he makes a post like this which he knows darn well is going to cause fights.

maybe he has a purpose behind all this...[;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » March 14th, 2009, 5:46 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Lo and behold, I wake up this morning to find that the fire has burned well into the wee hours and JPH, the original arsonist, has left the scene.

Well if you have to know, I turned off my computer and had a nice evening with my beautiful wife. This morning I slept late, knowing that I wont be able to do that in a month.

I certainly take exception to being called an arsonist (and a few other things along the way). All in all, this thread has done what I hoped it would. It has opened a discussion about the taboo of stalking in the turkey woods. I wish some posters would refrain from being mean spirited, but I cannot control that. In the hope that we may keep this somewhat on track, allow me to further explain my OP.

Stalking
To me this implies how one moves, not the actual destination. I will sometimes use stealth, crawling, crouching and concealment in order to reach the perfect [color="#ff0000"]calling location[/color] (sometimes rather close to a gobbler). I never call or shoot while moving, but I stop and use many positions along the way. This allows me to keep tabs on him and shoot if he chooses to step out for a look. I have once actually gotten a tom into my sights before I actually found his sweet spot. He was in a pasture and I was coming out of a shallow creek bottom on my belly. I whined softly and he put his head up. Was I calling or stalking? I don't really care.

Safety
I will only employ this tactic under narrow circumstances.
1. Only on private, posted, fenced property where I have sole express permission.
2. Only move toward the interior of the property, never toward the boundaries where I am more likely to find a stranger.
3. Only after the sun has fully risen and visibility is good.
4. Always look, listen and think far more than you move.
5. Always use all firearms safety guidelines making an extra effort to identify the target and backdrop because you may have had less time to study it.
6. Remember that there are NO guarantees! If at any time, things do not seem right, quit! Always error on the side of safety.

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » March 14th, 2009, 6:32 am

STALK-  to pursue or approach game, an enemy, etc. stealthily, as from cover, camoflauge, or darkness.

sounds like all of us fit into this category one way or another. But, if you shoot a turkey while "standing" and moving that is the issue, correct?   

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 14th, 2009, 6:37 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

No, I haven't contacted any moderators yet.  But I am.  If the L***O gets me tossed,
sounds like a threat to me[;)]

Oh that.

I thought you meant physical threat.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 14th, 2009, 6:40 am

ORIGINAL: Limbhanger150

STALK-  to pursue or approach game, an enemy, etc. stealthily, as from cover, camoflauge, or darkness.

sounds like all of us fit into this category one way or another. But, if you shoot a turkey while "standing" and moving that is the issue, correct?   

No, the issue is if you can't call a turkey into your lap, and use anything other than beads to kill a turkey, why, you're not really a turkey hunter anyway.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 14th, 2009, 3:32 pm

your not a "real" turkey hunter if you knowingly shoot at birds 70 yards away[:@]...scopes have nothing to do with being "real" or not...calling is just part of the game...no one said you have to be good...a love sick gobbler will come to about any kind of calling when the time is right

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion