Saturday's Youth Day Hunt

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

Saturday's Youth Day Hunt

Postby tracebusta32 » April 6th, 2009, 5:09 am

As I mentioned before I had two kids lined up to take out on youth day this year, I planned to take my son Tyler for the morning hunt and then Devin an 11 year old who loves to hunt but doesn't have anyone to take him out much.
Tyler, myself and my brother got into the woods at 6 a.m, we put my brother in a blind so that he could do the video work, Tyler and I set up in a small feild that had shown plenty of sign that the gobs used this area often.
Day break hit around 6:50 a.m and IMO due to the massive winds and storm that had hit us Friday night the birds decided to be quiet. I made a few calls and finally we heard an answer around 7:45.
We quickly moved our setup about 15 yards to the backend of the feild so that we could see the logging road at a longer distance. Once we got situated I called again and had one bark back at me, then I heard a hen cut between us. I thought oh well their goes that oppurtunity, it went silent for about 10 minutes.
I then mimicked a hen fight with the slate and mouth call, 3 minutes later we could see 4 turkeys in a full sprint coming down the logging road. 1 stopped suddenly and went into a full strut and came out of it almost as quickly as he went into it and commenced to running toward the feild again.
In the heat of the battle I didn't notice Tyler had lowered his gun, so we had 4 gobs running at us. Once the got to the feild they slowed to a cautious walk, I told Tyler to slowly lift his gun...he was shaking pretty bad and I just knew we would get busted but he managed to get it up just before the lead dog caught movement.
They got to within 25 yards of us and the lead bird got nervous and he turned to walk the other way, so I whispered for Tyler to take one.....Boom! 4 birds scattered, but all 4 were still standing....Boom! he hits the bird, bird flops, gets up and takes off.....Boom! birds rolls across the road gets up and takes off again.... I take the gun from him and reload it, we walk to the edge of the woods and theirs the bird, he takes off again...Boom! and finally we have harvested the Iron turkey.
I had hoped to get the boy a big Tom, but I think the hens stole him from us, but the 4 jakes came running and Tyler was happy to harvest a bird on youth day.
So now that the 1st hunt was over and it was only 8:30 a.m I thought, man we might be able to get 2 birds today and still have time to work in the garden a bit.
Here is the pic of the first hunt, I will work on getting the video of the hunt on you tube and post a link later on. I will post a 2nd thread for the 2nd hunt of the day.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Saturday's Youth Day Hunt

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 6th, 2009, 6:12 am

Busta, Tell Tyler congrats on his bird.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

RE: Saturday's Youth Day Hunt

Postby tracebusta32 » April 6th, 2009, 11:24 am

Will do Ozark, the boys will look at their pictures here tonight to see if they are really online lol
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion