Animal encounters while turkey hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Animal encounters while turkey hunting

Postby Cut N Run » April 1st, 2009, 5:48 pm

I got to thinking about a gang of deer that passed just up-wind of me while turkey hunting a few years ago.  I only saw jakes and hens that day, but I remember how it caused my pulse to rise as the deer approached my position.  I've also seen groundhogs, coyotes, squirrels (duh), and even had a hawk swoop down to chase after a chipmunk pretty close.  I've heard about bobcats attacking a hunter making turkey calls, but I've never seen a fox while hunting turkeys.  They could circle downwind, then vanish once they catch my scent.

I was wondering if anybody here has had any animals come to investigate them, or just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see nature in action? Just curious.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

trkyklr

RE: Animal encounters while turkey hunting

Postby trkyklr » April 1st, 2009, 5:54 pm

i see deer just about every trip into the woods around here..i shot a yote at 17 steps last saturday while turkey hunting..have seen several foxes & bobcats thru out the years(i don't shoot them)... i think it comes with your time in the woods..the more time one spends the more one sees...

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 1st, 2009, 6:01 pm

Probably the most memorable animal encounters while I was turkey hunting was the time I saw a Florida panther slipping through the woods about 100 yards away. Another time I had a bobcat stalk my dekes, and go by my blind at about 20 feet, then change his mind and slink away on the same path.  Once I had some cows graze into my decoy set up, and one of them picked a decoy right off it's stake and started walking away with it.  I had to chase the cow down, yelling and screaming before it dropped my deke and ran away. [:D]
I've also seen in close proximity, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, deer, hogs, otters, racoons, snakes, owls, hawks, bald eagles, osprey, tweety birds, armadillos, alligators, squirrels, rabbits, dogs, and a white chicken that hung out with a bunch of hen turkeys.  Florida is a critter filled place to hunt.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

shaman

Postby shaman » April 2nd, 2009, 1:06 am

I had a coyote come in on me last year. She made two runs at my decoys. The first one was just after I sat down, and I wasn't ready. On the second pass, I was ready. I have her skull drying in the back room.

One of the funniest encounters I had was years ago with a guide in Ohio.  He'd brought along one of these electronic dekes that would dip when you pressed the button on the remote.  We're out in the early stages of working a gobbler, and 4 doe came up and started to investigate the deke.  The guide hit the button, and you should have seen these deer. They looked like dogs trying to sniff out a strange animal that might bite back.  It was a hoot.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2009, 4:30 am

A number of animal encounters come to mind. If you hunt long enough you're going to collect a few.

*On the Missouri lease, which is also a working cattle farm, the 100 or so cows rove from pasture to pasture, usually staying in a group for the most part. The year before Ron went to Iraq, I really wanted to help him get a turkey. We were in the back pasture (which I have posted about in the "Honey Hole" thread) set up in a very large woodpile with a couple hen dekes out. We had a gobbler answering across the fence on the adjoining property. Unfortunately, the cows saw our approach, crossed the creek and surrounded our position. We were hissing at them to go away and tossing sticks but the mature cows were undeterred and just stared at us from ten yards away. The woodpile was surrounded by at least half the herd, 40 to 50 cows. Suddenly a couple calves broke through the crowd and started sniffing the decoys. One calf started licking a deke and when it applied too much pressure the decoy stake pushed up through the back of the soft foam decoy. When that happened, the calf started scratching the bottom of his chin on the top of the hard plastic stake and slobbering all over the decoy with his eyes closed. We had already been trying to contain ourselves, but at the sight of that we both burst out laughing.

* My brother in law and I were hunting the WMA in Missouri in the early years. We were slipping down a two track at mid-day when we heard turkeys scratching just down over and embankment. The was a large stump beside the trail so we set up on opposite sides so we could cover both directions of the old road. I had just started to call when I heard a thrashing noise in the leaves behind me followed by the sound of running boot soles clomping down the road. I looked around the stump and saw a large 4 ft long black snake emerging and slithering through the leaves. I didn't stick around very long either. Chris said he felt it on the back of his thigh before looking down. We still talk about that one.

* Dad and I were hunting Michigan about 10 years ago with a similar setup. He was sitting on the field side of a large oak with our entire flock of decoys in front of him, 5 or 6 in all. I was watching the woods as he had been busted a couple days before by turkeys from the backside as the edge was quite thick. Suddenly I heard a commotion in the field followed by a shotgun blast. Dad said a single coyote circled the decoy spread out in the field. He had his gun up and was ready to shoot when two more 'yotes catapulted from the brush at the field edge and attacked the dekes. They were working in a pack and the first dog was a diversion. In all of the excitement he missed. I still have that old foam hen deke with teeth marks in it in my garage for a conversation piece.

* About 5 years ago I had a large female coyote come in to my calling and fix on my decoy in Missouri. She never saw me. That one didn't get away and received a face full of Federal # 4s for her efforts.

* Also many years ago in Missouri, I set up for fly down one morning in a shallow drainage ditch overlooking a pasture finger. I had gobbling birds just across the creek, maybe 60 yards away. Just after daylight as I was anticipating flydown, I heard some rustling in the brush behind me. I slowly peered around the tree and was face to face with a skunk not 3 feet away! I'm sure I hadn't moved that fast since I was a teenager. I burst out from under the tree and all hell broke loose as flushing turkeys filled the air. I still don't know who was scared more... me, the skunk or the turkeys. Thankfully the skunk didn't spray and scurried off to go about his business.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 2nd, 2009, 4:38 am

The only animals I encountered turkey hunting are bears, except for a couple of Barred Owls last year. I was greeted every morning right at the same time with the who-cooks-for-you, calling back and forth to each other. I thought that was pretty cool. As for the bears i've seen them before daylight when I was walking up the mountain. I could tell it was a bear by the way his eyes were moving in the light. I would just stand there and he would amble on.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

JPH

Postby JPH » April 2nd, 2009, 5:30 am

Probably my most memorable was when I was walking through a clearing before sunrise. I saw what I thought was a white plastic bag, caught on some brush and blowing in the wind. I walked over to pick it up and was about three feet away when I realized that it was actually the raised tail of a skunk!

I ran like a frightened little girl.

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 2nd, 2009, 6:08 am

I have encountered many deer,coons, owls, birds, redheaded woodpeckers, too many humans..... and once in a while I actually encounter a turkey!!!!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 2nd, 2009, 1:07 pm

first let me say that i am not really concerned about snakes . i avoid the likely places they would be on cool spring mornings .
so one morning i'm set up on a bird i can see on the roost . he was strutting and gobbling good . finally he pitches down and out of sight . my gun is trained on where i expect him to appear . but after he hit the ground he went silent. i'm sitting there straining my walnut trying to figure him out and know how to react. by now my left leg is aching like a bad tooth . then i heard it . it was off to my left . now let me just admit that i still have trouble holding my head still when i hear something . i just naturally turn my head and spook turkeys. well this morning i was on top of things and held my posture like an old corner post . then i realized that what i was hearing was way too close to be a turkey . there were no foot steps . it was just a continuous faint , slow rustle of the dry leaf litter . MY MIND RACED ! COPPERHEAD!!,,,i thought . i jerked my head around to see the finest speciman of box turtle . well you and i both know how short a span of time it takes to get all worked up don't we ? so i relaxed and shifted my aching leg on the leafy ground . GOBBLE GOBBLE !!! I NEARLY WENT AIRBORN. shouldered the gun and he jumped up on a bank , gobbled and jumped back down out of sight .WHAT THE???

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 2nd, 2009, 1:25 pm

back in the late seventies, the big thing around clinton county ohio was fox hunting at night. AND, it was also common practice to hit a remote township road , stop the truck , and call from the inside of the cab. well i stopped one night ,,,shut her off ,,,stuck my .243  muzzle out the window ,,,secured my red light in my hand and proceeded to beat up a rabbit on a mouthcall.
 it was heavy overcast that night and the street lights of the closest town illuminated the western horizon . i just happen to have the red light off and was looking in the direction of town when here comes this owl, right toward my head , which was inside the cab . instantly i threw up my left arm and turned my face away from the owl . whew ! that was close ! i quickly rolled up the window and lit a smoke . sat there thinking a bout the ordeal and owls in general . so i concluded that owls see very well at night and he was attracted by my rabbit but SURELY saw my movement and would not try that again .
 so i cranked the window down , poked my rifle out a little , grabbed the red light and hit the call. DIDN'T FINISH THE FIRST SERIES OF THE RABBIT BLUES WHEN GUESS WHO SHOWED UP ? i repeated the former INSTANT  reflex , withdrew the rifle , rolled up the window AND DEPARTED !!

my apologies for not stickin' with the tread subject of turkeys ,,,but sometimes when my walnut is workin' it's time to tell it .  thanks

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion