crows & turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

crows & turkeys

Postby onpoint » April 2nd, 2009, 3:38 pm

I hear lots of old timers talk about using crows to help them locate longbeards. Not to make them shock gobble. They are talking about times when gobblin' is scarce and the action is slow. They said they always took time to check out  a group of crows that seem to be particularly agitated and concentrated in an area for an extended period of time. Any of you guys have experience in such matters?

trkyklr

RE: crows & turkeys

Postby trkyklr » April 2nd, 2009, 4:09 pm

crows are known to torment turkeys...like a mocking bird does a cat 

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2009, 4:14 pm

That's true. While I hesitate to call them natural enemies, crows and turkeys don't really like each other. Often times when you hear crows fussing there are turkeys moving through the area. But not always, so it's not a reliable indicator. Just file it away as something to pay attention to when it occurs.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 2nd, 2009, 4:45 pm

I was hunting a gobbler one morning and a group of crows came in and tormented the crap out of that gobbler. I couldn't hardly hear him gobble they were so loud. I didn't get him that day but did the next.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

shaman

Postby shaman » April 3rd, 2009, 3:37 am

The turkeys and crows around our place seem to coexist pretty well.  I haven't seen any altercations.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 3rd, 2009, 4:28 am

I watched some birds feeding in a winter wheat field last week and some crows decided to join the turkeys.When the crows pitched in the field a couple of the gobblers ran them off.
Turkeybuster

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 3rd, 2009, 5:03 am

I witnessed a crow and a group of jakes fight for close to an hour in a feild last year, very funny to say the least. That crow had that bird so tore up  I could have walked right up to him.
I have had crows find birds for me on a couple of occasions but it doesn't work most of the time. 
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Beards n Spurs

Postby Beards n Spurs » April 6th, 2009, 5:35 pm

One time I seen this Crow dive bombing and cawing causing this Gig Ole Longbeard to Gobble Everytime that crow caw cawed and dive bombed at his head........

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 6th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I noticed a few years ago that wherever I heard crows makeing racket there usually was Turkeys somwhere in the area. So whenever the gobbling has fallen into a lull I use the crows to kind of guide me to areas where turkeys may be.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

shaman

Postby shaman » April 7th, 2009, 1:46 am

Now that I've seen.    Quite often the crows go off nearby shortly before I hear hens.  I also frequently have crows come by after making a run of calls. 

This may be attributing too much intelligence to crows, but I've met up with a pet talking crow and frankly they're a little too smart for my taste.  I usually have crows come by and check me out when I'm hunting-- crows and hawks both.  Frequently I get crows sounding off close by just as a flock starts getting near.  I've always figured the crows could figure out there was an opportunity for some action and were alerting their buddies. I've had the same thing happen just before deer came into range of my treestand.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion