The S-word?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
vtgobble

RE: The S-word?

Postby vtgobble » March 16th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Are new products (realistic decoys, long range loads, etc.) making turkey hunting more dangerous?

I am one of the unfortunate ones that lives in a state that allows rifles to be used in the spring. Therefore, myself and other hunters that I know choose not to use a full strut decoy while hunting. I don't know if it would increase the incidents or not if they were used more around this area, but I could not imagine setting up a gobbler decoy at the edge of a field where I hunt, and I am pretty sure I am the only one that has permission to the farms I hunt. To me the full strut decoys pose a major safety hazard to a hunter, but I have never hunted behind one nor do I plan on hunting with one so I wouldn't know for sure.

Newman

Postby Newman » March 16th, 2009, 2:27 pm

JPH,

I'm not disputing that there has been less hunting related deaths than in the past.  What I'm saying is over-all hunting accidents are down.  But, twenty or thirty years ago, if a hunter was peppered with #6 lead shot, it more than likely didn't make the news.  The injured hunter probably cussed or punched out the shooter.  But if you get peppered with #6 Hevi-shot, your going to be more seriously injured.  Therefore, I believe in this case, new technology has probably increased injury per hunting accident.

JPH

Postby JPH » March 16th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Trace, your arguments and right out of the Brady Campaign! It is like saying that a car that can go 100 mph has no place on the highway. Just b/c a gun can shoot long distances does not make inherently bad. Hunters who make poor decisions are the problem. If the goal is to quickly kill our quarry, in the most humane manner possible, then I think a long range cannon, used at close range is a great choice.

vt, I don't blame you for being nervous about a gobbler decoy with rifle hunting going on, but let me ask you something. Are you aware of any cases in which this situation has lead to an accidental rifle shooting in your state? Again, I wonder if our fears are backed up by actual facts. Not that you or I want to be the first one to try it and get shot, I'm just wondering what the history is.

Newman, your point is well taken. Getting hit with hevi-shot would definitely suck! But isn't that the idea? As I ponited out above, we are obligated to make clean kills. That, IMO, makes newer, more powerful loads a good thing.  

Newman

Postby Newman » March 16th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I agree, that's why I shot the Win Xtended range.  We just all need to be aware of where we are hunting, and be mindful of others in the area.

vtgobble

Postby vtgobble » March 16th, 2009, 3:05 pm

I do not know of any stats that link accidental shootings to rifle hunters and full strut decoys. Maybe I am too cautious...I would like to think the hunters around me are just as aware of safety as I am and maybe they are, but I've always felt that the full strut decoys, atleast in our state, were very dangerous with rifle hunting being legal.    

benhanson

Postby benhanson » March 16th, 2009, 3:08 pm

nobody gets shot if you follow safe gun handling skills
"                           " idenify your target as a real turkey
"                           " don't stalk turkey noises
"                           " carry your turkey and dekes in a orange game bag
"                           " don't use decoys or gobble on puplic land

that not from any scientific study it's from common sense.  there is such a thing as defensive turkey hunting and i'm not sure but i don't think anybody goes to the turkey woods to get shot.  it kind of sucks because antis and the press talk about how hunting is bad and isn't safe because people get shot insted of talking about the guys who did all the above things right and had a good hunt.
i'm done now

JPH

Postby JPH » March 16th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Ben, I like the direction you are headed in, but I think your list can be cut down to this:
ORIGINAL: benhanson

nobody gets shot if you follow safe gun handling skills
"                           " idenify your target

If those rules were followed without exception, there would never be another accidental shooting, ever.

The other ideas may be good suggestions, but they do not guarantee safety. I think encouraging hunters to get a physical and exercise 3-5 times a week would save more lives than orange game pouches.

I guess this is what I'm driving at here. A commitment to strict firearms safety, physical fitness and developing a safety plan (cell phone, check in times, etc.) are the ture path to safer turkey hunting.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 16th, 2009, 4:20 pm

JPH maybe you and that Simmons fella could make a turkey hunting physical fitness cd [:D] lol j/k.

The truth is there will always be hunters who shoot before they identify their target, therefore giving them longer shooting range equiptment for turkey hunting should be frowned upon Brady rule or not.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

JPH

Postby JPH » March 16th, 2009, 4:35 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

JPH maybe you and that Simmons fella could make a turkey hunting physical fitness cd ...

Hmmm. Maybe that could be my ticket out.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 16th, 2009, 5:28 pm

This is an interesting post. Without looking at stats I can't really give an informative opinion. But.

[font=arial]Are new products ( realistic decoys, long range loads, etc..) making turkey hunting more dangerous?
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]I think they CAN make it more dangerous. With more realistic decoys and increased use of gobble calls, and shot loads going farther I beleive the formula for disaster is there. But as always it ultimitly falls on the shoulders of the individuale hunter to use these products in a safe manner.
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]Are hunters who use aggressive tactics (run and gun, stalking,and tag-team hunts) causing more shooting accidents?
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]I don't beleive so. In Pa the use of orange while moving during the spring is no l;onger a requirment. According to the PGC a study showed that accidents during the spring season did not decrease with the use of orange while moving through the woods. Accidents in the spring are statisticly very low. But the tactics you mentioned have been used for many years with no change in the amount of accidents. Again. It is dependent upon the individuale hunter.
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]Are turkey hunters leadingto more deaths?
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]If that were the case then I feel the orange restriction in my state would not have been lifted.
[font=arial] 
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]I mean are we serious about helping hunters come home or are we simply trying to keep things from changing? your thoughts?
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]Probably a little bit of both.
[font=arial] 
[font=arial] 
[font=arial] 
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]Many states have stats on the safety records for each season. What might not be an issue in one state might be a real problem in another.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion