Is it just me?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Everyday Hunter

Is it just me?

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 5th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Do you do what I do? Funny thing -- no matter how difficult my hunting was last season, no matter what hard knocks the gobblers give me, no matter how many days I drag myself home birdless, no matter how much frustration I endure, it seems like the coming season always promises to be easier. Is it just me?

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Turkeybuster

RE: Is it just me?

Postby Turkeybuster » April 5th, 2009, 4:51 pm

That is called wishful thinking and I think we all have it I know I do its sort of like a light in the end of the tunnel you just hope it isn't a TRAIN!
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 5th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Hey Steve,

I believe that's true. It's what inspires us to do most things that we do. It's the desire to do better than we did before and accomplish more than we did before that can keep us going, year after year, regardless of the activity.

Years ago I raced over the road bicycles. I competed in 6 day races, road races, point-to-point races, criteriums and time trials. I was always in the race and never dropped out no matter what my place or how I felt. It taught me a lot about myself and how important it is to just keep on trying. You never know when someone in front of you will drop out, crash or have an equipment failure and you'll win.

I think it's the same with turkey hunting or anything else for that matter. If we go at it and believe that the outcome will be positive, we have a real chance of success. We may get lucky and it's been my experience that the harder we work, the luckier we get.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 6th, 2009, 1:00 am

everyday hunter a new way of thinking for ya . i got to the age where i dont get frustratated about comeing home without a bird i thank god i get to hunt another season and i get to spend time in the woods .just do the best you can and if old tom gets the best of you tip your hat and be happy you had the chance.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 6th, 2009, 3:21 am

Time has a way of helping you forget disappointment. You can't help but to be eager for a new turkey season. You never know what might happen and the adventures you'll experience.  Even though I go home most days without birds, the satisfaction of succeeding makes the pursuit worthwhile.  I try to learn every day I am in the woods, so even though going home empty-handed was never the plan, it just makes me want to hunt harder and be a better turkey hunter the next time out.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » April 6th, 2009, 4:03 am

Sometimes, I think it's the near misses and almost opportunities that keep the drive alive.  Like Cut N Run, I try to learn something every time I'm out there.  I log new information away in the back of my brain about habitat, weather conditions, noises, animal behavior, ect.  Then there's the missed opportunity or at least a potential opportunity missed and I try to analyze what went wrong.

Yesterday was definetely a learning experience about turkey behavior.  I hunted a U.S. Army installation (Fort Jackson, SC) and the training area I had to hunt had a large game field on it.  Unfortunately the game field was only about 500 yards or so from a perimeter road that formed the boundary between my area and another training area that was active.  I heard tree yelps coming from the active area when I walked in at daybreak.  I got to the field and I set up on it with a pop-up blind.  All was cool and quiet until about 0830 hours.........that's when the still morning air was shattered by the whistle and subsequent BOOM of morter rounds landing maybe 1000-1500 yards to the west of me.  They weren't live rounds that throw shrappnel, but they were just as loud.

After about 30 minutes of this off and on, coupled with automatic rifle fire and voices yelling back over that way, I decided that no wildlife could possibly be in the locale anymore.  So I decided to get out of my blind and go scout the area for sign.  I wanted to see what the area looked like on the far end of this field anyway.  I took a 45 minute walk using fire break roads just going around my elbow to get back to my thumb.  I walked up on my field again (battle still raging all the while) and non-chalantly stepped back into the field.......................only to bump a turkey that was feeding through.  I didn't notice a beard, but it looked pretty big to be a hen.  It had only been about 100 yards from my blind and seemed to be working it's way that direction.

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » April 6th, 2009, 4:05 am

I think that sometimes the hard knocks that we learn from the gobblers sometimes makes you look at going back out more than if you got a bird every time you went out. When I learn something new, I'm always excited to get back out there to see if I can put that knowledge to good use.

That, put together with the fact that between work, kids and other obligations I don't get a chance to get out hunting as much as I'd like (everyday if it work up to me [;)]), I'm ways looking forward to the next chance to get out and chance turkeys (or ducks, or deer, or pheasants, or bass, or bluegills, etc.......).

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 6th, 2009, 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: grizzly

everyday hunter a new way of thinking for ya . i got to the age where i dont get frustratated about comeing home without a bird i thank god i get to hunt another season and i get to spend time in the woods .just do the best you can and if old tom gets the best of you tip your hat and be happy you had the chance.

That's a good point, and one I've learned to appreciate. It's not a new way of thinking for me. I'm old enough to have learned that long ago. Over the years, some of the gobblers that have beaten me are as memorable as the ones that I beat.

I used the word "frustrated," and I do sometimes come home frustrated, but I'm old enough to never be frustrated about not killing something. Exhausted, yes. Wondering what I could have done differently, yes. Kicking myself for obvious mistakes, yes. But not pulling the trigger, no. The hunt is the cake -- the kill is the icing. Unless I kill one on opening day, there are gobblers that get the best of me every season. But cake is still cake even if it doesn't have icing.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

Postby shaman » April 6th, 2009, 5:54 am

I was the guy who spent the first 10 years of his turkey hunting career driving 3 hours each direction for one half-day of turkey hunting per year.  I hunted on land that only occasionally had turkeys roosting on it, and my only hope was to get out to a likely spot on the 70 acres and call loud enough that a gobbler might wander on. 

It took me 5 years just to see my first gobbler in season, with my shotgun in hand. I was sitting with my back to the fencepost on the back corner of the property and I spied a gobbler 300 yards away strutting on the neighbor's driveway.  I called to him for about a half hour, but never got him to come a yard closer. That was probably a rookie mistake-- if i'd shut up, he might have come in.  It didn't make any difference, then or now.  It was just such a gas seeing the bird, I didn't care.

I did it all those years, not because it was easy, but because it was impossible.  I don't want to sound like Jack Kennedy here, but the biggest reason why I did it was that I wanted something improbable and unreachable in my life.  Previous to this, I'd been into sports like caving where failure brought up images of body bags. I wanted something I could fail at reliably and safely.  I did the same thing with bow hunting;  I always felt that the victory was getting out of the sleeping bag and getting up the tree. 

This is all one of the big reasons I've tried to facilitate hunting for my sons.  It helps tremendously for their hunting success that we now live on 200 acres of prime deer and turkey land.  Still, they're going to have to get out and do it themselves.  They're the ones that have to pry themselves away from the computer games and  make the commitment.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 6th, 2009, 9:12 am

I think that's why we are turkey hunters. Never to gave up but to keep on going.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion