Animal encounters while turkey hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

RE: Animal encounters while turkey hunting

Postby trkyklr » April 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

thats funny mark...owls...i was once fishin at wilson lake in florence alabama & i had an old owl that kept tryin to eat my fluke...no matter what direction i threw it he would swoop down & try to grab it...i would real it in real quik & he would turn a mear 3 foot from my face..he was movin some wind..the funny thing is a had my ol boxer with me & he didnt know what to do jump on it or run like hell...wish i'da had a video camera with me.i played with him for about 20 minutes or so then i had to fire up the big motor & leave...dang thing wouldn't let me fish

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 2nd, 2009, 2:13 pm

it is funny NOW,,,,but that night it was awful .
alone ,,,not a house in sight ,,noone knew where i was,,,,only 21years old!

JPH

Postby JPH » April 2nd, 2009, 3:00 pm

Edit: Never mind.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 3rd, 2009, 5:39 am

I have had encounters with all kinds of critters while turkey hunting. Like everyone else coyotes & bobcats have stalked me, one time a pair of Mountain Lions spooked off the Gobbler I was working. I have not had a bear encounter yet although I expect I will at some point and time as there population grows in my area. Had a  mother sunk with three of her children in tow come out of a hollow long I was leaning against. But since the conversation has turned fowl so to speak [:)]. I posted this on another forum so some may have already read it but here it goes anyway. I was easing along the edge of a old grown up field working my way back to the truck. It was getting late in the morning and I was just slipping along hitting a crow every few hundred yards or so. I had made it 3/4 the length of the field when I hear SSSSWWWOOOOOSSSSHHHHH over the top of my head. I look up to see a crow gaining altitude and at about a 100 feet he turns and goes into his dive bomb run again. He pulls up about 5 feet above my as I duck out of the way. He starts his ascent again and starts on his dive bomb run once again at about 50 feet above me he is met with a load of # 5's and crumpled in a heap hitting the ground at my feet. The only thing I could figure is that he was trying to run off a intruder in his area that to one and only time I have ever had a crow act so bold.

These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2009, 11:35 am

i have seen them dive like that on coyotes and house cats .

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 3rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

Most memorable for me was on hte last day of the season about 3 years ago. My buddy and I had set up in a flat area and saw 2 deer jump up and run about 70 yards out as we approuched our position. It was foggy that morning so we could only tell that they were a couple nice bucks but not count points. We sat there for a little bit waiting for the birds to flydown when we saw the 2 deer once again. This time they were headed our way to investigate us. The one with the bigger rack of the two was hanging back as the other crept towards us. This deer came right up to us! So close I could have smacked him with my hand. It kept bobing his head around tryin to figure us out. It was a nice 6 point in velvet. Finnaly I waved my hand and he took off about 30 yards then turned around and came back! This time he got closer and was almost sniffing my face. We both were in awe. never seen something like this. At this time we could hear the birds starting to come down from the roost. We knew we had to get rid of this deer before he spooked the birds. So i said " Get outta here" He just looked at me. Finally i started to get up and he took of. LOL! Starngest encounter I ever had in the woods. My Dad ended up getting that same deer the following deer season. By then it was a nice 8 point with thick high tines. Small world.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 3rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

I've had a couple of very memorable animal encounters while turkey hunting. Probably the most memorable was when I was using a brand new jake deke for the first time, and a coyote came in and grabbed it by the neck. What I learned was that coyotes can absorb lots of lead, but I gave this one a little more than it could absorb. The deke still has four punctures in it from the 'yote's canine teeth.

UI've had a couple of close encounters with black bears while turkey hunting. I called in a BIG black bear once, as big as a couch. It came right to me -- about 12 feet away before it turned broadside and then swung its head to look at me again. After a staredown, it ambled back down the hill. Another time I had a black bear within 5 feet of me. It came in from my right and stopped right at the end of my gun barrel. When he turned his head we made eye contact, and he was gone in a flash. As fast as that bear ran, I know you'll never outrun a bear.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 4th, 2009, 2:32 am

Welcome to the T & TH forum, Steve!

I checked out your website, some very cool stuff there. I especially like the article about magazines in the Doctor's office. Post often.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 4th, 2009, 3:28 am

At first light I located a bird and was working him up to me.  I could see the bird coming but something else caught my eye to the right.  Here comes this skunk moving in on me.  I'm working this bird that I can see and I have a skunk moving in on me as well.  The skunk got to my boots and I'm thinking, " man, how is this going to play out! "  I was praying, "Don't spray please!"  Well the turkey moved off and the skunk moved out also.  So it all worked out.  I did'nt get the bird, but I went home smelling good!!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 4th, 2009, 5:08 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Welcome to the T & TH forum, Steve!

I checked out your website, some very cool stuff there. I especially like the article about magazines in the Doctor's office. Post often.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I might be the only outdoor writer who could go to the gynecologist's office with his wife and get an idea for an article. The doctor really liked it, and so did lots of others -- even my wife! A couple of magazines that were named in the article are considering picking it up. It's probably one of my best from last year.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion