Saturday's 2nd Youth Day Hunt

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

Saturday's 2nd Youth Day Hunt

Postby tracebusta32 » April 6th, 2009, 6:21 am

So since our first hunt was a success and it was only 8:30 a.m  we drove to the nearest store about 15 miles away and had a little snack and waited for Devin's mother to meet us there to take him out for awhile.

We got back in the woods around 10 a.m and got set up where we had heard some gobbles as we had left the first time.
I called for ahile and only got into some hen fights, so after a couple hours of no luck we decided to move out setup.

My brother then decided he had enough and wanted to bail on me, so I took him home and cleaned the first bird then the 3 of us headed back. We got their around 1:30 and stayed with no action until about 4 pm.
We then headed toward the house and got a bite to eat and went to another location that I have hunted every year for the last 6 seasons.

I knew the pattern of these birds really well, so started walking to a known roost area for these birds.
Once we got to the feild I peeked around the corner and there was 6 hens and 3 jakes but one was what I called a monster jake [:D] this jake was a whopper.
We turned and headed back so that we could make a huge circle around  and get on the back side of the patch of woods that overlooks the field.
We got setup and I called a few times but we got no response for about an hour.
Finally we had a hen giving us a little back talk, so we played with her for a bit, by now it was around 7:30 and starting to dim up quite a bit. I heard some crunching in the leaves about 30-40 yards to our right, so I let out a raspy 3 note yelp and he hammered back at me.

Devin had his gun up, he was shaking and breathing heavy lol I whispered to settle down it was only a turkey and if we didn't get him today we could come back another.

This bird was close but we couldn't see him, I didn't make another call I just wanted to wait for him to show hisself. We waited about 5 minutes and here came a hen 10 yards in front of us, she flew up to the roost, then another one, and another one. I thought well it's too late to harvest one now, they will be up in the trees so I will just sit here and video these hens in the tree. Then came 3 silver hens again 10 yards in front of me, I am setting there filming them and Devin whispers "what sre those,can I shoot them?" I tell him no, and one of the hens suspects something fishy and gets a little nervous.

We had set up so that he had alot of cover around him, I knew with him being only 11 years old he would be fidgety so I had put a brush pile that was about 3 feet high and 8 yards long to our right, suspecting them to come in from that way.

As I was filming the silver hens I look through the brush and see 3 redheads 12 paces from us. The lead bird takes a step out from behind the brush pile 8 yards from my feet and I whisper take him...Boom! the bird rolls down the hill and the hens are scattering and jakes gobbling ...sounded like a war zone lol

I look at Devin and he is sitting there pretty as you please without expression and I reach over excited as those hens that flew off the roost just then to shake his hand and tell him congrat's. And he acts like a seasoned vet and says "Thanks for that Dave" walks over and picks up his bird.

I tell you what fellas, after 15 hours of hunting and having the joy of seeing a couple kids get birds I would be content if the season was over today. If you haven't ever experienced taking a few fine young men/women out on a hunt you should try it before you hang up your hunting boots.

I had the priviledge to get both hunts Saturday on film and a few pictures that I will cherish for a long time.

Sorry for being longwinded but here are the pics of the 2nd hunt, Hope you enjoy. Note it was late by the time we got home so the lighting isn't that great, but hopefully we will have some video soon.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

dewey

RE: Saturday's 2nd Youth Day Hunt

Postby dewey » April 6th, 2009, 6:36 am

Please tell Devin congratulations from me on his turkey and thanks for the very good story.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 6th, 2009, 6:53 am

Busta, My congrats to Devin and to you for taking time to take those young men hunting.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 6th, 2009, 9:01 am

Way to go Devin !! And nice job Busta.!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion