Easier to Kill?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: Easier to Kill?

Postby mark hay » February 25th, 2009, 4:01 pm

spring '98 was not my first time to turkey hunt ,,,but it was when i became determined to learn how to work the bird and kill him . the first time i drove through the public hunting area i got a close up look at a flock of no less than 100 birds . that first season i worked a bunch of birds without firing a shot. some mornings there were so many toms gobbling that it was hard to decide which way to go,,,didn't matter anyway ,,,i messed up all attempts to seal the deal.
each year since then it seems there are less birds gobbling. i've been told by several hunters that the DIV. OF WILD. has gone in there and trapped a lot of birds for transplanting,,,i am not sure if this is true. one thing i am sure of is there are a lot more coyotes in that area now verses ten years ago , and they no doubt are taking some birds .
haven't seen a flock of that size since but there are still a great number of birds in the 4250 acre area. they are still workable and shootable . i think that patience is vital , whether you hunt private or public. i think we can fill a tag whether the numbers of turkeys are very high , average , or very low. seems that if we get 2 - 3 days without a lot of gobbling , most hunters pull out and HUNT for some new place to HUNT .
i like turkey hunting , but i don't particularly like the FLASH HUNT. I don't want it to get easy,,,i like a challenge . i appreciate it when a gobbler keeps me humble , and after hunting several days without working a bird , when i do strike a bird and work on him and squeeze the trigger,,,,,well the taste is oh so sweet!

'' old school turkey tactics ''

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 26th, 2009, 4:24 am

Not sure about that, I read somewhere that the bird that our early ancestors encountered was not the bird that us modern hunters see today, wild turkeys were friendly towards people and were as trusting and unwary as they were plentiful.

I read where a hunter could go and steal a brood of chicks from the mother.They came so close to people they could be shot with a pistol. They roosted close to where the settlers built fires. They were notoriously indifferent to disturbance at roost, which made shooting them at night very popular.

Turkeys were neither respected nor protected, I think it was A.W Schorger who said that.

ORIGINAL: thundrchikin

Right on Fan Club, more does not always mean better,it can be quite the opposite.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 26th, 2009, 1:57 pm

i seriously doubt that stuff to be true . with cougars , bobcats , song dogs and wolves roaming the woods and prairies and a fair number of native american woodsmen i think that it wasn't much different than today . i don't believe the turkey began to spook at movement after the white man came to this continent and began to kill them. what was the purpose of indians having wingbone calls if all he had to do was walk up and club the tame and fearless creature ?

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » February 26th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Yes there are more turkeys and a lot more HUNTERS,now there in the woods the first WEEK!!!! i love to hunt Tuesdays thru Friday ,most guys cant get off in the middle of the week..Good luck and see the beard before you shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you cant bring it back....Russ,zipperman

scout,scout and scout some more!!!

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 6th, 2009, 5:53 am

in my area there are more birds to hunt then before. but have more hunters also. but i hunt everyday until i get one so i just go with it.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 6th, 2009, 8:45 am

All things being equal, gobblers, one on one, are harder to kill today than they were 20-30 years ago.

More turkeys maybe, depending on where you are.
More hunters, probably, depending on where you are.
Same acres, period.  They ain't making any more acres so where are you going to put the "more hunters"?  On top on each other, that is where.  Hence, turkeys are harder to kill today than 20-30 years ago, no matter how many more turkeys you may have.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 6th, 2009, 12:32 pm

if a feller hunts enough he or she will eventually have one of those birds that runs hard every step of the way to the gun . i've experienced 3 such birds in 11 seasons.
i've also had a lot of tough to work birds on private as well as public. also the public land where i hunt is sometimes crowded in places ,,,i just avoid those places .
it's always a real boost to my confidence when it is late in the season on public land and i soundly convince a pressured bird to come in for a look .

''old school turkey tactics ''

Jim Spencer

Postby Jim Spencer » March 8th, 2009, 12:13 pm

It's easier to find a turkey to hunt that it was when I started chasing them in 1978, but nowadays it's harder to kill that individual bird once you find him than it was then. That's the way it seems to me, at least.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » March 8th, 2009, 1:51 pm

I've only been hunting turkey for 12 years now, I have a much harder time getting birds to come in now compared to the late 90's.  I think more hunters are the biggest factor, at least on the parcels I hunt.
Brad

"Without hunting there would be no conservation, without conservation there would be no wildlife."
-Rob Keck

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 5th, 2009, 4:34 pm

ORIGINAL: Jim Spencer

It's easier to find a turkey to hunt that it was when I started chasing them in 1978, but nowadays it's harder to kill that individual bird once you find him than it was then. That's the way it seems to me, at least.

Absatively, posalutely true on both counts. Probably a variety of reasons for both, too. Turkey populations are higher than they were in the '70s, so we hear more of them sounding off. But there are more of them for each other to find, too, so we have more competition from other turkeys. We also have more predators (where I live), so turkeys might be more cautious. And we definitely have more turkey hunters, so more competition within our ranks.

It all makes for an interesting hunt every day we can get out.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion