New to turkey hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
77RANGER

New to turkey hunting

Postby 77RANGER » April 7th, 2009, 10:59 am

HEY Ya'll Im brand new at this turkey hunting but so far its a blast. Been deer hunting all my life. Good buddy is getting me into turkey hunting. Getting o k with slate and box call but can't figure out this dang mouth calls. I shot mossberg 500a with ported barrel and rem. high velocity magnum 3in 5 shot any one recommend good choke. I've been looking at the h s under taker and a comp-n-choke just not sure what size. Look forward to talking to you boys and gals.

dewey

RE: New to turkey hunting

Postby dewey » April 7th, 2009, 11:09 am

Welcome to the forum 77!  Ipersonally don't know anything about chokes as I am pretty new to turkey hunting myself but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here that will give you some good advice, just give them a little time to respond and you'll be happy with their help.

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » April 7th, 2009, 11:15 am

ORIGINAL: 77RANGER

HEY Ya'll Im brand new at this turkey hunting but so far its a blast. Been deer hunting all my life. Good buddy is getting me into turkey hunting. Getting o k with slate and box call but can't figure out this dang mouth calls. I shot mossberg 500a with ported barrel and rem. high velocity magnum 3in 5 shot any one recommend good choke. I've been looking at the h s under taker and a comp-n-choke just not sure what size. Look forward to talking to you boys and gals.

Welcome.

I'd spend some time searching the 'shooting' forum, and posting your question above about chokes there -- you may get a better response from the shooting tech crowd that hangs out in that forum.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 7th, 2009, 11:15 am

Welcome to the forum and to this great sport 77Ranger!

I'm sure it won't be long before you get some great advice on the choke tube question. There are some really knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to a question like that. I got some help earlier this year and it hwas a God send. As for your question about the mouth calls. My best advice to you is to get a cd with turkey sounds on it. Knight and Hale put one out called "Spitin Feathers" That is great to practice by. And I do mean practice. The more the better. Also try trimming your calls to fit into your mouth better if that is needed.Most diaphrams have instructions on how to do this safely witout damageing the call. As for how to hold the call in your mouth and such H.S. Strut has some videos you might want to check out. The H.S. University series has Mouth calling 101 and a videos called " So.... You want to be a Turkey hunter" These might help you too. They helped me alot. Because of the short time you have this year I would only be worried about getting 3 basic calls down if you really want to use a mouth call this year. The Yelp, Cluck, And If you can the purr. If you can yelp and cluck you will be in good shape. just be careful about putting with the mouth cvall. Do it too sharply and loud and it will alarm the turkeys and send them running. I made that mistake a couple of times when I first started useing diaphrams. I alarm putted and lost a couple birds that way. Good luck to you!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 7th, 2009, 11:37 am

77Ranger welcome to the flock. As far as your choke I would say a .665 ID will be a good place to start for shooting #5's. I have Kicks GT .665 in a 500 shooting Remington primer magnum 3x2x5 it throws a good pattern out to 40 yards.  You mite look at a Primos Jelly Head there are some guys getting really good patterns with them. They are compatible with the Heavy Shot shells and they aren't has hard on your bank account as some of the others.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

77RANGER

Postby 77RANGER » April 7th, 2009, 11:45 am

Hey thanks for the fast response. Looks like i'l get plenty of info on here. Can't wait to get my fisrt gobbler.

lazyhntr

Postby lazyhntr » April 7th, 2009, 12:24 pm

I have been turkey hunting about two years. I had the same question. Someone told me about allaboutshooting.com. I e-mailed Clark and he had a lot of info on choke tubes and shot size. This site is a good place to start.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 7th, 2009, 12:34 pm

yes lazyhntr is right you should go and check out Clark's site.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 7th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Hey John,

Welcome to the T&TH site. It's always good to hear of another hunter who has discovered this sport. You probably have already been warned by your friend that it is an addiction. Once you've taken the step...there's no going back and no known antidote or cure.

You've been given a lot of good advice about learning to use a mouth call. For some folks it's pretty easy but for others, most of us, it just takes a while. With persistence and practice I'm sure you'll do just fine.

There are a lot of folks who use a Mossberg 500 for their turkey gun with great success. That is a good reliable gun. I'd recommend, that to maximize the performance of your gun/choke/shotshell, that you "deep clean" your barrel. You can find an article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" with some guidelines at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

There are a number of good to excellent turkey chokes on the market. Lots of folks have a favorite or one that has performed well for them. I've had great results with the Mossberg 500 and the SSX Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=76

That choke has great internal geometry, is rated for all lead and "hard" turkey loads and is very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke.

I've also had good results with most of the 3" HV shells but always see better patterns with #6 shot. One really good load is the 3" Winchester HV (Black Shell) with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot.

Again, it's good to have you here. I know you'll find this to be a friendly place with lots of good folks who are happy to be of help.

Best of luck this spring and please let us know about your hunts.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. Thank you all for the kind words and recommendations. I'll do my best to be of help.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 7th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Well allaboutshooting,
 It is just our way of showing appreciation to you for all the help you have given us! I know I for one appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge on the many subjects dealing with this sport. Sharing each others knowledge to those who have an interest is what will keep this sport alive.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion