Confrontations in the Turkey Woods!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
SpitnDrum

Confrontations in the Turkey Woods!!

Postby SpitnDrum » March 30th, 2009, 8:54 am

Confrontations do happen probably more often than we realize in the turkey woods.I'm not talking about a struggle with ole Tom,but man to man.The reason Im bringing this up is from several seasons ago I ran into this situation while gobbler hunting one morning. Just curoius to know if its happend to anyone else and how you handled the situation.

I was on a good sized track of Public land (Daniel Boone National Forest).I ran into these guys just before daylight,talked to em and came to the conclusion that we would be three or four hollows apart(a good couple 1000 yrds).No biggie to me I had roosted a Tom the evening before and had mentioned the section he was roosted to the gentlemen.They where in compliance they would go there way and I was off to my honey hole.I hit the ridge top just at daybreak and the ole gob was sounding on the limb just as expected.With probably close to an hour pass he hit the ground about 100 yrds in front of me with a few hens in tow leading one ridge over closer to the gentlemen I spoke with prior that morning.I eased onto that ridge and started working the bird.I got to see him twice doing his dance just outa range.Suddenly he spooked flew up and gone.Very soon I seen the reason why.I looked to my left and these gentlman where barreling up the hill.We reached Eye to Eye and they stated I had invaded there privacy that morning.Things got a little ragged after that not mentioning any details but no blows where landed and we all walked away with our pride intacked.

I have thought about this every season since.I'm guessing these fellas got turned around and wondered to far my way or was just wanting that ole Tom all to themselves.If I could have just walked away I would have but they wouldn't let me do it.I love to turkey hunt and I like to see every one thats intereted in chasing Toms fill thier tags.With so many turkeys out there now thanks to great conservation work.Why would any one person get so tore up over one lone Tom and some Hens.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Confrontations in the Turkey Woods!!

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 30th, 2009, 9:43 am

I have not personally had any verbal confrontations with other hunters in the woods. I have on two occasions had hunters between me and a bird I was trying to call and they have shot or at least shot at that bird. I am not sure if the hunter had been there before I got into my calling location or if they slipped between us after I had sat down. Either way I had no idea of there presents in the area or from what direction they had came until after I heard the report of their gun. One other occasion I had went to a bird gobbling hard on the roost. I had just sat down and was getting ready when I heard the bird putt about three times and take wing and then the blast of a shotgun was heard. In all three of these instances I just backed out the way that I had came in. These where all on public lands and public birds the had as much right to them as I. I try to give folks a wide birth when hunting on public ground If someone beats me to a certain spot I just go on down the road to the next one.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

JPH

Postby JPH » March 30th, 2009, 10:45 am

I have only had two such confontations in my life. Both took place on private property and the dispute was as to who had rightful permission to be there.

Whenever armed people run into contact with one another and tempers flare, it is ALWAYS best to walk away.

On one of the above cases, I left and found out I was in the wrong. The section of land I was hunting had changed hands and the person who gave me permission did not tell me that. In the second case, I was in the right but it was not worth anyone getting hurt over.

Thank God for cell phones. A little distance and a call to the landowner, game warden or sheriff's dept. are the best answer to theses problems.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 30th, 2009, 11:05 am

I never got into a confrontation like that. On public land I'm usually the first one to get up and go looking for a new spot when there's an encroachment.  I've hunted Dan'l Boone (Beaver Creek) and all through the BSF.

I've had nothing but nice encounters on public land when it's been about talking. The problem is that the majority of encounters I've had on public lands while turkey hunting. . . Well, I didn't know anyone was there until the shot.  Yikes!  If this happens to you, make sure you settle down before talking to the guy, or maybe just leave without saying anything.  You probably need to change your shorts anyway, and whatever was going to be said wasn't going to be charitable either way.

My advice to anyone on public land is this:  Everybody is armed. Everybody needs to be polite.  If the other guy isn't, it is all the more reason for you to be. Back off and go somewhere else. Show your palms. Keep your eye level below theirs.  Be calm and be calming.  If the other party gets too randy, call 911 as soon as you're safe and have them arrested for assault, menacing, or whatever they did.  Telling you to leave is one thing. When they get into your space, undo their safeties or show you their gun butts, they need to go have a time out at the state's expense.

On the other hand, I'm quite confrontational when it comes to my own property.  It's posted.  Folks know it's posted.  If you come over the fence, you and I both know you meant to do it. If you say your lost, I'll let you run back over the line, but it had better be a straight line, you'd better be quick about it and you better not get lost again. The county dispatcher and the CO both know me on a first name basis, and the sign out front says it all:

"Trespassers will be tormented to the fullest enjoyment of the landowner before being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

On private land:   If you're a trespasser and you get caught, you get whatever is coming to you. Be  extremely nice and try your best to negotiate your way out without the authorities being called. You both know what you did; do not insult his intelligence.  The landowner hold all the cards. Do NOT, hassle the landowner on his own property. Treat him as you would a vengeful god. Otherwise you could end up in a shallow grave.  I've gotten hassled on my own land a couple of times.  In one case, I told the guys they had 10 minutes to make up their mind  what they were going to do, but I was going up and locking the gate and calling the sheriff. They were gone in under 5.  In another I went over to offer some friendly advice to a  lost soul, and  I had a gun barrel pointed at me.  I got the guy into a conversation until he lost focus and turned the barrel away. When he looked back, he was staring at my gun barrel. I'm not sure what that guy was thinking, but he sure knew what I was thinking when he looked back. I had a good ten minutes with that barrel pointing at me; I repent none of my response. My only words when he looked back were "Do you know your way outta here or do you need help?" He didn't need help.

If you're on private land by permission and it ain't yours, treat it as public, but you first call should be to the landowner if there is trouble. If you're hunting my property, I want to know about it first. I'll work something out. I know the sheriff, an ADA, the CO, the dispatcher -- and the coroner.    Be extremely careful if you're not family and you tussle with the kin of the landowner.  You're probably going to lose, and you probably don't want to hunt there anyway.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 30th, 2009, 11:17 am

when you hunt public land you will have guys move in on you when that happens i move and hunt some where else.i figure their not much of a turkey hunter any way.

dewey

Postby dewey » March 30th, 2009, 11:22 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Whenever armed people run into contact with one another and tempers flare, it is ALWAYS best to walk away.

Well said, i have not had a problem turkey hunting but I have had a problem deer hunting, I tried to stay as calm as possible while talking to the guy that was on the land I had permission to hunt.  The last thing you need is to have one person get a little too excited especially when guns are involved.  The most important thing is that we all have families that at the end of the day we want to get back them more than we would like to tag a deer/turkey.

JPH

Postby JPH » March 30th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Of my two examples, one was from deer hunting and the other was over fishing a farm pond. I've never had a dispute while turkey hunting. Hopefully I never will.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 30th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Never had a problem turkey hunting, but had rounds fired over our heads while 4 beagles were burning up a rabbit.  These guys pulled off at a parking area and just started shooting their handguns.  When we got their attention they finally stopped.  While my brother gave them what fer I took the license plate number.  I had a young man shoot a rabbit in front of our dogs.  He apoligized when I showed up to leash the hounds.  It was his mistake and he admitted it as the rabbit was way out in front.
In Indiana there is a problem with crack cookers and pot growers on public ground.  best thing to do is mark the location move on and call the law.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » March 30th, 2009, 5:06 pm

When on public land, I go to great extremes where possible to get away from the "Wally's".  Thus, I have had relatively few problems, especially when turkey hunting.  Deer hunting is a little harder because there are more guys doing it.  I almost had my opening day hunt here in Florida ruined because of a couple of inconsiderate idiots, but I managed to get the bird.
If someone is working the bird, I'd prefer to go find a new bird than to have a confrontation.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 30th, 2009, 5:11 pm

i called in a mississippi feller today myself...& an old dude wearin a blue denim outfit & a turkey vest...sad to say he was in his home state[:@]

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion