from SPRING '09 issue of T&TH

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: from SPRING '09 issue of T&TH

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 8th, 2009, 8:39 am

Hey Doc you'll never know until you try. You should just try and you can let the turkeys decide what they think sounds "real" good to them. Ray Eye has said that some of his very best turkey calls sounded terrible to other turkey hunters. If they don't seem to respond you can always go back to your old stand by.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 8th, 2009, 10:04 am

Take a tape recorder outside and try recording some of your calls. They sound more realistic outdoors and not as much in a closed space.  That will help give you an idea of what you sound like.  I also practice with a diaphram while driving in my truck with a turkey calls c.d. in the player (also because I have driven my wife to the edge with too much calling around the house).  It gives a better idea of the right rhythm to use.

Like anything, the more you practice, the better you will get.Good Luck!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 8th, 2009, 12:14 pm

i don't know about you all , but when i first got serious about turkey hunting ,i was always thinking about what the other hunters would think if they heard me calling . the mouth call was all i had . one call . now it wasn't like i had just started using the diaphram . i had played with several for a long time . confident ?  no way .  did it sound good to me ? i thought so .
 i was just starting to hunt a completely new hunting area , and turkeys to boot . i was intimidated to say the least . and that first day the thought hit me while i sat by a tree . what am i doing here ? TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO CALL IN A TURKEY AND KILL HIM. since that morning in '98 i made up my mind '' I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS ,,,YOU CAN'T KILL TOM IF YOU DON'T CALL HIM IN '' ,,,,,,,,,,,AND I LET IT RIP !
 by golly i could call turkeys ! couldn't killem ,,,couldn't even get a shot at 'em. but i called a bunch of birds that first season . my confidence soared . then i had to figure out the other things i was doing wrong .
STILL WORKIN' ON THAT PART !!!!
  ADVICE :  JUST USE IT ,,,A LOT ! THE MORE YOU USE IT THE MORE CONFIDENT YOU'LL BECOME .  learn from mistakes . took me five seasons to kill a bird on that ground . but it wasn't my calling that kept me from it .
impatience and wrong place setup hurt me everytime .

boone52

Postby boone52 » April 8th, 2009, 1:22 pm

I'll agree, diaphram (spel?) calls are great. It took me two years of practice of listening to tapes in my truck driving back and forth to work to become halfway decent with one. I use a good loud box call to locate the bird, then work him with a Knight and Hale Sla-tek (old yeller) with clucks and purrs and then when I think he's almost within sight, lay the friction call in my lap and finish him with little soft stuff on the mouth call.
When I'm actively hunting, I keep a diaphram call tucked in my cheek all the time. Several times I've gotten too close to a bird and couldn't move to use a box or friction call and my tucked in my cheek mouth call has come thru for me.  

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 8th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Being impatient cost me alot of turkeys over the years. That and the fact I was going deaf and didn't know it. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion