To recruit ornot to recruit

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eggshell

To recruit ornot to recruit

Postby eggshell » April 2nd, 2009, 6:32 am

I see people posting that they are actively trying to get people involved in turkey hunting (i.e. recruiting). The NWTF has done a lot of recruiting and is responsible for many of the current Turkey hunters today. I do contend they have an ulterior motive for doing so; more enthusiast equals more money. So they have a biased point of view. What I'm asking is, are we over selling the sport?

I read the post on confrontations and I have had my share. I am fully convinced that competition for a limited amount of space is the root cause for these confrontations. The more crowded a room the shorter the tempers scenario. So is actively trying to pull more people into an already crowded room really the best phylosophy? Now I'm all for helping newcomers that have developed an interest and for the youth that are just taking up hunting, but do we need to go get new people that if left alone will probably never take up turkey hunting. For those of you who emphatically say yes, don't grouch when those very people show up in your honey hole. I have found too that many of the recruited members of our sport tend to be the less ethical. So I 'd be interested in your thoughts, if you think I'm a selfish old grump then say, I won't be offended and maybe a new perspective is what I need. I also wonder if the recruiters aren't just trying to find a way to extend their own seasons.

Fire away boys I'm down range,Lol

tracebusta32

RE: To recruit ornot to recruit

Postby tracebusta32 » April 2nd, 2009, 6:52 am

I'm with you to an extent eggshell, I stopped recruiting adults when the ones I recruited ended up in my honey holes...Now as for the kids, I bring as many out per year as possible.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » April 2nd, 2009, 7:11 am

I partially agree as well.

I won't actively go out and recruit older hunters in the sport. Since I hunt mostly a limited amount of public ground, I don't want start putting more and more people on that same piece of ground that I will have to fight with later. But, if somebody tells me they're interested and wants to try it, I won't turn them away either.

And, I agree with trace on the fact that you need to get as many kids out there as possible.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » April 2nd, 2009, 7:20 am

i had an aquaintance stop by the house yesterday while i was cleaning a bird...1st thing he said is when you gonna take me...my reply was,i doubt i do, you wouldn't like it, too many snakes & bugs

but i'd never turn down a youngster

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: To recruit onto to recruit

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 2nd, 2009, 8:00 am

I am not sure that there is a need to recruit turkey hunters. I don't feel you have to recruit them I think anyone that has an interest in the sport seem to either be hooked from there first experience or their not. I think most that take up the sport of turkey hunting become obsessed with it like most of us are. Or they go and find it doesn't appeal to them and either give up and never go back or only hunt half heartedly. I know a guy that decided to go turkey hunting for the first time. He borrowed a old box call and set out one morning, he heard a bird gobble and headed off. He waded across a small creek and climbed to the top of a steep ridge the bird was on. He found a spot to sit and made a few calls and had to shoot the bird in self defense. His brother clams his calling sounded something like someone scratching on the side of a tin can. Anyway he toted his turkey home and never went turkey hunting again claiming it wasn't any fun and there was nothing to it. We all know that most of our turkey hunts don't work out as easy as that one did for him. I have taken my son hunting for different things over the years and he never showed a lot of interest in any of it. Witch was more than OK with me. He was a born fisherman and that is his passion and he is very skilled at it. Myself as a eight year old boy sitting beside his hero (my father) in the predawn darkness one April morning and hearing that gobbler sound off from his roost so close that I could have sworn the leaves shook on the trees. I knew I was hooked at that moment and have never looked back.

I am not a deer hunter it never grabbed a hold of me. I do hunt deer but it is not a passion of mine. I am a meat hunter not a trophy hunter when it comes to deer. I have several friends that there passion is deer hunting some are rifle hunters some are stick and string and others are muzzle loaders and some are all three. I have shot doe's ever since they have had the permits available in Missouri. I love to see the monster racked bucks in the field or in the bed of pickup trucks, but I have no interest in shooting one. I am not a bow hunter being color blind blood trailing becomes a issue for me. When I was younger Quail hunting was a very close second to turkeys but are quail population is so small now do to habitat and predation to me we don't have a huntable number of quail. I took up predator hunting in the mid to late eight's and enjoy that very much to this day. I also love to fish but I would have to say if I could only do one I would have to say it would be hunting the Wild Turkey.

Sorry for all the rambling.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

shaman

Postby shaman » April 2nd, 2009, 11:59 am

I actively recruited for years.  It ended up with more frustration and heartache than it was worth.

1)  Guys who lead you on, and then back out at the last minute
2)  Guys who expect YOU to pay for the license and tags.
3)  Guys who think a trip or two to your place and your turkeys entitles them to a free lifetime pass to your property.
4)  Guys who hunt, are successful, and then walk away bored.
5)  One company president who had me come and tutor him on turkeys and then took my spot on the yearly company hunt after I was laid off.

. . .at some point, I decided to preach to the choir and focus on my own sons. I've been a lot happier since. I've also been running Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries since 2004;  it is for people who want it.  I ain't out preaching on the corner anymore, but if you show up on Sunday, you'll be welcome.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 2nd, 2009, 12:17 pm

i don't run around trying to stir up a spark of interest in people . but , many of the people i have helped to get started i also work with and i reckon my turkey tales and constant turkey talk helped to stir their interest . AND , there is also those fellers [ ain't never had a woman ask me to take 'em turkey hunting ] that will express their desire to go with me . and some of them will never see the sun come up standing by me .
 now i don't think that eggshell is selfish for stating his opinion , but selfish is not in me when it comes to turkey hunting . if i run into you in the woods and strike up a conversation , i'll willingly tell you where i have seen or heard birds . and part of that willingness also gives me an opportunity to hunt the same area behind some of these folks and work a bird they didn't kill . part of the fun of attempting to teach and train is watching theses fellers go through what is sometimes a really violent physical change . they enter the woods in the dark , dressed in the latest camo and sporting the latest in shootin' irons. muscular , youthful and tough men . then we strike a bird and i get to watch them change from robust hunters into quaking and shaking little girls that can barely keep their gun up . it's really neat ! after all , ain't it part of trickin' ol' tom ,,,trying to maintain some physical control of ourselves AND SIT STILL ?
  i'll go on trying to help some fellers , young and old , and also try to learn as i go . like others have said ,,, they ain't my turkeys !

''old school turkey tactics''

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2009, 5:40 pm

I'm all through recruiting adults, just too many who weren't as serious as they portrayed themselves to be. If a guy has to take little Kenny to soccer every Saturday and his wife expects him to sing in the choir every Sunday, I'd rather he tell me that right off the top than string me along. I had a guy that even bought a tag last year by the Feb 1 deadline. I loaned him videos and gave him a couple calls to practice on. I called and emailed him the entire season and he never made it to the field. Spring is a busy time for everyone with yardwork, garage sales and spring cleaning...if you don't have the time just say so. I'm focused on taking kids and hunting with my father now. This will be my grandson's first year.

I've watched my brother-in-law over recruit adults for years for turkey and deer hunting both, and he doesn't even own any property. Invariably the newbies don't have their own ground or equipment and relationships get strained. You get too many people on one farm, the place gets overhunted and then the hunting gets crappy for everyone. Because of the crappy hunting, the new guys don't stick with it and the guys who have put in their time have a less than desirable experience.

Kids are the future of the sport. [;)]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 3rd, 2009, 3:11 am

exceptional reply, everyone. I'm glad to see most of you concur and have had the same experiences. I will reiterate that I will help kids and people who have come to the sport out of their own interest and pursuit. If your going to be out there i want you to be as skilled and educated as possible, after all skilled and informed hunters are generally safe hunters. If you need a  helping hand here's mine, but I wont be found telling someone,"man come on you gotta get into this". Now for the NWTF and there salesmen....hmmmm I think I'll shut up.

shaman

Postby shaman » April 3rd, 2009, 3:45 am

Years ago there was an editorial in one of the outdoor magazines.  The premise was that we weren't going to do any good proselytizing among our co-workers, church members, etc.  Those that were agin hunting were going to stay agin it, and see our efforts as just reconfirming their thoughts.  

I always found that having trophy photos up in my office was a good ice-breaker.  A lot of folks would mention them positively.  Occasionally I found a doofus that would tell me I was a murderer.  I would then mention that if God hadn't wanted us to eat them, then he would not have made them so tasty.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion