Can You Spot a Jake?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ben Sobieck

Can You Spot a Jake?

Postby Ben Sobieck » April 1st, 2009, 8:56 am

Can You Pick Out a Jake?

It can be tough to tell if the turkey coming to your call is a jake, two year old or gobbler. Between the weeds and the weather, it takes years of experience to train the eye. According to the turkeyandturkeyhunting.com poll, most people have got it.

How do you tell the difference? Thorough research? Time in the field?

mark hay

RE: Can You Spot a Jake?

Postby mark hay » April 1st, 2009, 12:34 pm

both research and time in the field have enabled me to determine the difference .
if he is strutting , i look first at the tail fan.
if he is walking in folded up , i try to judge by body size and also try to profile the beard.
if he is out of sight and gobbling , his gobble will sometimes give away his age , as a jake , though i have seen and heard jakes that sounded like older birds.
in the fall , i look for that pink face , beard , feather color , and size. if it is a fall brood flock ,,,,i'll give out a KEE KEE run gobble . i've seen it make all the jakes gobble and go into fighting.

the time spent in the woods observing flocks ; listening to them ; watching their body language and mannerism really sets the hook on the research in books and magazine articles .

''old school turkey tactics''

camofry

RE: Can You Spot a Jake?

Postby camofry » April 2nd, 2009, 11:14 am

I think it would scare me to see a turkey hunter say they could NOT tell the difference between the two.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion