crows & turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: crows & turkeys

Postby mark hay » April 7th, 2009, 12:33 pm

the crow is a very intellegent bird for sure . they can see as well as turkeys . and they have a way of comunicating to one another that lets the gang come over and get into the action .
 on those turkey hunting days , when nothing is happening , i'll use my crow calls [ two different sounding calls ] to actually work on the crows . get them all stirred up and making one heck of a bunch of noise ,,,,sometimes it'll get ol' tom to give out a gobble . but in my opinion, this should be done with a hunting partner . send the pard off 100 yards or so . if the crows do come , and they get all worked up , it will be loud ,,,,too loud to hear a gobbler if he sounds off . by putting the non-calling man or woman away from the noise will be beneficial to hearing .

swpatrkyhunter

RE: crows & turkeys

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 7th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Good point Mark!

And I have done that with my hunting buddy. Sometime where your at the crows can hear you hit the crow call but the turkeys ca'nt. Which makes sense cause the crows usually are in the air or trees when they are not picking at the ground. So we slpit up on a ridge line and when we hear crows in one direction he goes in that direction to be able to hear better. I'll hit the call again and get them stirred up and sometimes he can hear a tom gobbling in a bottom near where the crows are. So get them started and sometimes toms that can hear them but not you will shock gobble.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion