Confrontations in the Turkey Woods!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Magnumdood

RE: Confrontations in the Turkey Woods!!

Postby Magnumdood » March 30th, 2009, 7:07 pm

ORIGINAL: RutnNStrutn

[size=100]When on public land, I go to great extremes where possible to get away from the "Wally's".
[/size]

Who are "Wally's?"
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

sailfish

Postby sailfish » March 31st, 2009, 5:16 am

I read that a couple times too. Wondering what it means. (not negative or anything, i'd like to know the history of the word, heck I might even get to use it )

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 31st, 2009, 9:46 am

Mine goes like this!

I have hunted for the most part of my life. And I know they area I hunt in very well and where the game tend to hang out. The first year i got into Spring turkey hunting was kinda by accident. My hunting buddy and I had started to spend as much time hunting as we could, (probably to get away from the wives, LOL) So it was the first day of spring turkey and we figured we would hit the woods. We went across from my Dads place into thw woods on a peice of ground owned by their neighbor. Aside from a handful of people the owner would alow to hunt there we were the only ones who had regular access to this area. My buddy hit a box call and a gobbler roared back. I was in love with turkey hunting at that moment! We went up the hill torward the bird. Fired him up a couple more times on the way. We went to a tree stand on the top of the property and hit the box again. The bird was heading our way. Then, He took off. We were confused. then we saw why. Two hunters in full camo got up about 150 yeards away and headed in our direction. We got out of the tree stand and waited. The guys walked over and looked at my buddy and asked who he was. He told him his name and the one guy was on his cell with the property owner before I could say a word. The property owner knew my buddy by his nick name so he did no recognize the name they gave and was on his way over. when the guy got off the phone and asked my name I told him and all the color left his face. The property owner had told the guys that if they saw me hunting up there that thay had to move elsewhere cause I help take care of the property. The owner got there and saw us and just looked a t the guys. Now. i felt bad for screwing up there hunt. But by now they had a bit of an attitude about us. I told the guys we would goelsewhere to hunt so not to disturb them. The guys were not familier with the area and I told them that I knew the turkey usually would travel the one end of the property. They got a smart a$$ look to them and said they were going to the other end. The owner looked at them and told them " These guys hunt here all the time and know where the game are, you might want to listen to them!" But they chose to go to the area they had said. Now here we are with game jakets with orange on them, blue jeans, and only one call between the two of us. These guys looked like they stepped out of a hunting video. I felt like I did niot even belong in the woods! So we went our seperate ways. About 20 minutes later I had my first turkey! A 19 lb. tom with a 6 inch beard. Got him right where I told the other guys to go. The property owner stopoped at my Dads as I was showing Dad the bird I got. He laughed and said "Well, I guess those guys should have listend to ya". After that I ended up getting videos and camo and everything else I could for turkey hunting learning what I could. The property owner told those guys about me getting the turkey right where I told them to go and they got a little disgusted about it. LOL!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 1st, 2009, 5:13 am

> Who are "Wally's?" <

Terms can vary greatly by region, but I'm going to speculate that its short for "Wal Mart" hunters, who gear up there and are largely inexperienced weekend warriors that blunder about the woods near the car park.

Before anyone protests, I buy gear at Wal Mart too, it isn't a slam at them. Up here everyone calls Wal Mart "Wally World", so it just seems like a natural fit.

Maybe Strut will clarify for the inquiring minds that want to know.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 1st, 2009, 12:59 pm

Wally is a term my buddies and I have used for years to describe idiots who pull bonehead stunts in the woods, and show a general lack of hunting education, etiquette and sportsmanship.  At the end of the season, we compare stories, and the biggest moron we ran into in the woods that year gets dubbed "King Wally". [:D]
Has nothing to do with Walmart.  Heck, I've been known to buy turkey stuff at Walmart too!! 
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 2nd, 2009, 6:38 am

I have permission to hunt about 80 acres of prime turkey hunting land that is owned by a family member. It was technically posted but the signs were few and far between so many people hunted it. My uncle (the landowner) told me I had it all to myself. And there are ALOT of birds on this land. The first 2 years I never hit the woods without an encounter with another hunter. At the time I was only 19-20 years old. so I kept my mouth shut for the most part. After the second year I decided that It was getting dangerous so I started to get the word around town that the landowner was not happy about others hunting on his land. After that and some new posted signs I havent had any problems. I hunt all private land so there cant be much arguing against me. people tend to get tunnell vision when a bird is gobbling so its important to be on your toes no matter where you are hunting.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am

ORIGINAL: RutnNStrutn

Wally is a term my buddies and I have used for years to describe idiots who pull bonehead stunts in the woods, and show a general lack of hunting education, etiquette and sportsmanship. 

> I'm going to speculate that it's hunters..... that are largely inexperienced weekend warriors that blunder about the woods near the car park. <

Even though it had nothing to do with WM, I was still pretty close! [;)]

My first suggestion to anyone having trouble with encroachers on private land is to repost it. Especially if you have just acquired the rights to hunt there. People tend to take advantage of a situation if no one has formally hunted there recently or they got permission ten years ago. Nothing like a fresh batch of brightly colored signs to alert them that the situation has changed.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » April 3rd, 2009, 7:20 am

i got a buddy thats had 2 confrontations this morning..both times he was working a bird & the other hunters came stalking in on his set up...ahhh the joys of public land..Image

..one of them is supposed to be the local turkey guru that owns a big call company i won't say any names....he refused to talk to my buddy & ran the other wayImage

the other guy came over the hill on him...my bud stood up & said ain't that the joy of hunting public land...the ol' guy replied "yeah i thought i heard somebody workin that bird"...then why did he came stalkin in anyway..[:@]

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 4th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I haven't had that problem yet 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » April 4th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I agree, a new updated set of posted signs works wonders. That is if they can read. I post the farmers property for him and it deters encroachment. 2 years ago I posted up other property they have. In the past during deer season, there would be 5-6 cars parked there, now there are none.
  Every year, the property lines are walked, every poster is refreshed with the owners name and ones that need to be replaced, get replaced. Thsi way outsiders can see they are being taken care of, not assuming they're old posted signs. 3 hours of hiking saves grief keeping them updated.
active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion