Easier to Kill?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

Easier to Kill?

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 9:02 am

Whats your opinions on the wild turkey being easier to harvest now that most states populations are starting to grow?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

dmcianfa

RE: Easier to Kill?

Postby dmcianfa » February 24th, 2009, 10:04 am

grow in population size of the turkeys?  I believe this is what you mean.  I'm not so sure in my state if the wild turkey is any easier to kill than when I first got into the game.  Granted there were less turkeys around, but if you did yer homework and knew where they were they put up the same kinda fight that I get today.  hmmmm[:)]
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 24th, 2009, 10:35 am

I would say the Turkeys in my area gobble less than they did say 20 to 30 years ago. With the increased population of Turkeys I don't feel that they have to run up and down the hillsides looking for love like they did back then. You had the hard birds to hunt and the ones that you had to kill in self defense then as you do now. But as a hole they just seem more tight lipped to me when there toe's touch the ground these days.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 10:46 am

Yes I meant in regard to the turkey population growth

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 24th, 2009, 11:48 am

I know there's alot more gobblers around where I hunt. It used to be that when you call a gobbler in just 1 would show up. I've noticed the past few years or so that when I would call one in there would be 2 or more other gobblers with him. I only thought that happened on the videos. [:D]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 24th, 2009, 1:38 pm

There are more turkey's now than say 10 years ago, at least where I hunt these day's.  More opportunities to harvest a good number of 2 and 3 year olds.  Hunting pressure has not been the same.  The old timers are not in the woods and the next generation is just not there, like expected.
Kids today have all other types of sports, computers and other activities to ocupy their time other than hunting.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 24th, 2009, 1:39 pm

I do not know about easier, but today if you screw up on one you can go try another 2nd or 3rd bird the same morning. Before it was if you heard a couple gobblers in the spring the whole season you had a good year. If you killed one you had a great year. In the fall if you found a flock you were successful.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 24th, 2009, 2:00 pm

Easier to kill prolly wasn't a good headline, but I was hoping some of the ole timers would get on here and give their thoughts on it..more turkeys mean more pressure....

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Turkeys are just easier to find now, not easier to kill.

When populations increase, you get a number of factors that work against you as well. More hens means more competition and more henned up gobblers. More turkeys means more sets of eyes and ears to defeat.

Missouri has always led the nation in turkey population. The turkeys there seem to be tougher for the reasons listed above. As Ozark pointed out, they also gobble very little after leaving the roost, they don't need to.

Michigan is just now reaching a third of the turkey population Missouri has. The birds here are a bit easier to call up and will gobble much later into the day.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 25th, 2009, 10:55 am

Right on Fan Club, more does not always mean better,it can be quite the opposite.
canecreekcalls.com

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion