And so it begins....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Dank

And so it begins....

Postby Dank » March 16th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Whats going on with everybody? It's been a while since ive been on but i figured with the opening of the season it was time to get back on here and talk some turkey!!! Today was opening day in alabama and i found myself waiting out rain in the truck until about 7. The weather was kind of a downer but i knew a spot where some would be. Sure enough as i snuck in and glassed the edge of the field there was a strutter with 2 hens(also heard two other birds in the area). By the time i got to the edge they had dropped over a terrace out of view, so i set up in a clump of cedar trees. I yelped a couple of times and had been there about 5 minutes when here comes the gobbler running up the hill towards planted pines and just a second after that came the property owners truck checking cows. I thought to myself this could actually be a good thing and hung tight. After about 30 or 40 minutes the hens came out and headed towards the bottom and I took this as a chance to call. I yelped on a mouth call 4 or 5 times when they were out of view and he popped out about 100 yards away in half strut and slowly started working my way. Well 40 minutes later and a different approach than i had expected and he was standing 15 yards from me. Problem was that with this different path by the time he came into range my barrel was clear of the cedar limbs but alas when i tried to lower my head and aim my sights only came up with cedar limbs. So, he hung out there for about 5 minutes before slipping away. So, I waited ten minutes and quickly went the opposite way down a fire lane and made a big loop, i got ahead of him but got greedy and wanted to go up one more bend due to a large mud hole and go figure we met at the head of the bend. He didnt spook bad enough to fly but i went the other way and called it a morning(what a way to start lol). So its that special time of year again and i cant wait for tommorow morning to get here. We've got a much more favorable forecast for the morning and hopefully I'll be on here with either another story or some pics with a little luck. Ahh...its good to be back.

ken ryals

JPH

RE: And so it begins....

Postby JPH » March 16th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Good luck man!

Up here we've got another month before we can do anything but talk about hunting.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 16th, 2009, 4:19 pm

HI DANK
Good luck tomorrow chances are good you will take him sounds like you had a good hunt today keep us posted.
Turkeybuster

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 16th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Hey you could have been scouting in the rain like me lol Good luck out there and be sure to post some photos
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Dank

Postby Dank » March 16th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Tracebusta, youre right about that i guess its better to hunt in the rain than scout in the rain lol.

alawaddlwhkr13

Postby alawaddlwhkr13 » March 16th, 2009, 4:41 pm

i feel for ya dank had to work at 9 so i didnt get a chance to wait out the rain.
i KILL turkeys

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 16th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Dank the leaf suit is the way to go I had birds almost walk on me and never knew I was there also had a 500lb.+ bear walk around me for a half hour he couldn't figure out what I was,bet he had a good story when he got back to the den that night!
TB

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » March 16th, 2009, 5:02 pm

I'm doing good to get 30 hours a week lately the way the company I work for is going - and Fridays are off for everyone as of the last month.  The wife is on me constantly to use Fridays to search for a new job, but I've been getting in so much quality scout time lately.  The lack of bucks sucks, but..........

.........With opening day coming up in a 2 short weeks...........we'll just have to forego eating out as much until after April. [;)]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 16th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Good luck dank, it's another month til we can hunt here in OH, been doing a little scouting.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 17th, 2009, 3:59 am

BRING HIM BACK GOOD LUCK.!!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion