KY youth hunt

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
zipperman351

KY youth hunt

Postby zipperman351 » April 1st, 2009, 3:32 pm

Devan hunts sat,sunday never seen a turkey in wild,well put them to bed and be there when they wake up...zipperman

turkeylimb

RE: KY youth hunt

Postby turkeylimb » April 1st, 2009, 3:40 pm

go get'em good luck.!

shaman

Postby shaman » April 1st, 2009, 4:29 pm

Same  here.  I've got Angus out for the rest of the week, getting ready for the Yute Opener.

We watched a gob go to bed tonight.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 2nd, 2009, 4:39 am

Good luck to all youth hunters
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

shaman

Postby shaman » April 2nd, 2009, 5:04 am

Angus and I went out this morning and got on a high place and scouted.  At one point we were surrounded by hens and managed to see a few through the binos.

Angus came in yesterday and said he'd seen buck fighting near one of the food plots, so we went over to investigate. On the way, we got ambushed by mixed flock.  I saw one fan peaking up over the weeds. We went down  and lay flat.  We would have gotten away with it, but a hen came over and got between us and then had a major apoplexy when she figured out the situation.   Oh well.

One thing is for sure, I'm meeting up with a lot more turkeys this year than in all previous years.  There are turkeys where I'd never expect them.  Things are looking good for the opener.
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 2nd, 2009, 12:26 pm

i hope all you fellers and the young people your taking have splendid weather and the finest of turkey hunting experiences .

''old school turkey tactics''

shaman

Postby shaman » April 3rd, 2009, 7:44 am

Well, this morning was a complete washout.  I let the sprout sleep in, and I went out and tested my rain suit and drank my coffee. 

Mark: that was a heck of a storm that came through yesterday.  KYHillChick had just arrived, when we watched Mt. Olivet get hit.  She was happy she was off the road.  We had   5 minutes of rain as it skirted about half a mile to our East and then started heading for you.  Dark clouds, a wall cloud and  a serious inrush of wind as the storm kept building as it passed.  Lots of lightning too.

Today is going to be a good day to stay in-- rain with a wind advisory.  I think they have small car warnings up on the AA highway. It's supposed to break around sunset and tomorrow, the Opener, is looking good.
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2009, 10:50 am

well i am glad you all survived . hope the turkeys faired as well .
 we didn't get any storm at all. just a lot of rain . head waters of brush creek are just over the hill . she was still running strong 20 minutes ago .
they say Saturday will be great .
 wishin' ya the best of hunts.

''old school turkey tactics''

shaman

Postby shaman » April 3rd, 2009, 4:01 pm

We went out to find a roosted gobbler-- spent 3 hours listening.  Nada.

Oh well.  I've got some honey holes they go to when there's a cold snap.  We'll show up there and call aggressively in the morning. When the gobs warm up, they'll come running.  I promised Angus he'd have a gobbler dancing on the end of his barrel before noon.  He's got a gig tomorrow night back in town and he's got to be back in Cincinnati by 4 PM.  It's a tough order, but he's still certain Dad will come through.

I'm kinda hoping Dad comes through too.  I've also promised him, I cart his little buns back out to hunt Sunday morning if need be.
ImageImage

shaman

Postby shaman » April 5th, 2009, 7:25 am

Angus and I went this morning for Day 2 of the KY Yute Season.  Angus was armed with his 20 GA Mossberg bolt action.  He was shooting Federal #4's.

We spent another morning like Saturday, with a bunch of half-hearted gobblers barely paying us any mind before fading off.  Like Saturday, we packed up around 0900 and moved to another part of the farm, with the intention of looking for gobblers that might be starting to heat up.  We tried a few spots, nothing paid off and the sun was getting high enough that a mid-morning nap seemed to be in order.  We  headed off to Gobbler's Knob.

On the far side of Gobbler's Knob is a rock pile around which I've been piling cedar boughs for about 5 years.  Every year I add a little bit to the pile and every year nature takes its toll.  The cedar wood is pretty resilient.  However, the needles fall off after a couple years. 

One year, I ended up at the rock pile well after flydown and decided to take a nap and await the arrivial of the late-morning entourage of hens and gobblers that give Gobbler's Knob its name. After falling asleep against the rocks, I was awakened with a loud "Cluck!"  I was directly behind me, so I arched my back and tilted my head straight back.  There was a hen, standing directly on top of me, looking down.

"Well, CLUCK!" I snarled, using my best Elvis impersonation, soaked in sarcasm.

The hen bought it and moved off.  That was years ago.

Angus and I camped out at the same rock pile this morning.  I had my backs on the rocks.  Angus had his up against a cedar tree.  I made a few calls.  Angus made a few calls.  We then settled in.  I brought along a book, read a chapter, and then dozed off.

"Cluck."

I awoke.  There was a hen moving around less than 30 yards from us.  I couldn't pick her up, but I could sure hear her.  I was hunkered down behind the cedar boughs.  Angus was up.  I was pinned down, if I did anything substantial like sit up or go for my calls, we would get busted.  I had laid my Quaker Boy Easy Yelper push-pull call out, and that I could grab without any notice.  I went to work with that, one handed, clucking and purring.  Angus had a mouth call in.  He clucked and purred as well.  Eventually the hen got hinky and started to putt.  I laid on an aggressive purr, and that seemed to quieter down.  At first, only the hen came into view.  However, as the minutes wore on, we found she was being followed by 3 jakes.  When it looked like Angus had an opportunity, I told him to turnd and take a shot. While all this had been going on ,  Angus had been able to flop onto his stomach.  Using the rock pile he pulled himself up to a semi-kneel, and started to angle for the best shot.  One of the three jakes presented himself.

"Fire in the hole." he whispered. I heard the safety go off.  There was a jake with his head up at about 10 yards.

"BLAM!"  turkeys went everywhere.  Two got airborne and flew clear off the knob.  The hen went down the hill and hid in the cedars.  The last time I saw the gobbler Angus had shot at, he was running across the top of the hill at high speed.
The problem with tight chokes is that you are firing a bullet for that first 10 yards or so.  In Angus' case, the jake jinked just as he lit up the load.  The sun was still low enough I could see the wad sailing just over the gob's neck. The shot string was about the size of a golfball.  That and the surprise expression on that gob's face was about all I could see between the cedar debris--  A perfect view of a perfect miss on a perfect morning.

"I certainly counted coup on that gobbler," said Angus. "That's about as good as I could ask for."

"That's about as good as it gets. " I said.  We took our time packing up.  The hen was still putting furiously as we walked off the hill and went home.
ImageImage

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion